thoughts on setting batting order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Our slap defense is 2nd and short in on the infield in a line between pitchers plate and 1st/3rd base. 1b and 3b 3-4 steps behind bags outfield in on dirt. 20 feet behind baseline. Left and right in toward 2nd to fill the holes. Maybe one out of 30-40 at bats a girl gets lucky and gets a hit over outfielders. I'll take that every day of the week.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I always thought that the coach's kid batted lead off or clean up and the rear't coach's kids got the other 3 spots. :) Then, everyone else was slotted in, as they arrived in the parking lot.

Jun 1, 2013
I always thought that the coach's kid batted lead off or clean up and the rear't coach's kids got the other 3 spots. :) Then, everyone else was slotted in, as they arrived in the parking lot.

This is no joke, I have seen a high school coach do batting order by class! Sr., Jr., So., Freshman.

Jul 28, 2008
The first time you go with that line up, your #12 hitter will have a 100% obp. Last hitter needs to have speed so you don't slow your lead off hitter down should they both get on base.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
While you may be correct about the stealing aspect. You may have forgotten that in order to steal you must first get on base.

I'll take a speedy runner who can beat out a defensive play to 1B any day of the week.

I hear you, but he had already given us the on-base percentages. Once I know that one girl is .400 OBA and another one is .300, then their ability to beat out a grounder is no longer significant in deciding the batting order.

Can't remember exactly what I said, though. If I was commenting on the value of speed in general in travel ball, then you might be right that I overlooked what you're saying. Beating out grounders is a big part of the game. Can't disagree w/ that.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio

LOL! I have to say that this is actually one of my concerns when I set the order. My daughter has been in the #2 or #3 slot all season and I'm waiting for the parental comments to get back to me (she is leading the team in OBP, AVE, and SLG). The HC's daughter I have been putting in the #7 slot (out of 12 batters) even though by the numbers, she should be in the 11 slot... But I know if I drop her where she *should* be, the HC will be very displeased. The other coaches' daughters are in the lower half as well, so I'm waiting for fallout on that as well...

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Last hitter needs to have speed so you don't slow your lead off hitter down should they both get on base.

I don't really agree with this. If you have a #1 hitter that can drive the ball (not your stereotypical groundball hitter who can beat out the throw to 1st), gives you the best chance of getting that slower runner around the bases. I'd rather have the slow runner batting last with a good hitter up in the 1 slot, than the slow runner batting low in the order with a weak hitter behind her who will almost certainly get the runner in a FC situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32