12u Game Played with Mound at 35ft. How Mad You Be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2011
You must be in Texas.

(couldn't resist) :D

Hahahaha Good one! :D When I say a few I mean 2...1 team rode her arm all the way to Disney at 10's finished second in 10U "A". Like MadHornet said It's not uncommon with elite tb teams.

Jul 26, 2010
What kind of community do you live in when you have a stand full of parents, coaches, and umpires, and not one single person DID anything about it? WTF?

-W

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think it's a big deal. Yes, a hard-hit ball is more dangerous at 35 feet, but it's also more difficult for a batter to hit a ball hard from 35 feet, especially against an all-star pitcher throwing 45 mph. I'm not saying there might not be some added risk, but I think it's pretty minor, certainly not worth getting livid over. In fact, if it's just a one-time accident, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
If not correct, no matter what we think the rules give a specific field layout for a reason. Next time man (or woman) up and quit being so PC or scared to be right among the wrong.

When our team takes the field or is at our practice, they become my responsibility and like my own daughters. I am there to stand up for their safety and be their protector.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have never seen a permeate plate at 35’ so I assume it would be easy to move close to the correct distance. Worse case someone runs home or to a hardware store to grab a hammer and the start gets delayed a little bit. I would rather have no circle and the plate in the more or less correct place. Like someone mentioned, not sure what your coach was thinking.

If for some reason it was play the game at 35’ or go home, we would probably play the game at 35’. Never has happened to us before.

Strange story. :)

Mar 31, 2012
I keep trying to move the rubber to 25ft when DD pitches, I keep getting caught. :rolleyes:

the trick with that is to have her hold the rubber between her feet and just hop forward a few inches at a time when a play is going on in the field and no one is watching her. When I played nose tackel I used to move the football back like that during the other team's huddle all the time.

Feb 3, 2011
With our local rec rules, once the mistake was noted, we'd finish the inning, then make the adjustment and play would continue from that point.

In other places, the correction is made immediately and the inning - or game - is restarted.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I hope I have this correct.

If there is an Issue with the pitching plate it is to be fixed immediately. So the Home Team could pitch from 40’ a ½ an inning, then the visiting Team could pitch from 35’ if the mistake was noticed.

We have no local rule to cover this so the above would be our rule. If the umps and HCs get together and decide something different great but the above is what I think the rule is.

Jul 28, 2008
My DD is now 15, but from a safety perspective, at that age I would have been upset. I am at a softball field 3-5 days a week, I have never seen a 10u throw over 50. Most JV high school pitchers are barely bumping 50 around here so if you got one doing it, rock on. Can't wait to see her pitch college!!

There were two girls in the state who threw 50-52mph when my DD was 10U. Also, remember they are throwing an 11" ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619