12u Game Played with Mound at 35ft. How Mad You Be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
My DD is an 11 year old All-Star pitcher who plays in a rec league as well to get some extra innings in. My wife told me that at her rec game tonight the mound was not at 40ft but at 35 ft. She heard the opposing coach and the umpire discuss the issue before the game but did nothing about it. I have major issues with this from a safety standpoint (batters, pitchers, and catchers). My DD throws hard (mid 40s, not bragging at all just trying to giver perspective) and if batters do get ahold of one of her pitches they do hit it hard.

I am livid with all parties involved (including my wife, an ex-pitcher who should know better). I loathe to be critical of volunteer coaches (I am one myself) but how pissed would you be? My DD didn't get lined drives (but she did hit a batter).

She does have mask (didn't wear it, grrrr.) and I have instucted her to never do that again.

Girls at this age will do whatever you tell them to do in a game, the adults involved should have known better.

Thoughts?

Nov 14, 2011
This isn't a good situation for all parties. 35 feet is too short for the safety of the pitcher. This also has to kill the play of the game by allowing a good pitcher to totally dominate the game making medium to lower batters irrelevant. That isn't the way softball should be played. IMO.

I would be upset at at the umpire, the opposing coach and especially your coach. Your coach is the first person that should be protecting his/her players, not the umpires or the other coaches. I would talk to your coach and express your concerns with him/her. Blaming it on the umpires and other coach is useless.

Oct 19, 2009
I don't think this is a huge deal from a safety perspective. Some 10u travel pitchers throw over 50mph every day against great young hitters.

That aside, it was not a good growing experience for the players as it was a game played incorrectly. The coach should have insisted on moving it back. I've been in the opposite situation twice. Had 10u game we played from 40' and a couple of 12u games from 43'. I got tired of hearing that the plate could not be moved so I started packing a pitchers plate with flanges and nails (and 4lb sledge) to take to games - just in case.

Feb 28, 2011
SW Florida
My DD is now 15, but from a safety perspective, at that age I would have been upset. I am at a softball field 3-5 days a week, I have never seen a 10u throw over 50. Most JV high school pitchers are barely bumping 50 around here so if you got one doing it, rock on. Can't wait to see her pitch college!!

Oct 19, 2009
My DD is now 15, but from a safety perspective, at that age I would have been upset. I am at a softball field 3-5 days a week, I have never seen a 10u throw over 50. Most JV high school pitchers are barely bumping 50 around here so if you got one doing it, rock on. Can't wait to see her pitch college!!

It's common among elite travel teams. Find out when and where ASA States are in your state and go watch some 10u action.

May 25, 2010
I've seen a few girls in my area at 10U throwing at or low 50's...
You must be in Texas.

(couldn't resist) :D

To the original poster, I think you're overreacting a bit, but agree that your DD was at greater risk for injury than if the rubber had been properly positioned at 40'. I believe they're supposed to move it as soon as they realize the error, but I might be wrong.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I don't consider it too big of deal either. As noted, 10's throw it that hard and that little 11 inch ball will really go when hit.

But, I may not be the best to answer, I told my daughter from day one she could be anything she wanted to be except a pitcher. I told her when a girl chooses to pitch, it turns at least one of her parents psycho.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez