Two outs, time's almost out...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Rule 5-4-E: FORFEITED GAMES.
A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases:
- If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game.

And it's not just an ASA thing. This rule, or some version of it, is in most every baseball and softball rule book. It dates back to the earliest days of professional baseball, back to the early 1900's.

Back then a clock wasn't a consideration. This was designed for cases such as weather turning bad and a team purposely making outs to get in enough innings to make it an official game, or darkness approaching and a team stalling to prevent the other team from having a chance to come back.

These tactics didn't sit well with paying fans. They wanted to see the best players try their best, not purposely make outs or stall the game. So the rule was written and, like many other rules, subsequent baseball and softball leagues copied it when they wrote their own rule books.

Whether or not a tactic is delaying or hastening the game can be situational and is at the discretion of the umpires. I have never seen any official interpretations for ASA/USA softball that defines precisely what this means.

My personal opinion, with respect to a clock being used, is that if something causes the game to continue such that both teams will still have an equal number of at-bats, then it is generally acceptable. For example, making an out when the clock is running down so that another full inning can be played.

If the strategy deprives the other team from getting their at-bats (ie: illegal stalling when in the lead to run out the clock), then I feel that the umpire needs to address it. Again, just reminding the coach that the tactic can lead to a forfeit is usually enough to put a stop to it. And, again, a forfeit should be the absolute last resort after issuing any warnings.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
My DDs have been in some games where the umpires encouraged time management strategies.

Such as, the umpire reminds them there is one minute left on the clock and if they want to play one more inning they'd better hustle out and start the inning FAST!!!!!

Which they should be doing anyway, but that is another story.

Except by rule the inning started the instant the 3rd out of the previous inning occurred. If there was time on the clock at the 3rd out, the new inning has already begun.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
;434625 said:
Coaches, you want to play more in timed games? Have your team hustle on and off the field. We lose an inning or more every game because switching sides takes 5 minutes every half inning. It is not that hard to get on and off the field.

While I agree there is s a lot of time wasted in games, its doesnt matter if they "get more play in a timed game", its the time at the end of the game that your trying to manage.

Think of the BBall/Football analogy. It could be 60-60 or 100-100 depending on how fast the game goes. But if there is a clock involved, it has to be used to your adavantage if possible.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases:
***- If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game.***

"If the strategy deprives the other team from getting their at-bats (ie: illegal stalling when in the lead to run out the clock), then I feel that the umpire needs to address it. Again, just reminding the coach that the tactic can lead to a forfeit is usually enough to put a stop to it. And, again, a forfeit should be the absolute last resort after issuing any warnings."

If the rules of the game allow a clock, then clock management becomes part of the game.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Except by rule the inning started the instant the 3rd out of the previous inning occurred. If there was time on the clock at the 3rd out, the new inning has already begun.

Maybe the umpires were trying to get the girls to hustle out, rather than dawdle when there might be other teams waiting for the field.

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe the umpires were trying to get the girls to hustle out, rather than dawdle when there might be other teams waiting for the field.

Except the post I responded to indicated the umpire said if they wanted to get another inning in they better hustle because there was only one minute on the clock. The inning already started so the clock becomes completely irrelevant unless it is drop dead in which case there would be no chance of getting another inning in regardless.

No need to hustle the girls, simply enforce the 1 minute between innings the entire game and there won't be any problems getting the girls to hustle.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
- If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game.

My personal opinion, with respect to a clock being used, is that if something causes the game to continue such that both teams will still have an equal number of at-bats, then it is generally acceptable. For example, making an out when the clock is running down so that another full inning can be played.

If the strategy deprives the other team from getting their at-bats (ie: illegal stalling when in the lead to run out the clock), then I feel that the umpire needs to address it. Again, just reminding the coach that the tactic can lead to a forfeit is usually enough to put a stop to it. And, again, a forfeit should be the absolute last resort after issuing any warnings.

Excellent, thanks.

Although you point out that this rule wasn't designed with timed softball games in mind, this does help make the case that stalling to run out the clock is violating the rules (aka, cheating). It's hard to say it's just part of the game and good strategy when an ASA rule says ''tactics noticeably designed to delay ... the game'' are grounds for forfeit.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
I made this call before...regardless of the result I felt like crap afterwards. I couldn't even look my parents in the eye. Wont do again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid