How to win 42-0 in four innings.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
That was the score of my 12 YO DD's first little league game of the season. She was on the "right" end of it. This was in little league Majors division which is for girls league age 9-12, but is mostly 11 and 12 YOs in our area.

The game started with our team putting up 8runs to open the game with 4 hits and a few walks. Then our pitcher had a three up three down inning striking out three batters.

Our next at bat was even "better". When the score got to 16-0 I went to the manager of our team and asked him if maybe he'd like to have runners leave early in order for us to end the inning. He wasn't familiar with this tactic so I explained and he agreed to do it, but then asked me to confer with the opposing manager to see if she was OK with this.

I am not an official assistant coach on the team, but I help out when I can. At this game I helped with warm ups and then went and sat in the stands to watch with my wife. The manager of our team is a great guy and isn't in little league to be competitive. He absolutely does not care about the score at all or winning or losing.

Anyway, I walk around to the opposition dugout and say, "Excuse me, coach, would you be offended if we had runners leave early in order to get out of the inning?" to which she replied, "I'm not offended that you asked, but I'd rather let them play it out". OK.

I relay this info to our manager and we end up scoring 12 total in the second inning. Our defense again goes three up three down.

In the 3rd the other team changes pitchers and she gives up three hits while walking 10 or 11 before our manager instructs his players to swing and miss at anything close. He also stops stealing home, I think at the start of the inning. We score another 13. I go talk to the umpire from behind the backstop and ask if the game will be ended due to the mercy rule after 3. I am informed that they must play four innings.

We change pitchers and put in a girl who plays select soccer and hasn't thrown a pitch since little league ended last May. She hits the first batter giving the other team their first baserunner. This base runner steals second then on another pitch a high, outside wild pitch, attempts to steal third, but the catcher leaps up, turns, catches the ball as it bounces of the backstop and throws the runner out at 3rd. Not the other teams day. Our new pitcher settles down and gets the next two batters out.

The 4th inning is pretty much the same story with our team getting 9 more runs on walks. Pitches anywhere near the plate that our girls could feasibly swing and miss at were a rarity.

This is an inter league game against another community. Our community has two majors teams and when our players start texting their friends on the other team about the score our VP of softball, who's DD plays for our other team finds out and he's not happy. He calls me after talking with the coach to get my version of what happened. He says he's going to have to send a letter of apology to the other league.

I do feel bad for those girls who were on the losing end of this debacle, but I also feel bad for our manager who has never been in this position before and doesn't have an unsporting bone in his body. I know that sounds crazy given the result, but it's true. He's now being verbally reprimanded by our VP of softball and the league President. The teams were very unevenly matched. There was no way of them playing without it being a beat down. I think the situation could have been managed better, but there was nothing malicious about the coaching.

The ironic part of all this is that our league has always been the one to give players equal playing time and not care about the score, while surrounding leagues run their teams as if every rec game was a gold bracket championship. Our league has suffered countless drubbings and then we go out and hand out the biggest thumping perhaps in area history.

Anyway, that's how you win 42-0 without really trying.

Apr 28, 2014
Our REC league has a 5 run per inning rule till the last inning. Then it's 9 I think..
In any event it prevents these type of games. Nothing you can do about it some days.

We also go 5 per inning in Rec and even some tournaments in 12U and under here in Western PA.

5 is not absolute, it could be 8. There is continuous play on the play which scores the fifth run. If there are no outs and bases loaded with 4 runs in, I've seen the defense get an out at 1 while the runner scored from third and the base coach at 3 will send the other runners. Have to throw home and make tags at the plate or runners can keep scoring until play stops.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Our local LL has 5 runs per inning through majors. Even the last inning. Can't go over 5 in any circumstance. A grand slam with 4 runs already in only scores one run.
Also 3 inning limit per pitcher, in general pitchers pulled after at most 2 innings.
That, plus the time limits, keep the games from getting too lopsided. One team can be down 10-0 after 2, and still have a chance to win, assuming they were saving their best pitcher for the 3rd inning.

Sep 29, 2014
This is why we have local rules like 5 or 8 runs per inning limits. Just make sure that once all the best players have done their mandatory playing time that you put all the bench players in as long as possible, putting in the #2 pitcher like you did is always good too after 20 runs I might have stepped off after two outs regardless of what the other coach said but I can understand wanting to respect their wishes.

As far as the texting I would 100% as the coach take the reprimand very seriously and also consider it well deserved. I would also spend time next practice maybe 10 minutes or more and have a character lesson, I would explain to the kids about the dangers of social media and cyber bullying etc. We as adults don't think much of it but it is very serious for young impressionable girls there are some horror stories out there and it starts "innocently" with little thing like this. I know LL is mandatory play but in PONY we had discipline exceptions and if LL had them I would be OK using them in this situation, again making sure I got all the facts first. Ultimately most of these girls won't become sports stars but the life and character lessons they learn are much more important and be a good sport is part of it I think there is a pretty good song out about that...something about being Humble and Kind :)

Stuff like this happens, even in HS we had a 42-0 game last season and the coaches were great friends (former coach and student I think), same thing coach asked about stepping off but other coach said no thanks and she would not go against her old coaches wishes, she emptied the bench expanded their strike zone just was not much she could do without purposefully giving up and opposing coach really pushed her not to, she said she has been on both sides before and girls just need to play through it.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When I was the HC of my dd's HS team, we played a very proud program but we were very good. When we were up 15-0, I had a player step off early to end a big inning. It was apparent that they could not get us out and we had bases loaded. The pitcher walked the next batter and so, I had another step off early. Long story short, we ended the inning by stepping off. So, the coach "thanks me" and I think that I have done the right thing. We end the game up 18-0. The next day, I get a call from my AD that we have to have a meeting. I was accused of embarrassing the other team by having my players step off early and they dropped us from their schedule. Even when I explained that the coach thanked me for ending the inning, my AD didn't buy it. I couldn't win in that situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00