Being best player on bad team, or bench player on good team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2017
My daughter is 15, she is currently the starting MIF and leadoff batter for pretty non-competitive 18U team, (as far as southern Cal is concerned at least). She has an invite to join a top 18U team this summer, she'll be competing for 2nd base position, but may spend a good amount of time on the bench and likely bat bottom of the order (which isn't so important to us, but the few extra at bats she gets batting leadoff are a nice perk).

She's a pretty good player, one of the top 3 players on her HS team and she's just a Sophomore, she's getting some D3 interest, and not even sure if D1 is right for her, but she seems to really think D1 is the only way to go, and if that's the case, she'll need to go to the new team. Here's the thing, my daughter hates sitting the bench, she's miserable when she does, so I hate leaving a team where her position is set, because once you leave, you burn that bridge.

Anyone else been in similar position?

May 27, 2013
She's a pretty good player, one of the top 3 players on her HS team and she's just a Sophomore, she's getting some D3 interest, and not even sure if D1 is right for her, but she seems to really think D1 is the only way to go, and if that's the case, she'll need to go to the new team.

I’d ask her why she thinks D1 is the only way to go. It greatly reduces her options of playing in college. Too many tend to think this way, unfortunately.

Mar 8, 2017
I’d ask her why she thinks D1 is the only way to go. It greatly reduces her options of playing in college. Too many tend to think this way, unfortunately.
I think it's strictly a pride thing. She sees other girls she knows committing D1, some of them she thinks she's better than(maybe she is). With that said, there's some very good D3 schools on the east coast who have been in contact with her and a couple seem very interested. There's a D3 team in the midwest who has promised her merit based scholarships which would be close to a full ride(she's a 4.0 student and can qualify for these). She's only a sophomore, so these offers should be increasing I would imagine.

I'm going to do my best to encourage her to take the best offer to a school that fits her, regardless of what she thinks she wants because I've been through the process and learned from my own mistakes. I was a D1 athlete, I went to a team that was top 3 in the nation because of the same pride she has. My choice was a mistake and I'd like her to not make the same mistake.

May 20, 2016
To be honest i'd shoot somewhere down the middle. You don't learn a ton or improve a ton on the bench. If the other org has a great training program that is one thing, but if not, can buy a bunch of plastic trophies for about $20.00.

edit: and about the D1 thing, it's pretty over rated outside of the top 30-40 teams. Rest of it is pretty much a wash. My DD had offers to go D1 she is smarter than me and gave them a no thanks and will play at a top D3 school.

May 27, 2013
That’s great that’s she’s getting a lot of interest and has a 4.0. That alone will open many doors. I’d definitely tell her to keep her options open, and don’t discount D2/3.

The only concern I have is if she truly only wants D1 is will they see her at showcases if she stays with her current team? Sure there are college camps, but the schools also want to see a player on the field playing different teams - especially higher level if D1 prospect.

I’d say if she’s going to make the move this is the year. Don’t want to wait too much longer. Yes, there is always the chance she will sit, and that will also be something she’ll have to be able to handle as an underclassmen in most decent D1 programs.

Mar 8, 2017
To be honest i'd shoot somewhere down the middle. You don't learn a ton or improve a ton on the bench. If the other org has a great training program that is one thing, but if not, can buy a bunch of plastic trophies for about $20.00.

edit: and about the D1 thing, it's pretty over rated outside of the top 30-40 teams. Rest of it is pretty much a wash. My DD had offers to go D1 she is smarter than me and gave them a no thanks and will play at a top D3 school.
Yeah, I sort of favor this option as well, and may fall back onto that, there's so many teams, I'm sure she could find a fit.

The biggest benefit to this team, is his connections, he gets a lot of players to D1. All his outgoing seniors are going D1. So, even though, I'm not sure she will go D1, if she wants those doors open, and she seems to, this would be the team to do that.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Go play on the new team. She will get more experience just being on this team and will learn to compete at a higher level. This might reveal some things about her game where she needs improvement. Playing every inning on a top team is not important as their rosters are typically bigger. Playing 50% is the minimum playing time I would expect. She can grow into a leader if she sticks with this team for the next 3 years. Seen lots of kids that thrived playing for the Hittin' Kittens, but get on a better team playing better competition and struggles. Also, not all kids that play on top teams go on to "play" D1. Keep options open and search for the best fit for the family. TB and college.

Jun 20, 2015
if she is judging success strictly based on play time....she's in for a rude awakening at some point. be that skill, coach, peers etc.

Yes, she likes to play, but growth comes from being pushed and it doesn't sound like current team is challenging her.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles