All High School Coaches Are Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Quoted for truth.
Depends on what “no good” means. If it means you won’t reach your ceiling, I agree. If it means you won’t play at the highest level of your sport, well there are plenty of professional athletes who appear to be darn near uncoachable. Some people are just that gifted…

May 9, 2017
I don’t disagree completely, I think it’s on coaches and parents that allow gifted athletes to get to that point. I’ve seen too many times and been guilty of it myself at letting some things slide because of their natural ability when I was actually doing them a disservice. They needed to be coached not coddled then the issue compounds until reality smacks them in the face. In the case of Antonio Brown and others they never see it.

Jul 28, 2020
There seems to be some high school coaches in this thread. Would you ever tell any of your players this "I don't expect to win with you pitching" or "If you don't hit a home run, you will be sitting". The coaches that said this, didn't say it in jest.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t disagree completely, I think it’s on coaches and parents that allow gifted athletes to get to that point. I’ve seen too many times and been guilty of it myself at letting some things slide because of their natural ability when I was actually doing them a disservice. They needed to be coached not coddled then the issue compounds until reality smacks them in the face. In the case of Antonio Brown and others they never see it.
I grew up with Chris Herren..I know all about what being coddled by everybody does..😕

Jan 22, 2011
And catchers' moms as well. And former catchers make excellent HS softball coaches. Just sayin'.

My DD's best two coaches have been catchers. The one she had the most problems with was a former college softball pitcher. Though the one that spent a month gently encouraging her to come back from quitting softball two months after she quit was a former college baseball pitcher.

My DD prefers coaches who are tough, but fair. Ones that are demanding, because she knows they genuinely want what's best for her and her teammates. She'll even put up with some that are occasionally yellers, as long as it's not over the top. She prefers a coach that will call her out when she makes a mistake, as long she senses they have good intentions.

Jan 22, 2011
I’ve coached, being the most amazing athlete in the world does no good if you’re not coachable. Quoted for truth.

I was looking for the clip on this youtube video at ~2:40 where Sue Enquist talks about how people thought she was a speedy center fielder, when it is really she watched the pitch out of the pitchers hand and cheated towards where the ball was likely to be hit based upon the pitch location.

I haven't watched this video in 5 or 6 years, but I think all parents, players, and coaches need to watch this 10 minute talk. I think I need to watch some more Sue Enquist talks.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I was looking for the clip on this youtube video at ~2:40 where Sue Enquist talks about how people thought she was a speedy center fielder, when it is really she watched the pitch out of the pitchers hand and cheated towards where the ball was likely to bit hit based upon the pitch location.

I haven't watched this video in 5 or 6 years, but I think all parents, players, and coaches need to watch this 10 minute talk. I think I need to watch some more Sue Enquist talks.

Sue Enquist video is great!

Positive Purposeful Presence!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I ask two things of players I coach (no matter what the sport)
Attitude- have a positive attitude and be kind to others
Effort- give all you have all the time, compete

If they can do those two things then we should be able to accept the outcome. If we get beat then we must work harder to improve our skills. And IF those request are met then no need to yell and scream.

Full disclosure: This was not my philosophy 25 years ago. I was a jerk coach some would say a$$.
I grew up. I recently had an umpire that worked games for us when I was younger at a different school and he was laughing with some of our current players about how I was. He told them, they would not have liked to play for me back then. Then gave me a compliment about how he would let his daughter play for me now.

I will never say I am the best coach or I know all. I will say that I work hard to help our players the best I can.
I sleep well at night when it comes to my coaching ability.

Jun 11, 2012
DD had one coach the first three years of HS and a different coach senior year which is the year they won states.
The first coach had been there for upwards of 10 years, the team always went fairly deep into playoffs and for a long time he was a great coach. But the summer before his last season he was in a car accident and ended up with a pretty severe concussion and was never quite the same. The mood swings were crazy, he’d be joking and laughing one second and grabbing a player by the mask of her helmet and yanking her over to him the next. He started saying really inappropriate things to the players and screaming at them in front of the whole team for small things. He ended up getting fired and divorced all st the same time. Honestly it was really hard to watch the coach that the girls loved and respected turn into someone they were frightened of.
The second coach was a former D2 player who grew up in our small town. She was tough but a great coach but she only stayed 2 seasons before she left for nursing school.
Current coach leaves a bit to be desired from what I’ve heard but she’s in her 3rd season with a team that does great in league play but doesn’t go far after that.

Jan 25, 2022
I was on the board of a rec league for 10 years, basically ran it for 6 years. My DD and I thought this movie was hilarious. First time my wife saw it she got mad and walked out of the room..... because it was too close to reality.

I came across this movie last year. Shortly after, I bought Hairy Ketchup bottles shirts for a few of us to wear to games. We had a lot of fun with it. Now we save them for special occasions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee