Can I Make the HS JV Team with Almost No Prior Experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Wow! Wish I could find a student like this!

Softball coaching is my main hobby. Been doing this almost 25 years. Coached TB but mainly assistant coach at one of our local HS.

It is very rewarding helping players develop their skills and the exercise I get helps keep me from aging too fast. Off-season in the summer doesn’t offer much opportunity to coach unless I find a TB team. Which doesn’t interest me.

All volunteer by the way.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Honestly, if you put in the fundamentals and practice/work like you study for school. Go for it!

Get a tee, and someone to front toss to you...Review basic mechanics and go! Same for fielding and throwing, simple mechanic reviews so they are done properly and go from there. DON'T over think or try to add 300 fixes, baby steps and enjoy the journey!

Now go be a badass!(y)(y)

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
This is my first thread of this forum - hi. I'm a freshman in HS and I've just recently discovered my love for softball. Currently I'm apart of a rec team and we kinda suck. This is my first year. 2 months ago I tried out for the JV team and did not make it - however I took it as a learning experience and it gave me more motivation. I want to make the JV team next year but I'm worried that with my minimal experience that I won't make it. Honestly as of right now, my skills are very low. I have a weak throw and have trouble catching the ball in the basket and not my palm. Ever since I discovered the sport and gave it a try I have been extremely passionate about it. I'm willing to work hard and put in many hours of practice. I've reflected long and hard about it, I am willing to make sacrifices to improve my skills and catch up with the rest of my peers. But in the back of my mind I cannot help but think that I basically don't have any experience, so I will never be good as the rest of softball players my age. I feel as if I've started too late. Could I make the JV team even if it were to be my second season?
I have not read the replies, so I apologize if I repeat what others may have said.

I coach JV High School. If your school has a large turnout for tryouts, your school is lucky. Most schools can struggle to put together two rosters to cover Varsity and JV. Like "Rec Ball", High School will have a wide range of skill levels. The top players will make the Varsity team, leaving the underclassmen, and less skilled for the JV coach to pick from. JV should be played competitively, but also with a strong emphasis on developing the players, and getting them ready to compete for a varsity position next season.

I have players who struggle to catch and throw and are new or only played a few seasons in rec on my team. I also have players who have many seasons of experience, and still struggle in other aspects of the game, such as base running and hitting. It's my job to help them improve their abilities, build on their strength and confidence and allow them to compete for playing time. IMO, all players on JV should get playing time. There are many ways to get players in a game, pinch-running, DH, pinch-hitting, DPFlex for no position time. Players won't improve or enjoy the journey without game time. Big games, tournaments, playoffs, I will most likely stay with my starting nice unless the game situation allows for smart substitutions.

Two of my "weakest" players this season both won coaches' awards for their efforts and attitudes. And one of my rookies, who was a 1st-year player, picked up the game as the season came along and won a starting position in the outfield and also played 1st base for me.

I like the underdog who fights. My advice to you is don't give up. You sound like a great kid. Go talk with the coach, and tell him/her about what you have been doing to improve your game. Let the coach know that you are willing to work hard and EARN a spot and compete for game time. Show the coach your passion for how you want to be a part of the team, and let the coach know you will give 100% at practice.

If a "new to the sport" player approached me like that, I would listen to what they had to say and set some standards and expectations for the player. Like, no promises of playtime, show up to practice, put some time in on your own, give me your best, and let's see where it leads. If they were willing to agree to those standards, I would find a spot on the roster. It's JV, not college. I would look at it as a goal, and challenge for me, to see what kind of player I can help develop you into.

Good luck young lady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad