Appeal play rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
I have some doubts about appeal play.

1. When can appeal be made?
2. If there are two missed base can the fielder appeal for both runners in the same play? I mean a fielder throw ball to a base and says "appeal" then the ball Is thrown to an other fielder who touches the base and says the same or what?
3. When is an appeal finished?
4. Is it legal a fielder throw to 2B to appeal and then throw the ball to the catcher to try to retreat R3? In this situation is the appeal legit?
5. Can the empire call time and interrupt an action?

Jun 22, 2008

Any time during live ball by a fielder with possession of the ball or a dead ball appeal may be made by fielder or coach. Some rulesets I believe differ a little in if it may be any fielder or just an infielder. Been a while since I have checked all the rulesets.

2. If there are two missed base can the fielder appeal for both runners in the same play? I mean a fielder throw ball to a base and says "appeal" then the ball Is thrown to an other fielder who touches the base and says the same or what?

The defense can make as many appeals as they want, but the umpire should not allow guessing. Defense should not be allowed to just throw to every base making random appeals.

When the umpire rules on the appeal.

4. Is it legal a fielder throw to 2B to appeal and then throw the ball to the catcher to try to retreat R3? In this situation is the appeal legit?

Yes, during a live ball appeal obviously the ball is still live and the defense can still play on other runners after making the appeal.

Umpires should never call time during live play unless there is some medical emergency that needs to be addressed immediately.

May 29, 2015

We can do anything we want.

empire-starwars.gif

Oct 4, 2023
Yes, depending on the association and rules code in effect, live and dead ball appeals can be made for missed bases and leaving early on steals and tag ups. The game situation usually determines the type of appeal. For example, a caught line drive with a runner off base may lead to a quick throw or play doubling that runner off base without having legally retouched before playing action ends. That is an example of a live ball appeal perhaps the most common in softball or baseball.

A live ball appeal can be verbal or achieved by touching a runner or the appropriate base with the ball in hand. Multiple appeals can be achieved in this fashion, hence a double or triple play. All the outs you secure in an inning can be achieved by appeal. A dead ball appeal is simply one that is made after playing action ends. A coach or player may make such an appeal request. As noted, multiple appeal requests can be made on one play so long as the request is not deemed as making a travesty of the game.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Yes, depending on the association and rules code in effect, live and dead ball appeals can be made for missed bases and leaving early on steals and tag ups. The game situation usually determines the type of appeal. For example, a caught line drive with a runner off base may lead to a quick throw or play doubling that runner off base without having legally retouched before playing action ends. That is an example of a live ball appeal perhaps the most common in softball or baseball.

A live ball appeal can be verbal or achieved by touching a runner or the appropriate base with the ball in hand. Multiple appeals can be achieved in this fashion, hence a double or triple play. All the outs you secure in an inning can be achieved by appeal. A dead ball appeal is simply one that is made after playing action ends. A coach or player may make such an appeal request. As noted, multiple appeal requests can be made on one play so long as the request is not deemed as making a travesty of the game.

No, leaving early on a steal cannot be appealed.
No, a live ball appeal can not be verbal.

May 17, 2023

Any time during live ball by a fielder with possession of the ball or a dead ball appeal may be made by fielder or coach. Some rulesets I believe differ a little in if it may be any fielder or just an infielder. Been a while since I have checked all the rulesets.

The defense can make as many appeals as they want, but the umpire should not allow guessing. Defense should not be allowed to just throw to every base making random appeals.

When the umpire rules on the appeal.

Yes, during a live ball appeal obviously the ball is still live and the defense can still play on other runners after making the appeal.

Umpires should never call time during live play unless there is some medical emergency that needs to be addressed immediately.
Is appeal legal only if the fielder moves toward the missed base or the runner before the runner, who missed the base, does?
I mean if the runner moves first the fielder must to tag him but he cannot tag the base, right? So when the fielder just moves toward the base only in this case he can appeal, right?
Situation A
No forced situation: R1 missed 2B and R2 missed 3B so a fielder moves toward 2B and says appeal with the ball immediatly then he throw to 3B and the other fielder says appeal and finally throw to the catcher to retreat the runners all in the same play, is this legal? In this case when the action has ended the umpire will call time and both runners will be called out or not?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Is appeal legal only if the fielder moves toward the missed base or the runner before the runner, who missed the base, does?
I mean if the runner moves first the fielder must to tag him but he cannot tag the base, right? So when the fielder just moves toward the base only in this case he can appeal, right?
Situation A
No forced situation: R1 missed 2B and R2 missed 3B so a fielder moves toward 2B and says appeal with the ball immediatly then he throw to 3B and the other fielder says appeal and finally throw to the catcher to retreat the runners all in the same play, is this legal? In this case when the action has ended the umpire will call time and both runners will be called out or not?
Moves towards? In a live ball appeal, the fielder must touch the base while in possession of the ball or tag the runner before the runner corrects their miss (i.e. before the runner touches the base they missed). If the fielder successfully does this, the runner will be declared out by the umpire, and the play is still live

Just saying the word “appeal” while “moving towards” a base is nothing. When the ball is live the runner still has the opportunity to correct their mistake until they are tagged or the base they missed is tagged.

Aug 25, 2019
Say a runner missed third and scores, all action then stops and ball in circle, can the defensive coach call time and just say " appeal the runner missed third base". Or do they have to throw the ball to third base?

Jun 22, 2008
For a dead ball appeal you dont have to throw the ball anywhere. Just simply call time and either the players or the coach can ask the blue what they are appealing. Drives me nuts when teams start throwing the ball around in a live situation risking letting runners advance, just call time and make the appeal verbally.

Thats assuming all playing action has stopped. You cannot just call time in the middle of action to make a dead ball appeal.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
What drives me just as crazy as a coach is when I call time and appeal to blue, eg, “She left third early and didn’t tag up.” and am told to wait for the ball to be put in play and have the pitcher throw to the base. Dead ball appeal opportunities don’t come up all that often but by my calculation about 80% of mine have been met with bafflement by the umpire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles