Messing with stats in Gamechanger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2018
It appears this family on dds travel team has it in for us. I made the big mistake of taking dd off this coaches rec softball team...mainly because there was drama on it last year between him and other rec parents because he was giving dd and a few other players more playing time.

Since I don’t care much about dd playing in the rec league other then for fun with friends, I opted to move her this year to a team with more of her friends. She’s super happy on it so we are happy. No drama.

Now that travel season also started, her old rec coach is doing game changer on her travel team and they played 2 tournaments the past couple weeks. The first one I didn’t attend, and watched on GC. My dd is a starting pitcher and plays 1B. I noticed he was assigning every infield error to her, not giving her credit for stolen bases and calling every infield hit she made an error to the other team.

I thought it was strange because dd made maybe 3 errors all season last summer/fall and suddenly everything she is doing is an error. Of course all his dds infield hits are legit, no errors etc. since I wasn’t at the 1st tournament, I asked dh how she was doing and he said great. I said it looks like on GC she is fumbling the ball all over the place. He said he didnt see her make any errors. I also checked in with another coach...what’s going on w dd? Is she making 4 errors in 1 inning? He said no...didn’t see any.

This weekend, I watch her play to see what happens...sure enough, no stolen bases on GC, she’s making all the errors again on the mound, even when the play is no where near her. So now I know this guy is mad I took dd off his rec team. His wife was also shouting plays and mechanical corrections from the stand and screaming to her dd who plays catcher after every pitch, “great catch, way to hold the glove, move in, scoot back, hold the ball” , etc etc after every pitch which she knows drives my dd nuts while she is pitching.

Last summer, I did politely ask her not to coach from the stands when dd is pitching and she also distracts the batters etc. this weekend she confused her own dd and a girl stole home because of her shouting instructions from the stands.

I can’t think of a reason why they are doing this other then their rec team now doesn’t have a really strong pitcher because dd isn’t on the team anymore, and I asked her not to coach from the stands (which is against league rules as is shouting at players during games) They are super competitive and want to win the rec championship which I could care less about and frankly so should they. I think they should be more focused on winning a championship in travel ball where we are spending so much time and money. I don’t want them messing with our family at every tournament for the rest of the summer.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019
Let me start by pointing out that GC isn't a problem if you don't look at it.
I used to ignore it, but I do look at it sometimes. It caused problems in 12U both years and diff parents ran it each year. I've disagreed with some scoring those 2 years but never lost sleep over it. Other parents did care and there were verbal altercations on multiple occasions.
Here's some stuff I've noticed. The DD of the parent scoring will always have the least ROE. The fastest girl (like my girl) will always have the most ROE. In 12U one year my kid had 28 ROE. DD of the person scoring GC had 1 ROE the entire spring. I laugh when I am watching a game and I see "hit to 2B" "hit to SS" especially when I know the batter is slow... on what planet does this occur 5 times a game?

Our current team, the girls do the book and the coach enters into GC after the games. This is the first year I haven't heard a peep from 1 parent about GC. The girls and the coach (no kid on team) score fairly. You can just tell.
If you want the solution there ya have it. :)

Aug 29, 2018
My issue isn’t the GC so much as this family harassing us for no reason other then I took my DD off his rec team because she wanted to play on another one with her friends. I don’t understand why people care so much? It’s rec ball! They need to refocus and be Concerned about who is or isn’t playing on the travel ball team and they should be happy she’s pitching on that team.

Feb 12, 2014
Let me start by pointing out that GC isn't a problem if you don't look at it.
I used to ignore it, but I do look at it sometimes. It caused problems in 12U both years and diff parents ran it each year. I've disagreed with some scoring those 2 years but never lost sleep over it. Other parents did care and there were verbal altercations on multiple occasions.
Here's some stuff I've noticed. The DD of the parent scoring will always have the least ROE. The fastest girl (like my girl) will always have the most ROE. In 12U one year my kid had 28 ROE. DD of the person scoring GC had 1 ROE the entire spring. I laugh when I am watching a game and I see "hit to 2B" "hit to SS" especially when I know the batter is slow... on what planet does this occur 5 times a game?

Our current team, the girls do the book and the coach enters into GC after the games. This is the first year I haven't heard a peep from 1 parent about GC. The girls and the coach (no kid on team) score fairly. You can just tell.
If you want the solution there ya have it. :)

This is absolutely not true. I have kept DD's team book for travel and school ball and she has NEVER had the least amount of ROEs in a season. Try not painting with such a broad brush.

Also, keep in mind that a faster girl will naturally have more ROEs than a slow girl for the simple fact that an error that results in reaching base for a fast girl will often result in an out on a slower girl because the fielder has time to grab the ball and still make a throw.

Having said that, there are people who abuse the book. I see it all the time in HS where an entire team will have no reached on errors in an entire week of games.

Jun 8, 2016
How much extra is it?
Looks like 8 bucks a month. Anything more than 0 is too much for me ;) I don't need statistics to
know whether my DD is swinging the bat well or doing a good job in the field....

Anyway, that person is obviously being a petty fool but at the end of the day it really isn't affecting anything other than
the GC stats so I would just leave it alone.

Jul 14, 2018
I do GC for DD's travel team, and I feel like I'm a little harder on her than her teammates. If she doesn't make a play that I know she's capable of, she gets an error.

For the most part, at 12U, if you beat the throw to first base it's a hit in my book. Balls that are hit hard enough to glance off the fielder's glove are hits as well, as are outfield hits that are misread. It's tough to determine where and when a play 'should' have been made at this level. Good outfield catches still elicit cheers from the crowd. I give ROEs if the first baseman drops the ball, or if the throw sails over her head.

As pattar said, it's really not that important. For me, I like the pitching stats they give you like first pitch strikes, pitch counts, swing and miss percentage, etc. DD has a super-bloated ERA though, because of the aforementioned preference for giving out hits. Her FIP is my only consolation!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I didn't see an age group, but I assume lower ages? Honestly, except for those parents that need to follow the game because they can't be there don't pay any attention to stats. If you are that worried about them, I suggest keeping your own book, at least you can laugh at the differences. We do GC and actually make our stats public, but again we are an 18U team and they better get used to seeing their performance because in College the stats are published.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802