Can I Make the HS JV Team with Almost No Prior Experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2022
I agree with wconn1979. Although it will take a lot of hard work on your part. it can be done. Find a quality private hitting, throwing and fielding coach with a proven track record of coaching success if you can afford it. Buy a tee, a net and a couple dozen balls and be prepared to hit between 600-750 balls a week off the tee into the hitting net. Your biggest weakness will be game situational awareness. Luckily, there is a lot of college softball being televised right now. Watch as many games as possible and take note of what you see and why. If you can't figure something out, this site is a great resource
We can't really afford a private coach, what do you suggest is the best second option?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We can't really afford a private coach, what do you suggest is the best second option?
I would strongly suggest finding a local Travel Ball team that allows you to practice with them. There should be at least a few around your area. The only reason I know this is because me entire organization is this way. We welcome anyone that wants to practice with us. It's a win-win for everyone. The non-TB players gets the extra training and work they desire and the team gets some possible sub players that they know the capabilities of. Also, some of them try out for the teams in the future or become an expansion team for the organization.

ETA: Another good source of information is Youtube. Look up Mike Candrea and watch everything he has. While there is a lot of good information on Youtube, there's twice as much that is bad. Starting with Candrea will give you a head start on figuring out which is which. Also, whatever you can find on Howard Kobata is again, well worth watching.

This means finding a partner, or several, and doing a whole bunch of work outside of practices (assuming you can find a TB team to practice with) and practicing daily on your own at a local park field or rec ball field doing the above mentioned drills by Candrea, Kobata and whoever they lead you too in your research.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019
This is my first thread of this forum - hi. I'm a freshman in HS and I've just recently discovered my love for softball. Currently I'm apart of a rec team and we kinda suck. This is my first year. 2 months ago I tried out for the JV team and did not make it - however I took it as a learning experience and it gave me more motivation. I want to make the JV team next year but I'm worried that with my minimal experience that I won't make it. Honestly as of right now, my skills are very low. I have a weak throw and have trouble catching the ball in the basket and not my palm. Ever since I discovered the sport and gave it a try I have been extremely passionate about it. I'm willing to work hard and put in many hours of practice. I've reflected long and hard about it, I am willing to make sacrifices to improve my skills and catch up with the rest of my peers. But in the back of my mind I cannot help but think that I basically don't have any experience, so I will never be good as the rest of softball players my age. I feel as if I've started too late. Could I make the JV team even if it were to be my second season?

My DD plays for a HS team that has a 12 player roster for V and JV. One girl that didn't make either team is in a similar situation with experience and became the JV team manager. I think being a team manager might be worth pursuing. Being around the team and coaches would develop familiarity and be an opportunity to show work ethic. Coaches like versitle hard working players.

Jan 8, 2019
Buy a bucket of cheap balls from play it again sports, and a cheapish tee. if you don’t have a net to hit into, take it to your local field, and hit away from home. Try to direct hits to each section of the OF. When you go retrieve the balls, hit them back to home plate with self toss. Do this MANY times.

#1 - Play catch with a parent or friend almost daily! Find one that is more experienced than you if possible. Have them throw you fly balls and grounders, as well.

Get a handball, lacrosse ball, golf ball, racquetball, etc., find a brick wall, and throw it against the wall to practice grounders, line drives, short hops. Use no glove at first. Experiment with how the ball comes off the wall (will teach you to read hops better).

Have a friend or your parents film you doing these things. Then, when you go watch the you tube videos, compare what you look like to what they are doing. Be patient, it takes time! Don’t just watch videos and expect to gain experience!

Do this as much as you can while still having fun. #1 above is the most important for player development (after fun), but coaches will tell you hitting is.

Oct 4, 2018
Find a travel team to join. There is a team for every girl out there -- just have to find the one that's the right level for her to play and improve.

Play catch. Often and always. Even if it's just a tennis ball against the house.

Jan 24, 2020
Be the hardest worker on the team, don't be intimidated. The skills will come with work, but if you are vocal and attentive and do your best to improve with every repetition a good coach will find a way to keep you on the roster.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If there are travel teams in your area reach out and see if they would let you attend practice with them. Several teams around my area allow kids to practice with the team even though they are not on the roster.
This is a great idea! And if you develop enough you may just get an invitation to join down the road. But even if you don't you will gain so much.

Jan 22, 2011
This is a great idea! And if you develop enough you may just get an invitation to join down the road. But even if you don't you will gain so much.
It is. There is a player on my DD's HS team that had no desire to play on a team that traveled more than 2 hours from home, but when my DD's organization ran some free open speed conditioning workouts last fall, the player attended.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad