Two outs, time's almost out...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
As soon as a clock is introduced to the game, smart coaches will use it to their advantage. Not to consider it throughout the game is a mistake IMO.

Jun 12, 2015
I can't say I feel morally indignant about it. I do feel amused when it backfires. That much I can't help ;)

Jun 8, 2016
Don't hate the playa hate the game (or something like that..I'm old). Once you bring a clock into a sport which isn't designed to have one
you should deal with, and accept, the consequences regardless of how ridiculous they may be.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
heres another scenario to ponder:
away team winning 8-0 after 4.
weather begins to move in.
an official game is 5 completed innings.
do you instruct your first three batters to intentionally strike out in top of 5?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What is at stake? Only bragging rights or something more. FWIW - It is more effective to step across home plate in lieu of three swings.

Oct 27, 2015
Smart clock management is part of good strategy in timed games. I'd be embarrassed not to at least considering that move depending on how far you are down.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What do you think of this tactic:

Time is down to a minute or two, with 2 outs. The hitting team is home, and they're losing. Coach has player get out on purpose (either a runner step off, or batter get out intentionally) to force another inning before time expires. Clever clock manipulation or cheap trick? Situation one: runners on 2 and 3. Situation two: no runners on. Is this an OK tactic to use in either situation?

ETA: this is 10U. But I'm interested in opinions for any age level.

This is why a game should never end on a clock, but a full (or half if a full isn't necessary) inning.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Coaches calling time, stepping off base, etc, etc... Until you've seen four consecutive 12U batters come to the plate with their shoes untied, you haven't seen clock management! Lol! True story!

Jun 12, 2015
Coaches calling time, stepping off base, etc, etc... Until you've seen four consecutive 12U batters come to the plate with their shoes untied, you haven't seen clock management! Lol! True story!

That stuff is WAY more annoying to me. Like others have said, at least this was just to get an extra inning, not to try to run down the clock. That's ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi