thoughts on setting batting order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
That is exactly my point. If I had to guess I would say DD had by far the most at bats in school ball. It is fall ball, let the other players hit, they will get more out of it then giving DD another at bat.

Get this Player:

Batter 12: 250 OBP, 182 AVE, inconsistent batter, can't hit 50mph, slow runner

like this player:

Batter 3: 682 OBP, 533 AVE, good contact hitter, rarely strikes out

by giving her more experence.

Feb 7, 2013
Do you have any lefties or slappers in the line-up? That would be helpful information. I love a lefty at lead-off that has a high on-base%. But I agree with RickK, get your best hitters and players with high OBP% as many at-bats as possible. They are the ones that are getting the majority of the RBI and Runs scored so get them the most at-bats. We recently had our best batter bat lead-off when conventional wisdom says bat her 3rd or 4th. But this batting order strategy worked out well for us, she got on base a lot and was a good, aggressive base-runner. Especially in Fall, don't be afraid to mix up the line-up each weekend to see what works and what doesn't.

Jun 11, 2013
Rocket, we had our best hitter (by a mile) hit lead off last weekend. She scored in the first inning every game (6 times). She is not very fast, but fast enough and we backed her up with 2 very good hitters(one lefty (not slapper)) who worked the counts and let our hitters see all pitches by batter 3. We then had our previous lead off hitter at 4th lefty slapper. On Saturday top 2 scored 10 times in first 2 games and the top 4 scored 20 runs in 3 games. Since it worked so well we'll likely go away from it this weekend :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Do you have any lefties or slappers in the line-up? That would be helpful information. I love a lefty at lead-off that has a high on-base%.

If she's your best on-base hitter, then yes. I've coached only one effective slapper in five years, so I'm floating this as a theory. I really don't know much about it. But here goes ...

I wonder if slappers are not more effective batting with runners on base, especially a slapper who hits a lot of ground balls. Slappers are trying to win a race to first. The more options/distractions for the fielders, the more races the slapper will win. Batting a good slapper 3-5 might work pretty well.

On the other hand, some might argue that the slapper's tendency to hit soft liners at the infield might make it hard on base-runners and make the team vulnerable to double plays if she bats with runners on base.

Jun 11, 2013
I really like the possibilities. Think of a runner at 2nd. 3rd playing in for bunt. Start the runner forces SS to vacate to cover 3rd leaving a huge hole. I was talking to someone the other day about slappers and how some really can't hit to RF very well. Why no move RF into infield and play 3 on left side. Move CF over a little and 2nd back a touch. Maybe crazy, but wondering if anyone does it.

Jun 1, 2013
Depending what level you play, a good drag bunt from lefty will send R1 to 3rd. SS covers second 3rd is playing up and runner never slows down. An effective lefty in 2 hole is the way to go.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I also think that speed, while nice, can be overrated, especially at middling levels, epecially in a high-scoring league. How may girls get thrown out stealing? If not many, then what difference does it make if the girl's speed is a 10 or a 5? Both are probably going to be safe.

While you may be correct about the stealing aspect. You may have forgotten that in order to steal you must first get on base.

I'll take a speedy runner who can beat out a defensive play to 1B any day of the week.

You need base runners or home run hitters if you ever plan on scoring.

Jul 11, 2013
I really like the possibilities. Think of a runner at 2nd. 3rd playing in for bunt. Start the runner forces SS to vacate to cover 3rd leaving a huge hole. I was talking to someone the other day about slappers and how some really can't hit to RF very well. Why no move RF into infield and play 3 on left side. Move CF over a little and 2nd back a touch. Maybe crazy, but wondering if anyone does it.

Most good slappers can also hit away or power slap. I would love to see a defense like you describes against my DD who is an excellent power slapper. If the pitch was in the middle or to the inside of the plate you would likely see a drive to right field and more than likely an in the park homer. Also, most people place good OBP slappers at 1,2 or 9 in the line-up.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I tell the girls, right from the get go, (14u), best average bats first, ba, obp. This way reinforces the competition factor, and does away with any thought of favoritism, that girls will jump on.

There is always a group of girls that are close together, during warm ups, lite flight front toss, you can see some shine, a bit more than others, move them up.

Slappers, always seem to have a really good OBP, they can slap, or power slap, or slap bunt.

Everyone of my girls, better be able to bunt, or they cannot swing away anymore.

that's from my coach wife, who says I obsess, on hitting(go figure).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32