Messing with stats in Gamechanger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
For my 10U team, I wish Game Changer let me keep track of mental errors or just sloppy/slow plays.

I go through the Play-by-Play after the game and see so many "#4 hits singles on grounder to pitcher." Ugh.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It appears this family on dds travel team has it in for us. I made the big mistake of taking dd off this coaches rec softball team...mainly because there was drama on it last year between him and other rec parents because he was giving dd and a few other players more playing time.

Since I don’t care much about dd playing in the rec league other then for fun with friends, I opted to move her this year to a team with more of her friends. She’s super happy on it so we are happy. No drama.

Now that travel season also started, her old rec coach is doing game changer on her travel team and they played 2 tournaments the past couple weeks. The first one I didn’t attend, and watched on GC. My dd is a starting pitcher and plays 1B. I noticed he was assigning every infield error to her, not giving her credit for stolen bases and calling every infield hit she made an error to the other team.

I thought it was strange because dd made maybe 3 errors all season last summer/fall and suddenly everything she is doing is an error. Of course all his dds infield hits are legit, no errors etc. since I wasn’t at the 1st tournament, I asked dh how she was doing and he said great. I said it looks like on GC she is fumbling the ball all over the place. He said he didnt see her make any errors. I also checked in with another coach...what’s going on w dd? Is she making 4 errors in 1 inning? He said no...didn’t see any.

This weekend, I watch her play to see what happens...sure enough, no stolen bases on GC, she’s making all the errors again on the mound, even when the play is no where near her. So now I know this guy is mad I took dd off his rec team. His wife was also shouting plays and mechanical corrections from the stand and screaming to her dd who plays catcher after every pitch, “great catch, way to hold the glove, move in, scoot back, hold the ball” , etc etc after every pitch which she knows drives my dd nuts while she is pitching.

Last summer, I did politely ask her not to coach from the stands when dd is pitching and she also distracts the batters etc. this weekend she confused her own dd and a girl stole home because of her shouting instructions from the stands.

I can’t think of a reason why they are doing this other then their rec team now doesn’t have a really strong pitcher because dd isn’t on the team anymore, and I asked her not to coach from the stands (which is against league rules as is shouting at players during games) They are super competitive and want to win the rec championship which I could care less about and frankly so should they. I think they should be more focused on winning a championship in travel ball where we are spending so much time and money. I don’t want them messing with our family at every tournament for the rest of the summer.

What should I do?
Are this the teams official book? Or is this just one person doing GC and others can look at it? If its the official book, have a chat with the coach. If its just one parent going it on her own, ignore it.

Jul 28, 2016
Its funny back when my DD played 10u and 12u travel, I really thought stats mattered. Now that my DD is on a 2nd yr 16u national team with recruitment about to kick in high gear this summer, I realize that stats in gamechanger really dont matter. I care about good at bats, fundamental defense and a good attitude now way more than the stats.

Mar 28, 2016
A good way to judge outfield errors is the distance the fielder travels and where her glove is in relation to her body. If she books it to a ball and her arm is fully outstretched then there is no error if it goes off her glove. If she runs to a ball and misses it with her glove in the ideal catching position, then it is an error. Unfortunately, misjudged ball are not errors. Or when a fielder holds up and allows the ball to bounce 5 feet in front of her.

Jun 12, 2015
We've had GC drama on our team. Not anything like you describe, which sounds very blatant. But I feel bad for our scorekeeper sometimes. One confused moment in a busy play and there are 3 parents jumping on him about fixing it before the play even finishes. If this guy is really doing as blatantly bad of a job as you say, go to the coach with an offer to take over. If you're not willing to take over then you just have to deal with it. It sounds to me like you've tried to deal with these people yourself and it hasn't worked. Might be worth a calm, solution-seeking conversation with the head coach.

Jan 7, 2019
How do the girls do the book when they are playing?

players who are on the bench that inning coach first and do the book. All our girls know how to score and coach. Some of these coaches think they're indispensable, and you gotta laugh at the teams with 5 or 6 grown men directing teenagers.

Jun 12, 2015
players who are on the bench that inning coach first and do the book. All our girls know how to score and coach. Some of these coaches think they're indispensable, and you gotta laugh at the teams with 5 or 6 grown men directing teenagers.

Our players keep a book in the dugout. There's an official score keeper too, but I think it's a great thing for them to learn, and it keeps them engaged and interested (still an issue with our youngish team sometimes).

Jan 7, 2019
Our players keep a book in the dugout. There's an official score keeper too, but I think it's a great thing for them to learn, and it keeps them engaged and interested (still an issue with our youngish team sometimes).

I was a little skeptical at first, but the scoring has been incredibly accurate and more importantly, it's fair and consistent. The only downside is family/friends who wanna follow can't do it live because the book is entered into GC later on. And you're 100% right it keeps the girls sitting involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478