Leaving team after 6weeks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Lol. Winning in fall ball is not what we are interested in. We were told we would spend the fall developing players not winning. We have won some games and lost some games. We arent seeking plastic trophies. In my opinion nobody should be.
There is a fall league in my general area, the 12U division has a 4 run per inning max rule. If your daughter is playing in a league like this and not getting some innings on the mound and in the infield I would consider it a big red flag.

Jul 6, 2023
Not to sounds like the typical internet jerk, but command of three pitches in 12u is very uncommon. Command of a fastball alone puts a kid in the top 10%. If she has game command of three pitches and great speed, she should be mowing batters down like a Cub Cadet.
Cool. And would be if given the chance:) Have a blessed day.

Jul 6, 2023
Sounds like you should find a rec league, which is what you are describing. Players are rotated based on league rules. Everyone plays infield and outfield and those that want to pitch and catch can do so. Most leagues don't give out plastic trophies anymore.

The other option is that you can do what many, many parents have done before you when they disagree with their current travel coach's philosophy and you can start your own team. It's not like some coach hasn't thought of starting a travel team based on development and not "seeking plastic trophies". Let me know how that works out.
Great advice thanks!

Jul 6, 2023
There is a fall league in my general area, the 12U division has a 4 run per inning max rule. If your daughter is playing in a league like this and not getting some innings on the mound and in the infield I would consider it a big red flag.
Thank you. We have a 5 run rule. My thoughts exactly.

Apr 28, 2014
Where was the other team that "needs her" during tryouts? Looking back over the last 10 years we were lucky that DD was always the #3 pitcher at the start of every season.. and by the final game in every single year she ended up being the #1. It was the grind that built her into a real pitcher. I would suspect that if she was given the title as #1 pitcher day 1 that she would have never pushed herself to her limits. Things like who's number 1, 2 or 3 in fall ball mean little. The game sorts out who the real #1 is. The player needs to have the fire to push to be #1 We must do the thing we think we can not do.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023
Where was the other team that "needs her" during tryouts? Looking back over the last 10 years we were lucky that DD was always the #3 pitcher at the start of every season.. and by the final game in every single year she ended up being the #1. It was the grind that built her into a real pitcher. I would suspect that if she was given the title as #1 pitcher day 1 that she would have never pushed herself to her limits. Things like who's number 1, 2 or 3 in fall ball mean little. The game sorts out who the real #1 is. The player needs to have the fire to push to be #1 We must do the thing we think we can not do.
Your kid doesn’t go to multiple tryouts? Ours always goes to 3-4 as tryouts help build character. We went with this team as it was the club we were with and we were given the assurances I wrote in the original post. I could care less who’s “number 1” etc. My kid will do what she does whether she’s designated third or fourth or wherever. She practices all of her sports almost daily and that doesn’t change with playing time or roster designation. It’s just what she loves to do. My ask was simply about a promise made by both email and in person to entire group that has not been honored and how to address that. Appreciate your input. Good luck to your pitcher in college!

Apr 28, 2014
Your kid doesn’t go to multiple tryouts? Ours always goes to 3-4 as tryouts help build character. We went with this team as it was the club we were with and we were given the assurances I wrote in the original post. I could care less who’s “number 1” etc. My kid will do what she does whether she’s designated third or fourth or wherever. She practices all of her sports almost daily and that doesn’t change with playing time or roster designation. It’s just what she loves to do. My ask was simply about a promise made by both email and in person to entire group that has not been honored and how to address that. Appreciate your input. Good luck to your pitcher in college!
Let it play out. Give it the summer to see how it shakes out. If the first few weekends bother you that much speak with the coach.

Jan 1, 2023
Wow, she took the #1 spot from Penta!! That’s no easy task.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles