2020 Easton Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Point is DD got it for Christmas and it broke the second time she used it. Pretty disappointing.
We had similar problems with Power Carbons. Broke 2 of them within a week of receiving them and
switched to an LXT for the remainder of last season.

I'll get it replaced and hope the next one is better. She was super excited about getting it, so hopefully it
will be.

Again, I get that it sucks when you get a bad bat, but it happens and it will be replaced. Happens to new cars
and everything else. Comes off an assembly line, bats arent made by hand and inspected. Isnt the first and
wont be the last.

Jun 8, 2016
Again, I get that it sucks when you get a bad bat, but it happens and it will be replaced. Happens to new cars
and everything else. Comes off an assembly line, bats arent made by hand and inspected. Isnt the first and
wont be the last.
While I know nothing about how composite bats are manufactured, as a person who has played around with composite materials at one point in my research life, I can tell you it is very difficult to manufacture a composite which doesn't have any defects (most often voids) and those defects, even if they are small and not numerous, can cause havoc with reliability. It is actually surprising that they don't break more often than they do.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's interesting how different our experience has been. My DD has been playing the game for 7 years. She has developed into a pretty powerful hitter. She has not broken a single bat, even under the year-round grind of TB and school ball, and even with the "fragile" 2018 Ghost (hers is still doing fine). Also, I don't see much bat breakage among her teammates. In 5 years of TB, I think I've seen a bat break 3 times, and all were at least a year old. I've heard stories and seen pics of bats breaking while they are pretty new, but have not seen it for myself. I wonder if the warmer weather of So Cal has an effect on this. Just guessing. I don't know.

Apr 28, 2019
What’s wrong with the LXT?
I had a similar issue. My DD’s go to bat was 2017 LXT drop 9.
Hit great for two seasons and then decided to switch to 18 Ghost which we had for a while.
IMO she is better hitter with LXT. She just likes the loud sound and feel of Ghost.
We have 2020 Ghost now also and she likes that bat as well. She hits just as well with her 18 Xeno so I really am at a loss why we HAVE to use a Ghost.
If the 2020 Ghost breaks I’m done with Easton bats.
Plenty of good Slugger & Rawlings options out there.

Jun 8, 2016
She hits just as well with her 18 Xeno so I really am at a loss why we HAVE to use a Ghost.
Because your kid likes it and you don't want the pissed off teenage face to go on for months upon months (pissed
10 YO face is bad enough...)? If she breaks and you have to spend more money then that is a different story....

May 21, 2018
It's interesting how different our experience has been. My DD has been playing the game for 7 years. She has developed into a pretty powerful hitter. She has not broken a single bat, even under the year-round grind of TB and school ball, and even with the "fragile" 2018 Ghost (hers is still doing fine). Also, I don't see much bat breakage among her teammates. In 5 years of TB, I think I've seen a bat break 3 times, and all were at least a year old. I've heard stories and seen pics of bats breaking while they are pretty new, but have not seen it for myself. I wonder if the warmer weather of So Cal has an effect on this. Just guessing. I don't know.

I had the same thoughts. My DD is 11 years old and has broken 3 of her last 4 composite bats (within a week of receiving them). We are in the St. Louis area but, we don't use them in the cold, don't store them in the cold, and only hit normal softballs with them.

I talked to the Mizuno rep for a bit about it and he was claiming she was using to small of bat which was causing her
to break them. She was 10 at the time swinging a 30" drop 11. Granted she is a pretty tall kid, but not that tall.

Hopefully the next ghost holds up. She slept with it the night she got it. Pretty excited to say the least.

Jun 8, 2016
I had the same thoughts. My DD is 11 years old and has broken 3 of her last 4 composite bats (within a week of receiving them). We are in the St. Louis area but, we don't use them in the cold, don't store them in the cold, and only hit normal softballs with them.

I talked to the Mizuno rep for a bit about it and he was claiming she was using to small of bat which was causing her
to break them. She was 10 at the time swinging a 30" drop 11. Granted she is a pretty tall kid, but not that tall.

Hopefully the next ghost holds up. She slept with it the night she got it. Pretty excited to say the least.
My 10YO, 5' not yet 80 lb DD has broken 4 bats in 1.5 years (3 Marucci and a Mizuno) 3 of them 31 drop 11 and one a 31 drop 10. It is just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.... I mean I guess I could have her swing a 42 oz bat like Babe Ruth and in that case it would be her arms that would break rather than her bat.

Apr 28, 2019
Because your kid likes it and you don't want the pissed off teenage face to go on for months upon months (pissed
10 YO face is bad enough...)? If she breaks and you have to spend more money then that is a different story....
It’s more of an attitude than a face. It’s strange because I took both girls to a pro shop to look at bats & gloves shortly before Xmas.
They couldn’t be bothered looking at bats & gloves it was all about clothes.
But when at the field that’s when I catch “tude” about bats.
Yet she texted me a pic recently of Ghost Advanced. I just don’t get it.
Maybe it’s just me but I want things that are uncommon or better than other people have. I don’t want what everybody else has.

Apr 28, 2019

Your lucky your daughter is so enthusiastic about her equipment. The excuse from Mizuno Rep is laughable. Rather than say you got a “lemon” or the manufacturing process isn’t perfect he’s going to lay the breakage at your DD’s feet. Really? Just keep sending me new bats until you get it right Mizuno!
Reminds me of a car company (Audi) years ago that was blaming accidents on drivers. The car would accelerate rapidly on it’s own and drivers were getting shin splints standing on the break but it was operator error.

May 14, 2019
We live in Central IL. Obviously cold this time year. But the first 2020 ghost the barrel became loose at the connection and that was in August. That was a drop 10. Then decided to go to a drop 11 got it in Nov. the barrel cracked couple of days ago. She hits in a temperature controlled dome. Only hit regular softballs, no machine or weighted.balls. We Keep the bat in house. There have been a few more on the team that cracked as well. Maybe it’s the walk in the cold from the parking lot to the dome? I wouldn’t think that would do it but who knows. She loves the bat and very happy with the performance. Hopefully the replacement will hold up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi