Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Your bias is definitely showing. No reason to think HS GC is any better than travel GC at the same age range. Our HS GC is run by an "Assistant Coach" that's really just a glorified average softball mom in the dugout and the scorekeeping is laughably bad and incredibly biased. I'm certain we're not unique in this respect.
Our HS Game Changer is done by a parent, who naturally has a kid on the team. She doesn't even sit in the dugout. I'm not sure, but I think the "official" scorebook is handled the same way.

Edit: Actually, I think a parent scores the game in the scorebook, and then one of the coaches puts the info into GC after the game.

May 3, 2023
I don’t share stats with players until end of season.
I’ve found if players know their batting stats, they tend to try to maintain their stat level rather than doing what needs to be done to help the team score such as hitting behind runner.
That’s one reason that I don’t like GC. Another is I have scorebooks from 50+ years ago, no electronics will last even close to that long.
My bro and I sometimes dig out the old scorebooks to reminisce, it’s surprising how much of a particular game you remember with a scorebook’s help.
I do use the stats from previous innings or even games vs the same team to look for tendencies in hitting to move our fielders a few steps to give them an edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
I don’t share stats with players until end of season.
I’ve found if players know their batting stats, they tend to try to maintain their stat level rather than doing what needs to be done to help the team score such as hitting behind runner.
That’s one reason that I don’t like GC. Another is I have scorebooks from 50+ years ago, no electronics will last even close to that long.
My bro and I sometimes dig out the old scorebooks to reminisce, it’s surprising how much of a particular game you remember with a scorebook’s help.
I do use the stats from previous innings or even games vs the same team to look for tendencies in hitting to move our fielders a few steps to give them an edge.

I just hate it when a runner on third nobody out and the batter hits a double in the gap instead of a grounder to second.

Aug 5, 2022
I just don’t understand how difficult it is to keep a fairly accurate book/gc. Yea there may be some minor disagreement between a hit vs an error and I always score that on what is advantageous to our team….while still trying to be fair to our pitching staff as well. If you don’t know the basic rules of softball scoring just from watching your kid play I’m really confused.

Jun 18, 2023
As far as I know, there aren't any settings on GC that would allow only staff members to see stats, unless no parents are invited/listed with the team. If that's the case, why use GC if you're not taking full advantage of scheduling/notifications/messaging? A plain old scorebook would honestly be much easier. Not starting any drama, but honestly asking.

we schedule/notify through TeamSnap. Out of my hands. So it's just the scoring, and I honestly feel it's much much easier to use an app than a book. Plus even though parents can't see stat lines, they CAN follow along. Helps them know who's up when, and the score, so they don't have to come over and bother us. That's really it. It works for us. I'm not looking for the stats to be accurate. This is also my first year doing GC so I wasn't quite as fast in the beginning and just wanted to get the runs in and get back to the other things I was doing. Particularly if we were light on coaches for a game.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
we schedule/notify through TeamSnap. Out of my hands. So it's just the scoring, and I honestly feel it's much much easier to use an app than a book. Plus even though parents can't see stat lines, they CAN follow along. Helps them know who's up when, and the score, so they don't have to come over and bother us. That's really it. It works for us. I'm not looking for the stats to be accurate. This is also my first year doing GC so I wasn't quite as fast in the beginning and just wanted to get the runs in and get back to the other things I was doing. Particularly if we were light on coaches for a game.
I get it.. You're still in 10u and new to all this.

I think the sentiment in your feedback from this group is, "if you're going to do it, why not do it right?" Scoring with GC and *gasp* AGL is EASY! It doesn't matter how many throwing errors or weird plays happen, it is easy to score in near real time and still hold a conversation.

What is the reason to not score it correctly?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Your bias is definitely showing. No reason to think HS GC is any better than travel GC at the same age range. Our HS GC is run by an "Assistant Coach" that's really just a glorified average softball mom in the dugout and the scorekeeping is laughably bad and incredibly biased. I'm certain we're not unique in this respect.

I never said it's better. I said it's more meaningful.

Allowing a parent to run GC is a sign of apathy from the coach. Using parent-run GC as anything official is a joke. I've considered using GC just so people can follow along with the game, but I can promise I would never, ever even look at it because I keep my own book.

Jun 18, 2023
I get it.. You're still in 10u and new to all this.

I think the sentiment in your feedback from this group is, "if you're going to do it, why not do it right?" Scoring with GC and *gasp* AGL is EASY! It doesn't matter how many throwing errors or weird plays happen, it is easy to score in near real time and still hold a conversation.

What is the reason to not score it correctly?

well, I am doing it correctly for what I need it do. I'm not just not fully utilizing it. The stats don't matter to me/us so I don't worry about them. It's not like I'm just chatting though, I'm often grabbing the bat, or yelling at someone to run/slide/advance/get back. Making sure the on deck/in the hole hitters are aware of that. Warming up a pitcher, chewing out the . Absolutely sometimes I have more time when there are more coaches present, etc, and I can be a little more precise, but it just doesn't matter, hence me asking about when people start really looking at this stuff.

It's 10u, the difference between a single to left-center and a triple into the gap is often just who's playing CF (and SS). It just doesn't have much value. I need to know where the runners are now and who's up, i'm not particularly interested in how they got there.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

You know what really helps teams score? Getting hits. In fact, a hit is better in every single possible situation than an out, so, you know, kudos to your players for trying to get hits over making outs on purpose to "help the team."

May 3, 2023
I didn’t say make outs on purpose, I said players who know their stats then to try to maintain there stats and by doing so their batting averages tend to go down. Whether their 10I or 18+!
I’ve coached from 12U to18+ and 25 yrs of HS ball. I’ve it happen too many times.
I, also, don’t like to tell my teams the score during the game, if they’re paying attention, they know who’s ahead. They should play every game like it’s a 1-1 tie!
If they do they’ll win more games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles