How to win 42-0 in four innings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Run limits are important in rec league games. Also, coaches need to know how to get themselves out. Leaving the bases early is one option (i guess not in this case). You can also bunt with the bases loaded, or you bunt with 2 strikes. There are ways to help the other team get outs.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I hate being on either side of games like that. I believe all Rec leagues should have a run limit per inning to avoid these situations. There are other ways to end an inning besides stepping off the base early. How about telling your batter to bunt the ball and not run full speed to 1B? You accomplish several things: Getting in your bunting work, allowing the opposing team to save face while (hopefully) making a play and they are able to get out of the inning. You are still being a good sport but not being too obvious.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
As far as the texting I would 100% as the coach take the reprimand very seriously and also consider it well deserved. I would also spend time next practice maybe 10 minutes or more and have a character lesson, I would explain to the kids about the dangers of social media and cyber bullying etc. We as adults don't think much of it but it is very serious for young impressionable girls there are some horror stories out there and it starts "innocently" with little thing like this. I know LL is mandatory play but in PONY we had discipline exceptions and if LL had them I would be OK using them in this situation, again making sure I got all the facts first. Ultimately most of these girls won't become sports stars but the life and character lessons they learn are much more important and be a good sport is part of it I think there is a pretty good song out about that...something about being Humble and Kind :)

I probably wasn't as clear as I could be about this. There was no cyber bullying or anything improper about what our girls did after the game. They texted their friends on their sister team about their win. Our community (section of the city of Seattle actually) has two majors teams and most of the girls have played together at some time and most go to the same school. They were texting among themselves. Nothing aimed at the opposing team which is in a different part of the city and a different league.

Sep 29, 2014
I probably wasn't as clear as I could be about this. There was no cyber bullying or anything improper about what our girls did after the game. They texted their friends on their sister team about their win. Our community (section of the city of Seattle actually) has two majors teams and most of the girls have played together at some time and most go to the same school. They were texting among themselves. Nothing aimed at the opposing team which is in a different part of the city and a different league.

Well at least that is good to know sorry for jumping the gun...that said it seems weird the coach is getting reprimanded if they were texting family and friends what the scores was, assuming they were not saying anything too nasty. A "we just crushed the XXXX team 42-0" is OK, as long as there is not piling on about XXXX team sucks etc.

Feb 25, 2016
Another way to make things go faster is to forego the 3rd out. Say you have two outs. The batter at the plate will be ruled out after the play has ended, whether she strikes out or hits a grand slam (those 4 runs still count).

Nov 8, 2014
Don't ask the other coach if they mind if you intentionally get the game moving along by leaving early or stepping on the plate when you bunt. Just do it. It's standard protocol when there is no inning run limit.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
When I was the HC of my dd's HS team, we played a very proud program but we were very good. When we were up 15-0, I had a player step off early to end a big inning. It was apparent that they could not get us out and we had bases loaded. The pitcher walked the next batter and so, I had another step off early. Long story short, we ended the inning by stepping off. So, the coach "thanks me" and I think that I have done the right thing. We end the game up 18-0. The next day, I get a call from my AD that we have to have a meeting. I was accused of embarrassing the other team by having my players step off early and they dropped us from their schedule. Even when I explained that the coach thanked me for ending the inning, my AD didn't buy it. I couldn't win in that situation.

So what was AD's answer to, "okay then, how should I have handled it?" Swing at bad pitches? No, that teaches bad habits. Maybe Bunt everyone, but then if they can't cover that, then what? Delay steal and get caught? I wouldn't want that whiny team on my schedule anyway. In my mind you did the right thing but stepping off.

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
When I was the HC of my dd's HS team, we played a very proud program but we were very good. When we were up 15-0, I had a player step off early to end a big inning. It was apparent that they could not get us out and we had bases loaded. The pitcher walked the next batter and so, I had another step off early. Long story short, we ended the inning by stepping off. So, the coach "thanks me" and I think that I have done the right thing. We end the game up 18-0. The next day, I get a call from my AD that we have to have a meeting. I was accused of embarrassing the other team by having my players step off early and they dropped us from their schedule. Even when I explained that the coach thanked me for ending the inning, my AD didn't buy it. I couldn't win in that situation.

Can't fix stupid (the AD)...you (Cannonball) did the right thing. Unfortunately, you can sometimes lose your job for doing the right thing. For what it's worth, I, as a fellow DFP member, say "job well done" (I should just give you 50 cents for a cup of coffee...you would be better off :) ).

And as you already probably know, that team dropped you from the schedule because you were a lot better than them...not because you embarrassed them by having mercy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414