ARE ALL HITS CREATED EQUAL?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2015
South
During the course of an entire season, the hard hit outs and dink singles even out. However, there can be stretches where a batter can be unusually lucky or unlucky.

Jul 5, 2016
Are there statistics for over analysis? At what point to you prefer a batter who hits only singles at a rate of .350 to a batter who only hits home runs at a much lower rate - say .08.

Oh, this could be fun. Assume you are provided with the batting averages of the other 7 batters. What is you line up.

I believe in high school math, we called this word problems.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
You guys are using QABs right?

A Quality At-Bats is any plate appearance that results in a:

• Hard it ball
  • Walk
  • 8 Pitch At-Bat
  • Sac Bunt/Fly
  • Move Runners Over w/ Less than 2 Outs
  • Base Hit

Not a big fan of that. Walk could just mean the pitcher was wild. 8-pitch at-bats means batter failed to square up at least 4 times, sometimes 8. Sac fly and moving runners w/ outs are situational and often just luck and are still outs. Etc.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
coming from another post conversation.
What 260' looks like

Are all hits created equal?
Are miss hits just as valid as a solid hit?
Talking about any miss hit or solid hit that gets a batter on base... or maybe turns out to be a homerun!!!
Are all hits created equal?
Or should there be a separate average and determination for a miss hit versus a solid hit?

Hmmm a miss hit batting average?

Enjoy!

MLB teams have stats on trajectory and exit speed. Also swings/misses, which can be further analyzed by swings at pitches in the zone, out of the zone. With enough technology, it's feasible to develop ''expected stats'' based on the quality of the batted ball for any player. For example, balls with a certain exit speed and trajectory are singles, doubles, triples, etc., a certain percentage of the time. I'm sure it could be determine how ''lucky'' a player was over the course of a season so that you might conclude that ''Ozzie Albies hit .268 this season, but the 427 balls that he put in play had an ''expected'' batting average of .299, meaning he hit an inordinate number of balls right at people.

Also remember that traditional stats weren't invented purely for evaluation. It's just scorekeeping. Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941. What he deserved to hit wasn't the point. So there's no reason to get rid of any current stats. But yes, I think there's merit in finding other metrics with the technology we have today, and I suspect we'll see more and more.

May 6, 2015
I think you have to take a look at and take into account all available stats, and also take into consideration what the eyes. DD "struggled" in the fall, was hitting the ball hard a lot, but a lot right at people, either for infield ground outs or line drives/pop fly outs. HC encouraged her, told her she was doing exactly what he wanted, and to keep doing it, and they would start falling. lo and behold, doing pretty well this spring, in top 5 or 6 on her team in most offensive categories (and this team hits the ball, he almost always bats lineup because he says he is confident 1-12 can do the job).

Nov 4, 2015
The reason batting average doesn't have a ton of value is it cannot answer two important questions: How often does the runner get on base? How much damage are they doing when they do get a hit?

How often does the runner get on base?

Pretty sure that by definition of a hit, the batter is on base. (i know there is an exception to this....but it is rare)

How much damage are they doing when they do get a hit?

Batting average doesn't show damage, but that's what other stats are for. You can see if they are hitting double, triples, or HR's. You can see rbi's.

I want a high batting average and high on base percentage. Now deciding how that fits in the lineup with other batters with different strengths is debatable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01