How to win 42-0 in four innings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Thanks for not reading, Lou!

I read. There still has to be a way to not run up the score THAT much. These are 10, 11, 12 year old kids.

In the 3rd the other team changes pitchers and she gives up three hits while walking 10 or 11 before our manager instructs his players to swing and miss at anything close. He also stops stealing home, I think at the start of the inning. We score another 13. I go talk to the umpire from behind the backstop and ask if the game will be ended due to the mercy rule after 3. I am informed that they must play four innings.

Your manager didn't do a good job communicating the message to your girls.

Dec 27, 2014
Sounds like the real problem was walks. 4 hits and 8 runs in the 1st, 10-11 walks in 3rd, 9 runs on walks in the 4th.

We played a fair amount of games like this in aaa. Most of the kids are real new to pitching, so it is a walkfest. At least we had run limits per inning. The problem is the batters don't get reps at seeing competitive pitching. I think the other league should have apologized to you guys for not fielding capable pitching.

The league should be getting kids and parents exposed to pitching at T-ball/A ball rather than just springing it on the kids for AA. When we started aa it was a shock that we would be doing kid pitch a month into the season. It had never occurred to us before then. In the mean time hitters start seeing less balls to swing at in aa and fielders start seeing less balls to field than even t-ball. Our league, the first month of aa is machine pitch then 3 innings of kid pitch and then back to machine based on time, which is not much. DD had more balls to swing at in her season of A ball than she did in AA. You talk about title IX stuff for girls facilities but the bigger travesty is they do not start working on the pitching motion until 3-5 years after the boys do. The boys have been practicing overhand throws since they were 4-5 at t-ball.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Cabo, that's pretty much true, but wouldn't go so far as to say that it was the other team's "fault". As I said before after they pulled their first pitcher "Pitches anywhere near the plate that our girls could feasibly swing and miss at were a rarity."

As it turns out, the president of our league (baseball and softball) went to their league president to get their side of the story and they absolved our coaches of any wrongdoing. Their coach was contacted and she put a lot of the blame on her own team for walking over 20 batters. She concluded saying " The point is that the [name removed] coaches and players were great sports in a game that was probably equally not fun for them. I know they felt bad - their coach even gave me a hug after the game! But I would never expect someone else to stop playing well because their competition wasn't on the same level. And I think the girls learned from it, as painful as it might have been."

I believe our coach could have handled it better, but he did nothing intentionally unsporting or malicious.

Tonight we play a team from a league known for running up the score; I wouldn't feel bad about beating them 42-0 if weren't for the fact that some of the players play or have played with my DD in select ball. They're actually great kids for playing in such an evil organization!

Dec 27, 2014
Ha, I would never put the blame on the kid. :)

It takes a while to be able to throw consistently around the zone. One of my pet peeves is a dad/coach yelling at the kid to just throw strikes. :p

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I thought some of you might find it amusing that my DD's team played this team again, this time in a playoff game, and instead of handing them another beat down we suffered a 8-3 loss.

There were two things that made this game different. First, they had three select players who missed that first game, two of whom were pitcher and catcher. Secondly, our coach did not treat this as a playoff game, at least to my way of thinking, and for the last two innings put in our #2 pitcher, filled the infield with weaker players and sat two of our girls who play select for one of those innings, resulting in us surrendering a 3-1 lead.

I personally was not amused.

Jun 11, 2013
Outside of maybe waiting until you were up by 20 to stop stealing home not much more you can do.

Rather than step off you can take a lead and get a look back call which won't be so obvious.

The other coach must have thought he was doing some good, but letting your kids loose by 6 TD's doesn't help anyone.

Just curious how your league picks teams to allow it to get that bad. It might be time to put in some run rules. Even if it's something
line if you start up by 10 you can only score 5 more.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Only losing 42-0 would be a moral victory for out Team this year.

I do not know what the other Teams are doing with thier pitchers but they certainly do not stop running for some reason.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Just curious how your league picks teams to allow it to get that bad. It might be time to put in some run rules. Even if it's something
line if you start up by 10 you can only score 5 more.

These are inter-league Little League games. They only have the one team in the Majors division. We have two, which we try to divide the talent evenly, but it didn't work so well this year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00