Two outs, time's almost out...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
If they insist on making the clock a part of the game then manipulating the clock will be part of the strategy.

May 8, 2017
My initial reaction was this is a douchebag move. Even if it works out and the home team wins, everyone outside your circle still thinks you're a jerk. Do you care? If not, you were probably that person keeping score in tee ball just a few years earlier or an 8U trophy hunter. These types tend to defend themselves by saying the objective of the game is to score more runs or points than the opposition. No need to teach class, respect, sportsmanship, etc. When it really matters, these coaches will not have taught their players the skills needed to be successful at the game they're playing or in life.

When it's your team, you're doing everything you can to win without breaking the rules. I get it.

When you're the other team, it's cheap. I don't think this is the way the game was intended to be played. It's 10U, lol, but trashy on any level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Would you foul down 1 with 10 seconds left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2013
i have no problem with a coach trying to get an extra inning in. I do have issues with blatant stalling tactics. I've seen the untied shoes after an offensive conference that took entirely too long. Asking the ump for an explanation on a call that wasn't even close. Pretty much everything you can think of. I actually saw a team run out the clock while up 9-1. If you feel like your team can't protect an 8 run lead for one more inning, you have confidence problems.

Sep 22, 2015
Would you foul down 1 with 10 seconds left?

Not if I had the ball...:p

Again, basketball, football, and any other sport that has a clock should not be mentioned. Clock management SHOULD be a strategy in those sports. Softball wasn't intended to have a clock and only adds a greasy film to the sport of travel softball. The "clever" coaches who employ these shenanigans, well, to be honest, I lose respect for them. If you can win a game using such tactics, good for you. That's why you're a great coach and I'm average. Any softball game of importance should not be a timed event. Let the players play decide the outcome. These types are the coaches who told their players to throw the ball to first because that's where his two best players were in 8U, regardless of the situation. This is the guy who has his 3rd baseman hold the ball with two outs and runner on 2nd praying for a ground ball force out at 3rd on the next batter. These types are the coaches who's daughter is the best player on the team...playing the pitchers mound in Little League, fields a grounder and tries to race the runner to the base as opposed to throwing it. Teach the kids the game! I mean, we're talking about a sport where if you succeed and get a hit in 30-40% of your AB's, you're tops in your league. Well, that is if you put your players in a competitive and challenging environment. You fail sometimes...its okay, its life. It is easier to win in softball than it is in life, but use one to teach the other.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
I think it was suggested on here before..so kudos to whoever suggested this. If a clock must be used then have the games be "x" amount of time + 1 inning. Seems to be a more logical approach than "finish the inning" which causes these types of strategies. Absolutely hate "finish the batter" and "drop dead" games (unless just a meaningless friendly). Had DD at the plate once, team down by 2 with runners on 2 & 3 with a 2-2 count in a finish the batter semi final game. Ump calls "times up" so other team just walks her...game over.

FWIW, if the coach of that team on D when the other team started stepping off is really that upset about it they can always just change their pitcher to run out clock without throwing another pitch. Not saying that's not a sandlot thing to do, but an effective counter should they so choose.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DDs have been in some games where the umpires encouraged time management strategies.

Such as, the umpire reminds them there is one minute left on the clock and if they want to play one more inning they'd better hustle out and start the inning FAST!!!!!

Which they should be doing anyway, but that is another story.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My DDs have been in some games where the umpires encouraged time management strategies.

Such as, the umpire reminds them there is one minute left on the clock and if they want to play one more inning they'd better hustle out and start the inning FAST!!!!!

Which they should be doing anyway, but that is another story.

By rule, a new inning starts the instant that the present inning ends. So there's no need to "hustle out". The new inning has already started and still needs to be completed.

Feb 7, 2013
By rule, a new inning starts the instant that the present inning ends. So there's no need to "hustle out". The new inning has already started and still needs to be completed.

Bretman - isn't there a rule in ASA against delay or hasten the game (slowing down or speeding up the game) and what is the penalty? Forfeiture?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Bretman - isn't there a rule in ASA against delay or hasten the game (slowing down or speeding up the game) and what is the penalty? Forfeiture?

Yes there is.

But forfeiture should be a last resort. Most of the time, just reminding the coach that a forfeit is a possibility will solve the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott