How many earned runs in this inning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't think that would change anything. The reason iScore is saying no earned runs is because it thinks the E3 should've been out two, and the out at home should've been out three, so everything after that would be unearned for the inning.
Fair enough. Still not sure that is correct though..lol.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What happens if you change the double to a triple? Same thing?

All runs scored after an error are not automatically unearned. If, for example, a runner on first advances to second on a passed ball but then the next batter walks, a run scored by that baserunner on a base hit would be counted as earned as
they would have been on second anyway after the walk.
Same exact outcome. All unearned runs.

I'm not saying I agree with IScore or Game Changer, but that's how they score it. You would think they have the scoring rules correct.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, I just ran that situation through Game Changer, and the result always comes up as all three runs being unearned. Maybe it's the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. Maybe it's a quirk similar to why you can't assume the double play. Either way, both programs have them as unearned.

Jun 8, 2016
Okay, I just ran that situation through Game Changer, and the result always comes up as all three runs being unearned. Maybe it's the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. Maybe it's a quirk similar to why you can't assume the double play. Either way, both programs have them as unearned.
Right it is assuming two outs would have been made had the error not been made..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Right it is assuming two outs would have been made had the error not been made..

Yep. And I see no way for the algorithm to "know" that wasn't possible.

But, again, I do wonder like LEsoftballdad said if it's like the "can't assume the double play" thing where you just have to treat those events as separate even though they aren't.

I'm leaving the runs as unearned, I guess, but if someone chimes in with a definitive answer to the contrary, I'll change it. It's certainly not a big deal either way.

Aug 21, 2020
Just catching up on this. The 2022/2023 NCAA rules has this section which supports all the runs being unearned:

Unearned runs… After the defensive team has had an opportunity to record three outs employing only ordinary effort, any subsequent runs that score shall be unearned. A run is always unearned if the runner who scores reached first base by error or had prolonged life because of a dropped foul fly or obstruction.

So yes it looks like the - the K, 1-3 error, and 3-2 got you your 3 opportunities for outs and is following that any runs are now unearned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think that would change anything. The reason iScore is saying no earned runs is because it thinks the E3 should've been out two, and the out at home should've been out three, so everything after that would be unearned for the inning.

That's how I'd score it too, but of course I let GameChange do the hard thinking for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles