Unsportsmanlike spectrum: you decide

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
That other thread has really run its course (hahahah - see what I did there?), but starting another to tease out the spectrum of unsporting behavior...

NFHS, ART. 13 . . . Unsporting acts shall not be committed, including, but not limited to: a. use of words or actions to incite or try to incite spectators to demonstrate. b. use of profanity, intimidation and/or deceitful tactics, baiting or taunting; or; c. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Choose:

a) Legitimate trickery
b) Deceitful tactic
c) Behavior not in spirit of fair play
d) Deceitful / bad spirited, but minor

1. Fake Throw – fielder pretends to throw to get runner to advance or leave base (could be a ground ball to F5 with R3, or could be backpick to F3 who pretends to throw back to F1)

2. Fake Overthrow – fielders pretend throw goes into outfield to get runner to advance

3. Fake Catch – two outfielders converge on a fly ball, one of them pretends to catch ball early to get runner to advance

4. Not delivering a pitch to cause runner to leave early

5. BR runs to 1b on uncaught third strike while 1b is occupied

6. BR runs to 1b on ball 3

7. Intentionally missing base to gain advantage (lol, I think we know everyone’s stance on this by now)

8. Coach calls out the wrong number of outs

9. Runner intentionally leaves base way before catch in attempt to score

10. Team bats out of order because Teagan is 0 for 31, defense doesn’t notice

11. R1 deliberately falls down b/w 1st and 2nd to draw throw/tag so R3 can score

12. Fake bunt / slash

13. Changeup…(I kid, I kid)

Jun 8, 2016
Too lazy to answer them all but I have no problem with most deception with the exception (maybe) of circumstances where doing so can cause possible injury. For example an IF covering a base faking like a throw is coming in order to make a runner slide. In line with that I am not a fan of 12 but I realize that is part of softball so..Most other forms of "dekeing" I don't have issue with. I used to try and make the runner taking a lead off 2B stay close to the bag by pounding my glove behind him, etc which would probably be somewhat equivalent to your #'s 1-3.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
That other thread has really run its course (hahahah - see what I did there?), but starting another to tease out the spectrum of unsporting behavior...

NFHS, ART. 13 . . . Unsporting acts shall not be committed, including, but not limited to: a. use of words or actions to incite or try to incite spectators to demonstrate. b. use of profanity, intimidation and/or deceitful tactics, baiting or taunting; or; c. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.

Choose:

a) Legitimate trickery
b) Deceitful tactic
c) Behavior not in spirit of fair play
d) Deceitful / bad spirited, but minor

1. Fake Throw – fielder pretends to throw to get runner to advance or leave base (could be a ground ball to F5 with R3, or could be backpick to F3 who pretends to throw back to F1)

2. Fake Overthrow – fielders pretend throw goes into outfield to get runner to advance

3. Fake Catch – two outfielders converge on a fly ball, one of them pretends to catch ball early to get runner to advance

5. BR runs to 1b on uncaught third strike while 1b is occupied

6. BR runs to 1b on ball 3

7. Intentionally missing base to gain advantage (lol, I think we know everyone’s stance on this by now)

8. Coach calls out the wrong number of outs

9. Runner intentionally leaves base way before catch in attempt to score

10. Team bats out of order because Teagan is 0 for 31, defense doesn’t notice

11. R1 deliberately falls down b/w 1st and 2nd to draw throw/tag so R3 can score

12. Fake bunt / slash

13. Changeup…(I kid, I kid)
#s 1-12= A

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Too lazy to answer them all but I have no problem with deception with the exception (maybe) of circumstances where doing so can cause possible injury. For example an IF covering a base faking like a throw is coming in order to make a runner slide. All other forms of "dekeing" I don't have issue with. I used to try and make the runner taking a lead off 2B stay close to the bag by pounding my glove behind him, etc which would probably be somewhat equivalent to your #'s 1-3.
Faking a tag is in the rule book as a form of obstruction. Not sure if you are aware of this. Not trying to be a jerk.

Jun 8, 2016
Faking a tag is in the rule book as a form of obstruction. Not sure if you are aware of this. Not trying to be a jerk.
No problem. Didn't think you were acting like a jerk..I am an expert at that so I can usually tell pretty well when somebody is jerking my chain...;)

Yeah I knew that. I wasn't talking about a fake tag but just acting like the ball was coming in to them.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Why am I limited to those options? How about "e) Coach your own team and let the umpires do their job."

Doing those two things resolves 99.9% of all issues on your list and more.

I am inclined to agree and far be it from me to put limits on anyone. Just figured folks had such strong opinions in the other one it would be fun to test how far this concept would go and apply to other situations.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

An illegal pitch covered by the rules.

Although some types of deception is covered by rule (fake tag or fake throw from pitcher in circle), the other "fakes" you outline in that category is "legitimate trickery". Behavior crossing the line into "not in spirit of fair play" is attempting to deceive the umpire, which could include leaving way early or running well inside the bases.

You forgot at least one category that can explain several...mistake/incompetence. Running to 1B on 3 balls one time is a mistake. Doing it repeatedly looks more deliberate AND annoys everyone, including the umpire. Calling the wrong number of outs makes you look stupid; 98% of the time, the opposing coach will immediately question that and confirm with the umpire. Running on a D3K? That's good hustle...the catcher needs to know the situation.

Jun 8, 2016
Why am I limited to those options? How about "e) Coach your own team and let the umpires do their job."

Doing those two things resolves 99.9% of all issues on your list and more.
How one feels about the scenarios (eg how they answer) would guide how they would coach a team and/or would want their kid coached..MYOB is the right answer if he was asking how you would react if you saw another team doing any of those things...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Faking, hmmm, so if the ball goes into the Fielder's glove and it falls out, and fielder may or may not know it has fallen out,
while still proceeding to put down the tag. I guess in that situation the Umpire would have to apply a judgment of intent or not?!
To Fake ot Not to Fake...
That is question...😁

How one feels about the scenarios (eg how they answer) would guide how they would coach a team and/or would want their kid coached..
😁 that reply appears you are being sensible today

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478