All High School Coaches Are Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
As a high school softball coach that has coached rec and travel ball as well as other sports, I find the assumption all HS coaches are old gym teachers that just do it for the money humorous. I also feel the thoughts of some of the parents and TB coaches on this forum demeaning. I agree that some HS coaches are not qualified and I have coached against them. I have also seen TB coaches that were not qualified to babysit let alone coach. There is a story I would like to share that shows the other side of this great all knowing opinion that we all are incompetent.

My first year as the coach at a new school we had a travel ball player in our program that was a freshman. We were able to practice for a week and a half before our first game with a week of spring break that we could not practice. After the first game that we did lose 5-3 to a conference rival her parents meet me the next day after practice because she did not play. The person in front of her was better than her and I was giving a senior a chance to gain playing time at another position. We as a staff had already decided we would give her a chance to play in the next game. Dad is livid after one game. Says that her goal was to be all conference all four years and now she can not do that because she missed one game. (Nice priorities of a TB player to put individual before team.) He also informed us that she had a letter from Michigan and other D1 coaches on his phone.

We make is through her freshman season with a couple more "ME" incidents. Then sophomore year we bench her and a teammate for telling other players not to listen to the coaches. So this all knowing TB player and her parents decide she will quit HS softball. The teammate did as well then later returned to admit she was wrong and that she would like another chance, which we gave her. Before leaving the team TB mom had to make sure the whole coaching staff knew how good her daughter was and that she was going to be great. She continued to play TB (her team was a local team that never left the 5 state area.) Mom and dad also made the "always advised" trip to the AD to tell them how incompetent we are. (The AD later added me to his coaching staff for a different sport the next season.) The AD listened and then thanked them for their opinion. When asked what he was going to do about it he told them "nothing." It sound like you have a personal issue and he was not getting taking sides. Told them our staff was doing a great job with the talent we had.

Said player does go to a small college that was in their third year of softball exitance two states away. Earlier this year I was told how she went there and bad mouthed the coach to other players they relayed that info to coach and this player never made it through fall season. She now a proud student at our local state college.

Sorry for this being long winded but wanted to show one situation that was caused by a TB player with a big ego and parents with bigger rose colored glasses. Not all HS coaches are bad coaches, just saying.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
A HS coach friend of mine has told me a story about parents that have a kid which had never played travel ball and had spent 2 years on JV with a less than .100 batting average. The parents stormed up to the coach holding their phone cameras demanding to know why their kid isn't on varsity. The parents were angry because the coach didn't even tell her she wasn't on Varsity.

She went to JV practices and never practiced with the Varsity team.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't believe anyone here ever said that "all" HS coaches are bad, but plenty here have bad experiences. The entrenched coach at DD's HS is probably typical...little more than a user of talent that other people developed. He knows the game and his decisions are usually solid, but his personality is a classic "grumpy old man" that alienates players and parents alike. His teams are never bad, but given the depth of ready-made talent available, he underachieves. Not everyone who could play chooses too because they don't want to deal with him. There are several parents in the stands each year who could do at least as well. Fortunately for him, his assistants are well liked and carry him along. If one of them gets the HC job after grumps finally retires, the program will likely soar.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Sadly, I have that retired gym teacher coaching my two daughters at the HS level. He's not good, but that doesn't mean all HS coaches are bad. In fact, we like our AC. We have a former D2 coach two towns over doing a bang-up job with a weak roster because he's got them playing above their ability.

Our coach scheduled a non-league game against a very weak opponent today that we beat 22-1. We scored 11 runs in the first inning, but when it became clear the other team could not get outs, he refused to lay off the gas. He had girls taking every extra base until they got 22 runs. I felt horrible for the other team's players. The AC would tell them to stay put on a wild pitch, and the HC would yell at them for not going.

Unfortunately, mine is not a good coach.

May 20, 2015
I'm a physical educator (Jim who?)......I went to one of the best colleges in the world for my field, and I am pretty decent at breaking down skills & actually teaching, as well as analyzing & refining performance.....because, well, that's what I do

so far I have coached varsity football, varsity wrestling, middle school track, middle school cross country (multiple conference championships in both), travel softball (6 state titles, 6 of my core group headed to play in college, middle school softball (two conference titles), and HS softball (state title last year)

so i guess that axiom only applies to guys named Jim, and not physical educators? ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a physical educator (Jim who?)......I went to one of the best colleges in the world for my field, and I am pretty decent at breaking down skills & actually teaching, as well as analyzing & refining performance.....because, well, that's what I do

so far I have coached varsity football, varsity wrestling, middle school track, middle school cross country (multiple conference championships in both), travel softball (6 state titles, 6 of my core group headed to play in college, middle school softball (two conference titles), and HS softball (state title last year)

so i guess that axiom only applies to guys named Jim, and not physical educators? ;)

Congrats on your success. That said, having success doesn't exclude you from being an a-hole. I'm not saying you are, just that they aren't mutually exclusive ;)

Aug 25, 2019

you won two conference titles in middle school? DDs middle school doesn't keep records of standings, none of the middle schools keep standings, neither do JV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom