"They'll be left so far behind!" he said about the 10yo's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
The battle continued again the other night, with neither side wavering a bit.

Side 1: Rec league president/A team coach argues, "For girls hoping to someday play TB, the sooner they stop playing rec, the better." He believes players should leave rec at age 9.

Side 2: Rec/B team coach (myself) contends that leaving rec at ages 11-12 will not prevent a good player from making an A team when she's 13-14 and that it will likely save wear and tear on her body in today's 150+ games/year competitive climate. I think 11 is a good age to make the jump given the softball landscape in our area.

I've been involved in and studying sports most of my life and one truism is that natural talent overcomes experience with limited talent. There will be that transitional season when the experienced players have the advantage, but once the more talented players gain some of the knowledge and decision-making ability and they're all playing a similar number of games, the less talented players won't have any chance to keep up.

The cream is going to rise to the top, no matter how soon the B-level players are moved into A ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is sort of rec. one of the people in charge of the club hates TB with a passion. I was not able to pin her down enough to get the exact reasons but TB for young players is evil.

I agree with you, there is no hurry. On the other side I will support their descision to play 150+ games at 8U.

Jun 12, 2012
I think you make the move when: 1) the family is willing and able to make the commitment required for TB, 2) when DD has the desire to play at that level, and, 3) is no longer challenged by rec ball competition. All three are important factors. For some that maybe 8u, some 12u, some never.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's the issue I have with this. There are good coaches in rec and bad coaches in TB. And vice versa. IMO, you have to look at your DD's ability and evaluate the coaching and competition to determine where she has the greatest potential to improve while ALSO having fun. There is no one answer that is always right. For some, the answer is rec for others its TB, it just depends on the circumstances.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Rec league president/A team coach argues, "For girls hoping to someday play TB, the sooner they stop playing rec, the better." He believes players should leave rec at age 9.

Interesting. Every rec league President I know is trying to INCREASE participation levels, not usher kids out of the league

Aug 22, 2012
one of the people in charge of the club hates TB with a passion
a87.jpg

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The battle continued again the other night, with neither side wavering a bit.

Side 1: Rec league president/A team coach argues, "For girls hoping to someday play TB, the sooner they stop playing rec, the better." He believes players should leave rec at age 9.

What about the girls that don't even start playing until they are 11 or 12?

Side 2: Rec/B team coach (myself) contends that leaving rec at ages 11-12 will not prevent a good player from making an A team when she's 13-14 and that it will likely save wear and tear on her body in today's 150+ games/year competitive climate. I think 11 is a good age to make the jump given the softball landscape in our area.

I mostly agree, but wouldn't put any specific number on a good age to "make the jump". Every player and family is different and should make this decision when the player is ready, weather it is at age 9 or age 15.

I've been involved in and studying sports most of my life and one truism is that natural talent overcomes experience with limited talent. There will be that transitional season when the experienced players have the advantage, but once the more talented players gain some of the knowledge and decision-making ability and they're all playing a similar number of games, the less talented players won't have any chance to keep up.

The cream is going to rise to the top, no matter how soon the B-level players are moved into A ball.

THIS, I agree with 100%! I will add that the earlier a player moves to a team that competes against REAL competition, the shorter the transitional time will be. The cream will rise to the top, always!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008

Let me guess... Rec league president/A team coach coaches 10U...

Apr 6, 2012
I think it, like so many other things, depends on the individual player. You can't make a blanket statement for everyone.

Apr 13, 2010
I know a girl who didn't start playing softball until she was 14 and ended up with a scholarship to a Division 2 school. Sometimes I think we pushed our DD too far too fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1