Two outs, time's almost out...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
See this all the time, not a big deal. One coach is trying to make sure the clock runs out, one is trying to extend the game. Coach is just trying to give the team a chance to win based on the rules set out by the tournament. Would you think it odd for a basketball or football coach to manage the clock in certain situations?

Feb 17, 2014
Coaches, you want to play more in timed games? Have your team hustle on and off the field. We lose an inning or more every game because switching sides takes 5 minutes every half inning. It is not that hard to get on and off the field.

Jun 12, 2015
Coaches, you want to play more in timed games? Have your team hustle on and off the field. We lose an inning or more every game because switching sides takes 5 minutes every half inning. It is not that hard to get on and off the field.

This same team tried stalling tactics in another game once. They had their batters start to come out of the dugout very very slowly. It was really late, the game was way behind schedule, and the umpire had had enough of it and had DD start pitching when their batter was still in the dugout. There were 2 strikes on her before she ever got in the box. Then she bunted and fouled and they were very confused as to why she was out. Pay attention, people.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Would you think it odd for a basketball or football coach to manage the clock in certain situations?

No, only in timed softball games. They are different. If they were the same, they'd elicit the same reaction. But they don't. There's a good reason why it's annoying in softball and not in basketball and football. Where there's smoke, there's fire, IMO.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Sure it is. The softball world will collapse without those last minute pep talks, 100 practice swings and required congratulatory visits to the circle after every out. :)

May 23, 2015
A real coach (not a title on the back of a shirt) teaches and mentors players at all ages. A big part of that is teaching self esteem and showing the players how to trust in their abilities and have a thorough understanding of when to bear down and handle pressure. I never have nor never will have a players give themselves up to win a game. Few things give me more pleasure on the field than stomping a mudhole in a trophy chasing hack. It's all too common.

CheapTrick1.jpg

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No, only in timed softball games. They are different. If they were the same, they'd elicit the same reaction. But they don't. There's a good reason why it's annoying in softball and not in basketball and football. Where there's smoke, there's fire, IMO.

Football and basketball are games reliant on the clock and the officials can stop it at will. IMO, and I have done it and seen it done, umpires should have equal authority when it is obvious of the intent.

Jun 12, 2015
A real coach (not a title on the back of a shirt) teaches and mentors players at all ages. A big part of that is teaching self esteem and showing the players how to trust in their abilities and have a thorough understanding of when to bear down and handle pressure. I never have nor never will have a players give themselves up to win a game. Few things give me more pleasure on the field than stomping a mudhole in a trophy chasing hack. It's all too common.

96604940.jpg

You're speaking my language :D

Sep 29, 2014
You play the cards you are dealt if you are dealt a clock use it...the answer is always it depends

If there are two or three minutes left and I'm up with the chance to run out the clock I don't have any heartburn telling my players to take two strikes versus swing at the first pitch, am I having them tie their shoes or calling time...not usually...but with two outs and one strike on the batter and 30 seconds on the clock I might call the batter over and remind them to NOT swing oohh did that take 30 seconds what do you know the game has been called.

Would I step off a base to get an extra inning...it depends down a run or two, runners on second and third even with two outs and the bottom of my line up I'm playing it out...I've actually done this before and the girl came through you can't beat those experiences. Now down three or four runs with two outs and a runner on first one minutes left probably stepping off...I've had this go both ways good and ugly.

Jun 12, 2015
Would I step off a base to get an extra inning...it depends down a run or two, runners on second and third even with two outs and the bottom of my line up I'm playing it out...I've actually done this before and the girl came through you can't beat those experiences.

This is what stands out the most to me. There was one game we played where it was 6-3, we were losing. Final inning, 2 outs. Player hit single that started a rally. The game ended up 9-6 us. That game was so much fun both to watch and for the girls. It could've gone the other way. She could've struck out and we could have lost. To me that's the gamble of the game. At this age anyway I'd rather see them play it out. Learning how to lose gracefully is as much a part of this as anything else IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi