13 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2016
North Carolina
She used to roll her wrists badly and not use her body at all, and always hit to the pitcher. (A problem we both recognized but have had a heck of time fixing.) Now she's hitting much harder and often good shots to the outfield, not just simple pop-ups. So I definitely see improvement. We've only had 5-6 lessons with the guy we go to now, she seems to really click with him and understands what he's telling her. After really studying these threads and this latest video clip that Eric F sent (which was a HUGE help to me!), I think we're on a good track. I have a clearer understanding of what my DD needs to work on and so does she. I hear our current hitting coach talking about the same things you guys have mentioned, he's just using different language.

I have coached rec ball for 5 years and love it. Tried TB one year and realized I didn't have a clue what I was doing. LOL Finally feel like im starting to learn what I'm doing!! Wish I could go back and do it all over now :) Thank you DFP for being such a great resource! Wish I had stumbled across this years ago.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Something to keep in mind...The goal should be to build a swing pattern that will continue to be successful as the player continues through the game and faces more challenging pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
We've only had 5-6 lessons with the guy we go to now, she seems to really click with him and understands what he's telling her
tumblr_oa9xt94DN11usf292o1_250.gif

I could name that tune in 2 notes......:p
Good luck and keep DFP posted.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see some improvements, but there is still lots of potential to be unleashed. One of the big adjustments that needs to be made is how she is using her hands and arms. Right now, she is swinging with a DBSF (Drop the Barrel/Swing Flat) movement, with the arms pulling the bat around the torso. This is typically a result of thinking that the hands and barrel should swing at the same level as the pitch, and often is a result of coaches telling the player to "swing level" (or something along those lines). As is usual with DBSF movement, there is also a bat drag issue.

What we want to see is the rotation of the bat being centered in the hands, with the arms working to full extension out-from the rear shoulder. Also notice the angled swing plane with the hands above the ball at contact.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Mig%20-%20OutFrom.jpg_zpsbcbv3d41.gif

Sep 29, 2014
The other big thing is the sequence of her lower half. You can see what we are talking about if you focus on her rear knee it starts locked she rocks back a little and it remains locked then she begins her forward swing and it is still locked which means she is getting almost no power from her lower half.

Her sequence right now is lift leg rock back then as she falls forward start to swing. It needs to be coil/load the rear leg even as the front foot comes forward when front foot comes down she should be completely loaded and separated and ready to explode to the ball. Basically this position I've pasted below. You can look at any baseball or softball player at a high level and no matter what kind of pre swing crazy stuff you see the instant before the start the forward swing movement they all look very similar to this: To see what I'm talking about rear leg draw a line from rear foot to knee to hip then to shoulder on model players versus your DD you will see a V versus a straight line. They all have flexed knee that is loaded and ready to release you can see your DD has fallen forward and there is no loaded energy ready to release in her lower half all she can do is swing her arms.

lauren foot plant.JPGhitter foot plant.JPGharper foot plant.JPG

compare to:

ellie foot plant.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The other big thing is the sequence of her lower half. You can see what we are talking about if you focus on her rear knee it starts locked she rocks back a little and it remains locked then she begins her forward swing and it is still locked which means she is getting almost no power from her lower half.

Her sequence right now is lift leg rock back then as she falls forward start to swing. It needs to be coil/load the rear leg even as the front foot comes forward when front foot comes down she should be completely loaded and separated and ready to explode to the ball. Basically this position I've pasted below. You can look at any baseball or softball player at a high level and no matter what kind of pre swing crazy stuff you see the instant before the start the forward swing movement they all look very similar to this: To see what I'm talking about rear leg draw a line from rear foot to knee to hip then to shoulder on model players versus your DD you will see a V versus a straight line. They all have flexed knee that is loaded and ready to release you can see your DD has fallen forward and there is no loaded energy ready to release in her lower half all she can do is swing her arms.

View attachment 10739View attachment 10740View attachment 10741

compare to:

View attachment 10742

The drills presented in the below thread might help with this no??

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/12017-coil-drill.html

Sep 29, 2014
Only problem I would have with those drills is the real tendency if you are not careful to still initiate the swing as you go forward, with a huge fall forward like that Ichiro still keeps his hands back my guess is most people would just begin to release as they fall forward.

Jun 8, 2016
Only problem I would have with those drills is the real tendency if you are not careful to still initiate the swing as you go forward, with a huge fall forward like that Ichiro still keeps his hands back my guess is most people would just begin to release as they fall forward.

It would seem to me that it feel awfully uncomfortable/unathletic to initiate the swing that way but you are probably right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619