Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
I am getting more and more convinced stats don’t matter, unless you know exactly how their stats were recorded and maintained.

I was looking up info on a girl that committed in her social media to a D1 school. I was a little surprised. After more research it looks like it was an invited walk on spot.

But the odd part was when I was looking at her high school stats. Her stats were pretty good but on max preps and gamechanger she had way less strikeouts than she was claiming. Then I noticed her ERA was really low on a team that had been killed several times and she was the primary pitcher. They went back and removed the pitching stats from innings she performed badly in. If you check the stats from the teams they played she would give up 8 runs but if you looked at the stats her team published she would give up no runs and they had no pitcher of record in those innings. That isn’t the kid doing that, that is some adult manipulating stuff afterwards.

So basically don’t stress over stats because a good percentage of them are meaningless. The people that matter should be able to see right though inflated stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Stats may not be as meaningful outside the team, but they sure can matter if the coach is looking at them in terms of playing time and batting order. ROEs are, or should be, a rare thing in the scorebook. Fast kids tend to get them a bit more often, but having as many ROEs as hits is ridiculous.

Even with a bobble or bad throw, if the runner is fast enough to reach base safely with proper fielding, it's a hit. A missed/deflected ball on a running, jumping, or diving attempt is a hit. If it's a dribbler that a fielder can't get to in time, it's a hit. A scorched ball anywhere but directly to a squared up fielder is a hit. If it's something that has to be sprinted after to catch, it's a hit. If there's room for reasonable debate, it's a hit.

Keep your own book along with notations. IF the ROE thing results in her seeing a significant reduction in ABs, have a talk with coach, or have your kid do it.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Parents can't see the stats. The coaches are on the same page, we weren't using it for player evaluation, but for roster management and game-score/time stuff. We don't even update to move the fielders around after the first inning, besides pitcher. The work involved with doing that, or doing "single." R3 safe. R2 to third "on throw", batter to second "on last play" or whatever is too much to do AND also do all the coach stuff, give high fives, whatever. For what value? Slightly more accurate stats that aren't good for anything anyway? Pass. We can revisit at 12u.

Gotcha. Whatever works for y'all.

But it's really not hard to do GameChanger. Most of us outsource it to a non-coach.

Oct 4, 2018
I don’t share stats with players until end of season.
I’ve found if players know their batting stats, they tend to try to maintain their stat level rather than doing what needs to be done to help the team score such as hitting behind runner.
That’s one reason that I don’t like GC. Another is I have scorebooks from 50+ years ago, no electronics will last even close to that long.
My bro and I sometimes dig out the old scorebooks to reminisce, it’s surprising how much of a particular game you remember with a scorebook’s help.
I do use the stats from previous innings or even games vs the same team to look for tendencies in hitting to move our fielders a few steps to give them an edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your thoughts on how long GC stats will live on the Internet are possibly incorrect. No reason to think they won't last forever. Not that it matters, as who really cares after a year or two.

I feel stats should be public. And girls should see them. They belong to the girls -- they are their stats. Hiding them from them seems a bit odd to me. Plus, these girls are smart. They keep the stats themselves. After games they put 2-3 with a double into their phones, and keep their stats themselves. It's not hard.

Oct 4, 2018
we schedule/notify through TeamSnap. Out of my hands. So it's just the scoring, and I honestly feel it's much much easier to use an app than a book. Plus even though parents can't see stat lines, they CAN follow along. Helps them know who's up when, and the score, so they don't have to come over and bother us. That's really it. It works for us. I'm not looking for the stats to be accurate. This is also my first year doing GC so I wasn't quite as fast in the beginning and just wanted to get the runs in and get back to the other things I was doing. Particularly if we were light on coaches for a game.

I do remember hesitantly volunteering to do GameChanger for a 10U team. And the first few times it's hard and you can easily get behind and not find the right options. Do know it gets much easier. It gets so easy (over time) that you can do it while having a conversation, while videoing your kid's at bats, etc.

It really does become second nature over time. Perhaps while your parents still can't see stats, you slowly try awarding hits and errors and steals and such so that come 12U you're ready to go.

Oct 4, 2018
I never said it's better. I said it's more meaningful.

Allowing a parent to run GC is a sign of apathy from the coach. Using parent-run GC as anything official is a joke. I've considered using GC just so people can follow along with the game, but I can promise I would never, ever even look at it because I keep my own book.

That's your opinion. Many of us parents around the country run GC for the coaches and do it well. And we even confer with the coach on how they want to put in certain plays. And coaches can easily take 5 minutes after a game and make any changes they want to GC.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I never said it's better. I said it's more meaningful.

Allowing a parent to run GC is a sign of apathy from the coach. Using parent-run GC as anything official is a joke. I've considered using GC just so people can follow along with the game, but I can promise I would never, ever even look at it because I keep my own book.

One of those generalizations that doesn't hold up. Granted this was with an older group, but DD's team had two moms working GC and a scorebook side-by-side. While not always perfect, it was plenty usable.

Apr 14, 2022
That's your opinion. Many of us parents around the country run GC for the coaches and do it well. And we even confer with the coach on how they want to put in certain plays. And coaches can easily take 5 minutes after a game and make any changes they want to GC.
I usually look at opposing teams GC to confirm. They agree 70-80% of the time.
The remaining most are understandable differences in scoring opinion, maybe 1 error vs hit. About 5%, they are obvious team manipulation, all hits no errors, runs deleted from pitcher, etc.
One team removed our teams name, another did not use their name (understood this one as 1/3 of the team playing school ball).
I think 95% of the stats are pretty accurate.

Jun 11, 2013
Game change (or Iscore) is great. You can get stats quickly. Most people do a decent job of keeping the book. I work for a high level of Minor league baseball and the H/E is very often a close call either way. The Official scorer will often look at replays between innings on a close play. At a softball tournament you don't have much time or replay so they make the call. If you try and do everything right the stats are useful at least for your team. On every H/E there is a continuum where it might be 40/60 H/E versus a ground ball that just goes between the SS's legs. Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Oct 4, 2018
I usually look at opposing teams GC to confirm. They agree 70-80% of the time.
The remaining most are understandable differences in scoring opinion, maybe 1 error vs hit. About 5%, they are obvious team manipulation, all hits no errors, runs deleted from pitcher, etc.
One team removed our teams name, another did not use their name (understood this one as 1/3 of the team playing school ball).
I think 95% of the stats are pretty accurate.

Yes, always interesting to compare how the two teams score the same game. I agree, about 80% the same. I've never seen any stats removed or changed. Differences are just hits/errors, wild pitch/passed ball type stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles