Swing stats off the charts, but issues at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Dad is sitting on the bench behind a fence with an iphone which decides where it wants to focus randomly.
Get your phone closer to the fence, preferably with the lens directly in the opening. Also, hitters are best reviewed from the front side. In this case, from the 1B side of the fence.

I am in agreeance with the others. I would have her do, in conjunction with what has already been said, the SNF/90 degree drill then move in to 45 degrees then back to normal. This will help her feel the swing without the lunge. It can help her feel the load in the lower half if done correctly.

I would NOT do all of these suggestions in one sitting. Work on each one, then go to normal swings to finish. I would do all TEE initially to get a good feel for this pattern and sequence. Then, start with TEE then to slow front toss to faster front toss as she starts to get it.

Good luck and keep posting! There is usually some good swing help here.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dad is sitting on the bench behind a fence with an iphone which decides where it wants to focus randomly.

When she comes up to bat, get up on the fence, and put the lens in a hole. I do it every single AB for my DD, and have for years.

Oct 26, 2019
Excellent points and that is precisely what I am seeing as I watch these videos.. I will work with her on it. Any drills you can suggest.. or just more of an approach to an at bat?
Loading correctly is a pretty natural movement that is “taught” out of kids at a young age with well intentioned folks with bad or incomplete information. I have had good luck doing medicine ball throws from the hitting position and given the instruction to the hitter to throw it as far as they can. After a few throws they usually learn the best way to do it is to cock the hips and let it rip. They “Discover” the load on their own this way. The medicine ball changes the goal for them and takes them out of what they think (incorrectly) loading in hitting is to what actually works and generates power.

Dec 16, 2018
I agree with Towny9. I'm seeing an all-back/all-forward swing pattern - pull it back, push it forward. She's lunging because she has forward momentum and she has started too early for the speed of the pitch. She doesn't have a way to adjust her timing other than meet the ball further out front than she planned.

What we want to see is her creating a "load" of stretch/tension by coiling around the rear hip/leg, rather than a linear weight shift over the rear leg.

Matt Antonelli does a pretty good job describing it here...

Great points, thank you very much.

Dec 16, 2018
When she comes up to bat, get up on the fence, and put the lens in a hole. I do it every single AB for my DD, and have for years.
Issue is, I am recording each offensive inning for the team.. i just need to use something better, or record differently at least for my own DD.

Dec 16, 2018
Loading correctly is a pretty natural movement that is “taught” out of kids at a young age with well intentioned folks with bad or incomplete information. I have had good luck doing medicine ball throws from the hitting position and given the instruction to the hitter to throw it as far as they can. After a few throws they usually learn the best way to do it is to cock the hips and let it rip. They “Discover” the load on their own this way. The medicine ball changes the goal for them and takes them out of what they think (incorrectly) loading in hitting is to what actually works and generates power.

Fantastic suggestion.. and I will be working on this with her this afternoon. Thank you.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Issue is, I am recording each offensive inning for the team.. i just need to use something better, or record differently at least for my own DD.

The issue is about your location. Using an iPhone is an excellent tool for recording your DD's ABs. You just need to get up against the fence.

I record and livestream complete games for my DD's team with a Mevo Plus mounted on the backstop. Here's the camera position I like to use for the Mevo...

When my DD comes up to bat, I get on the fence, and use an iPhone to get an alternate angle from what I get with the Mevo. I prefer being on the 1B side, as square as possible with her chest, with my camera about waist high.

Oct 14, 2016
As other posters have pointed out, her sequence is off. At this young age, I would opt for simplicity.

When she enters the box, she is pre-loaded (a term I use for being tense before the pitcher starts or even gets to the rubber). I would have her relax and rest the bat on her shoulder until the pitcher gets set.

Now it is a dance with the pitcher. As the pitcher moves forward, the batter coils. As the arm of the pitcher moves away, the batter begins her step, as the ball is released, the batter begins her swing.

Right now, your DD has two loads. Talk to her about... When the ball is in flight, we are "positive to the ball" (move toward the ball, where the load is "negative to the ball", or opposite direction). Show her that up and down is not positive to the ball.

She doesn't appear to have an established routine, which is essential. Have her watch college batters on TV and see if she can pick up the batters routine. Elite batters do the same exact thing each at bat. Starts with taking the sign from the coach, the practice swing, entering the box, and through the pitch. Take some time and really try to establish an intentional routine.

Her practice swing is a wasted reinforcement of good mechanics. It should be a deliberate mechanical swing and is just as important as on-deck swings.

You may consider a new stride. You mentioned lunging. For my lungers, I will sometimes move them to an open stance, where the lead leg will step toward the plate, not toward the pitcher. This might help eliminate the squat.

Hope these suggestions help.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619