Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
If you don't make Varisty in our town JV has mandate on equal playing time. So parents with kids that don't have the goods will get administration approved playing time. Not about winning it's about fairness and equitable time for those parents and players.

I once witnessed a coach give away a game and asked if they felt undo pressure to give equal playing time because of school administration or via parents?
This was a yes or no answer. Nothing more or less.
They refused to answer or couldn't and the AD took 14 minutes to answer a direct question.
1st was: I don't tell my coaches what to do or how to coach and parents know not to ask me about playing time.
2nd: It isn't about winning
3rd: unwritten rules for playing time and the schools in this area all do the same thing on equal playing time. LOL... WHAT A JOKE! That's why they never compete or win anything.... P.U.N.C.H.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Interesting observation since the look back rule is essentially forgotten once you get past 10 or 12u and the baserunning shenanigans are put on the shelf. Not sure why HS age travel ball coaches would care.

It's a 14U team, so only the oldest girls are entering HS this year.

The reason why is he doesn't understand the rules. He essentially told the team at the practice I was observing that the ball being in the circle kills the play (I believe "kills the play" is a direct quote, but this was a couple months ago).

I will say that the LBR does come into play during our HS games, or it could. I'd do more to take advantage of other teams/players not understanding it, but most of the umpires I've dealt with around here don't either.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If you don't make Varisty in our town JV has mandate on equal playing time. So parents with kids that don't have the goods will get administration approved playing time. Not about winning it's about fairness and equitable time for those parents and players.

I once witnessed a coach give away a game and asked if they felt undo pressure to give equal playing time because of school administration or via parents?
This was a yes or no answer. Nothing more or less.
They refused to answer or couldn't and the AD took 14 minutes to answer a direct question.
1st was: I don't tell my coaches what to do or how to coach and parents know not to ask me about playing time.
2nd: It isn't about winning
3rd: unwritten rules for playing time and the schools in this area all do the same thing on equal playing time. LOL... WHAT A JOKE! That's why they never compete or win anything.... P.U.N.C.H.

It's too bad they didn't give you a straight answer. That's cowardly.

It's fine that JV has some kind of equal playing time rule. It's JV. It's about developing the players for varsity. At my pre-season meeting, I make it clear that playing time is not equal on the varsity team, but we try to get all the JV players out there because they can't develop if they don't play. It's not equal (I'm not letting everybody pitch or anything), but everybody is going to play in every game. I highly doubt the mandate is for equal playing time as that's virtually impossible to manage.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
H.S. has a requirement to take a physical education class.
Think here its atleast 2 years of p.e.
Wonder if that in itself causes topics in this discussion.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD had to attend PE.

She had to put her gym outfit on then sat in the teachers room and did her homework but she was allowed to play SB. Go figure.

I am sitting in the car waiting for DD, I see her HC following her. This can not be good. I am positive HC is not coming over to tell me what a great player DD is.

HC showed me the note DW had doctor write for DD. It sounded like DD was on her death bed. HC said DD could not play unless it was toned down a little bit. :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Softball fills the p.e. class requirement.
Can select from different sports.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
but then I wouldn't have been able to play basketball during school..what fun is that?
High school has fun choices to try things. Did play field hockey one season. Mehhh think ice hockey would have been better but not an option.

Jun 8, 2016
High school has fun choices to try things. Did play field hockey one season. Mehhh think ice hockey would have been better but not an option.
When I was in MS the PE teacher, who was the HS basketball/baseball coach at a HS in a different town, used to pull me out of class (not sure I remember how we got away with that) to play HORSE during the school day... :LOL:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez