"They'll be left so far behind!" he said about the 10yo's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
10U DD just had 2nd Rec ball game last night (also plays TB on weekends). We are treating Rec as somewhere in-between her pitching practices and TB. Our rules state rec can only pitch 2 innings per game. So, after 4 innings of pitching in two games, she has 11 strike outs, given up 1 base hit, and 1 run. Now, I know rec ball is low competition here, and she is about a B level player normally, but being able to succeed against lower talent sometimes fuels her passion to keep playing, and to keep pitching. Plus, she enjoys hitting doubles and triples against slower pitching. The odds are probably against her to get a scholarship for college, but if I can keep her loving and playing the game for as long as possible then I must be doing something right.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
It depends on too many variables to answer....In our county if you do not move to TB even in C level play you will never see a real competition level that can challenge a player AND a Coach to become better. This is not the case everywhere.

Aug 8, 2012
Much has already been said. I think it comes down to the quality of the rec league program. A good rec program with real rules and real expectations can be as good as TB. The rec program in our town is terrible. Doesn't compare to the boys' program where development is important. Watered down gentlemens rules, no real coaching, 100% boring. If a girl has any desire/ability to play at a competitive level, the jump is made sooner than later! After the 1st yr of coach pitch is the norm--usually age 8 or so. That usually allows for 2 seasons at 10u to develop. I think jumping to travel ball into 12U would be really hard and discouraging.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They could come to private lessons. I have a 12 yo, that just moved here. She decided to start softball. She had never touched one, before. So, she isn't going to join a team, she is going to learn how to play. At the first lesson, she put on her sister's soccer cleats and used a ball glove, that I brought. The second lesson, she had bought a ball glove, cleats, a ball, a face mask and a ball bag.

Last summer I had a 16 yo that just wanted general lessons. She came twice a week, she had 2 years of very low rec experience. BUT, she was an athlete. She may her JV team and an 18U TB team.

So, you can catch up. It just takes work and a plan.

I would like for you to see someone swing a bat, that has no idea what to do, but it might appear that I am making fun of her. If I can disguise her identity, I might. Teaching her to hit, may be the biggest challenge.

L

linclon

I agree with 100%! I will add that the earlier a player moves to a team that competes against REAL competition, the shorter the transitional time will be. The cream will rise to the top, always!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would like for you to see someone swing a bat, that has no idea what to do, but it might appear that I am making fun of her. If I can disguise her identity, I might. Teaching her to hit, may be the biggest challenge.

You Tube has a face blur now....I like the comment about giving General Lessons. Thats what I did.Thats my claim to fame. DD played rec. in second grade on a 3rd -5th grade division, and played catcher. They won the championship. I had her take 19 two hr. lessons that fall, thru Christmas. Then started giving her pitching lessons. Bottom line is you can do anything @ anytime with lessons. I agree with you. I even answered a challenge that I could get a 18yr who never pitched, but was a 6' athlete & softballer pitching in 30 days @ Div 3 level on a $2000 bet on here. Never heard back.... :{))

May 18, 2011
rec. ball is rec. ball (B) ball the same.. (A) ball is not for every one work and give it a try !!!!!

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
rec. ball is rec. ball (B) ball the same.. (A) ball is not for every one work and give it a try !!!!!

Don't know if I agree that B ball is rec. There is a huge difference between rec and A ball and I think B ball is a good transition. But I do agree with the poster who wrote that the sooner you make it into A ball the better.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You Tube has a face blur now....I like the comment about giving General Lessons. Thats what I did.Thats my claim to fame. DD played rec. in second grade on a 3rd -5th grade division, and played catcher. They won the championship. I had her take 19 two hr. lessons that fall, thru Christmas. Then started giving her pitching lessons. Bottom line is you can do anything @ anytime with lessons. I agree with you. I even answered a challenge that I could get a 18yr who never pitched, but was a 6' athlete & softballer pitching in 30 days @ Div 3 level on a $2000 bet on here. Never heard back.... :{))

Wow, hey PC I believe eteamz forums are more your style

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad