NAIA ruling on Transgender athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2021
The article actually provides proof of an advantage.
“A further cross-sectional study examining muscle strength using a hand grip dynamometer in trans women who had completed an average of 14.1 ± 3.5 years GAHT found that, on average, the muscle strength data of trans women fell below that of cisgender men but was significantly greater (16%) than the values of cisgender women. 75 Most studies assessing muscle strength have utilized grip strength which has not been adjusted for hand size”

Adjust for hand size? I can hear coaches now.
Coach “Did you look at the two pitchers this weekend?”
Recruiter “Yes, Mary was throwing 70 with 1500 rpm, Amy 63 with 1300 rpm.”
Coach “Ok but did you adjust for hand size?”
Recruiter “Of coarse that is what really matters. Mary has hands like Kawhi Leonard and Amy has small hands. So when I adjust Mary only throws 64 with 1300 rpm. Amy would throw 67 with 1400 rpm.”
Coach “Great get that offer into Amy. Since we know larger hands helping velocity and spin provides no competitive advantage.”
How dare you bring common sense into the discussion

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Say Shaq was a transgender person when he was in college. If you gave 19 y/o Shaquille O'Neal hormones for 1 year at age 20 he would have no advantage over his female competition? Do you really need a scientific study to tell you

Shaq didn't become to 7'1" and weigh 325 because he's a man. Size is mostly due to genetics.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
We create separate classes in sports to create the most opportunity for the greatest number of athletes, and to ensure fairness in competition.

We classify by age, sex, weight, mental ability, physical ability, professional status, and skill level.

We (generally) don’t classify by height, strength, wingspan, vertical leap, lung capacity, VO2max (i.e. genetic variation within the categories we classify). You can argue that weight is genetic variation too, but it is an easier variable to measure and to correlate with competitive fairness and is usually used as a class in combat sports.

We use those classifications because we recognize that they organize athletes into categories that promote fairness in competition- precisely because we know that not all categories are equally competitive. We know that 18 year olds and 10 year olds are fundamentally different and it would be better for both to have them compete against their own peers. Even within an age category we recognize skill levels (e.g. A, B, C travel).

We classify sports by sex for the same reasons.

I accept TG women as women for the purpose of recognizing how they wish to be perceived, treated and loved. I don’t recognize them though as classifying as women in sport.

As a northeast moderate, (which probably makes me a raging liberal to some), I empathize with T folks. I see and hear them and I get it. I work with them, and they live in my community. But sports is a hard line for me.

All that to say I agree with the NAIA here.

Aug 5, 2022
We create separate classes in sports to create the most opportunity for the greatest number of athletes, and to ensure fairness in competition.

We classify by age, sex, weight, mental ability, physical ability, professional status, and skill level.

We (generally) don’t classify by height, strength, wingspan, vertical leap, lung capacity, VO2max (i.e. genetic variation within the categories we classify). You can argue that weight is genetic variation too, but it is an easier variable to measure and to correlate with competitive fairness and is usually used as a class in combat sports.

We use those classifications because we recognize that they organize athletes into categories that promote fairness in competition- precisely because we know that not all categories are equally competitive. We know that 18 year olds and 10 year olds are fundamentally different and it would be better for both to have them compete against their own peers. Even within an age category we recognize skill levels (e.g. A, B, C travel).

I accept TG women as women for the purpose of recognizing how they wish to be perceived, treated and loved. I don’t recognize them though as classifying as women in sport.

As a northeast moderate, (which probably makes me a raging liberal to some), I empathize with T folks. I see and hear them and I get it. I work with them, and they live in my community. But sports is a hard line for me.

This is where I’m at. My heart really wants to be inclusive but my head is winning this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018

Great post. That what I should have said at the very beginning.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is where I’m at. My heart really wants to be inclusive but my head is winning this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you want to be inclusive? Really why? When in doubt go with your head/ mind. It is really not that complicated. In fact it's common sense. Why is there such a drive to be inclusive? Diversity? Equality?
Trust your common sense.

Jul 19, 2021
Compassion for what other people are going through.
So you're saying you have compassion for the girls who bust their butts daily practicing their sport only to have a biological male come in and eliminate any chance they had of winning? Good to see it. Me too. All of the blood, sweat, and tears working towards a goal gets flushed down the toilet because the rules are changed to allow men into the competition. What a kick in the stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619