Swing stats off the charts, but issues at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2018
Hi all - Looking for some advice as I've hit a wall with my 13-yr old DD. Our program uses blast motion heavily and her swing data for the past 2 years is off the charts for her age (from what I can tell).. but at the plate she is struggling and has lost her way. She lunges at times but more importantly when I watch video, she is bringing her head down in line with the ball after the ball is pitched.. which I believe is the root cause of the problem as it's tough to adjust when your head is moving vertically downward.. I just don't know what to do to fix it. I've got plenty of video... if it would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks all!

Feb 3, 2016
Hi all - Looking for some advice as I've hit a wall with my 13-yr old DD. Our program uses blast motion heavily and her swing data for the past 2 years is off the charts for her age (from what I can tell).. but at the plate she is struggling and has lost her way. She lunges at times but more importantly when I watch video, she is bringing her head down in line with the ball after the ball is pitched.. which I believe is the root cause of the problem as it's tough to adjust when your head is moving vertically downward.. I just don't know what to do to fix it. I've got plenty of video... if it would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks all!
Probably should be on of the technical hitting sections.
When you say her swing is off the charts are you saying they are exceptionally high swing mph etc..?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dec 16, 2018
Post video. You can't fix the head movement, by fixing the head :) It's a result of something else.

let me know if you can access some of the video here:

I see lunging, up and down movement.. soooo frustrating!

Thanks for your help!

Oct 26, 2019
She starts with her weight back posted on her back leg instead of neutral and then loads by sitting down further on the back leg. Once she does that there’s only 2 ways to go from there. Against quicker pitching she will get “stuck” there and take a very defensive swing. Against slower pitching she will shift the weight off the back side and lunge forward and get out in front.

I see this all the time in younger kids who are taught to “get their weight back”. She thinks she is loading properly, but she isn’t. Loading is in the hip cocking and not in the weight shifting back and then forward.

Dec 16, 2018
Probably should be on of the technical hitting sections.
When you say her swing is off the charts are you saying they are exceptionally high swing mph etc..?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Off the charts is relative I think lol. Avg bat speed is between 58-65mph, power is 2.0-2.9, rotational acceleration is 17-25, time to impact is .13-.15 generally etc.. so I feel the stats are very strong, but that is obviously not all that matters as at the plate she is all messed up.

Dec 16, 2018
She starts with her weight back posted on her back leg instead of neutral and then loads by sitting down further on the back leg. Once she does that there’s only 2 ways to go from there. Against quicker pitching she will get “stuck” there and take a very defensive swing. Against slower pitching she will shift the weight off the back side and lunge forward and get out in front.

I see this all the time in younger kids who are taught to “get their weight back”. She thinks she is loading properly, but she isn’t. Loading is in the hip cocking and not in the weight shifting back and then forward.
Excellent points and that is precisely what I am seeing as I watch these videos.. I will work with her on it. Any drills you can suggest.. or just more of an approach to an at bat?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with Towny9. I'm seeing an all-back/all-forward swing pattern - pull it back, push it forward. She's lunging because she has forward momentum and she has started too early for the speed of the pitch. She doesn't have a way to adjust her timing other than meet the ball further out front than she planned.

What we want to see is her creating a "load" of stretch/tension by coiling around the rear hip/leg, rather than a linear weight shift over the rear leg.

Matt Antonelli does a pretty good job describing it here...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Excellent points and that is precisely what I am seeing as I watch these videos.. I will work with her on it. Any drills you can suggest.. or just more of an approach to an at bat?

To fix it right, it's going to take an adjustment of the most fundamental part of her swing - the sequence. Sequence is the foundation for everything else. Right now, she has parts moving the wrong way, in the wrong order, at the right time.

This video has been helpful for getting young hitters working in a better sequence...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez