Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I think HS is a bit harder due to limited practice time, academic requirements, and other activities that most travel players shun in favor of softball. Unless you have a core of talented travel players on the HS roster you could be in for a long season.
Not to mention parents. In almost all cases problem parents in travel exist only for at most 1 year as they leave or get cut when the season is over even if the kid is talented. In HS these families can be 4 year problems who infect the roster and bad mouth a coach to the community.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Right, because it is. Significantly easier.

My point is you brought up a bunch of stuff that high school coaches also do. Does every single coach do every single one of those things? No. But I also know not every travel coach does those things.

People feel compelled to defend HS because people like to say some really obviously wrong, unfair things about HS.

There are low talent programs. There are bad coaches. Both are true for travel ball, but because some dads slapped a "travel" label on the team they created so their marginally talented DD could play her favorite position, it automatically is viewed as something superior.
Thats right i brought up a bunch of stuff about travel ball.
And yet no one brought up why or what would make high school harder to coach.
There simply is not an apples to apples to compair.

I also commented theres a mix in either.
Which apparently doesnt matter to some readers!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have coached
D1
Junior college
Womans open
Travel at different ages
and high school.
Worked with rec teams but not coach.

They all have differences!
Can all be either challenging to facilitate or easier pending each players individual abilities and history playing.

Ability to delegate to a good coaching staff, manager makes it much easier.

High schools who have athletic directors who want to grow sports and have open door policy can make high school much better to coach at.
This could be a pro or con to h.s. teams. AD Could micro manage or not listen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom