All High School Coaches Are Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Pretty sure it is in the title of the thread.....
Hahahaha...... Ed....................................... the author of the thread is a HS coach and created the title in a sarcastic manner.

Lol.......... So quick to respond he didn't even read the posts.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
What if I am not an old gym teacher but rather an old history teacher? What if I now volunteer but when I did get paid, I put most of the money I made back into the program by buying hitting cages, turf hitting mats, pitching mounds (baseball), ... The fact is that minds on this subject are already made up. Most of the time XXXXXXXXX I almost went there. LOL Hey from an old worn-out, has-been who never was coach, you all have a great day.
I have no idea. It was a joke.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So essentially if you win "state", you are winning "half the state" championship or maybe "one third of the state" championship. IESA seems to be the organization for the rest of the state.
Most of Chicagoland doesn't participate in the "state" middle school championship. They have a conference championship and call it a season.

Nov 9, 2021
I was on the board of a rec league for 10 years, basically ran it for 6 years. My DD and I thought this movie was hilarious. First time my wife saw it she got mad and walked out of the room..... because it was too close to reality.

Watched the movie this week based on this recommendation. Thank you very much. I laughed the entire time, even if parts of it should have made me cry because it was so realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Hahahaha...... Ed....................................... the author of the thread is a HS coach and created the title in a sarcastic manner.

Lol.......... So quick to respond he didn't even read the posts.
Hrmm, funny how I could quote and respond to your earlier post if I hadn't read the entire thread. Yes, I am aware of how the post started. But, iirc you are the one who wanted a discussion based on facts and not just feelings/observations/anecdotes. The fact is that the title of the thread is the source of who said all HS coaches are bad. Just pointing that out for when the thread starts to go a bit sideways.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
As a high school softball coach that has coached rec and travel ball as well as other sports, I find the assumption all HS coaches are old gym teachers that just do it for the money humorous. I also feel the thoughts of some of the parents and TB coaches on this forum demeaning. I agree that some HS coaches are not qualified and I have coached against them. I have also seen TB coaches that were not qualified to babysit let alone coach. There is a story I would like to share that shows the other side of this great all knowing opinion that we all are incompetent.

My first year as the coach at a new school we had a travel ball player in our program that was a freshman. We were able to practice for a week and a half before our first game with a week of spring break that we could not practice. After the first game that we did lose 5-3 to a conference rival her parents meet me the next day after practice because she did not play. The person in front of her was better than her and I was giving a senior a chance to gain playing time at another position. We as a staff had already decided we would give her a chance to play in the next game. Dad is livid after one game. Says that her goal was to be all conference all four years and now she can not do that because she missed one game. (Nice priorities of a TB player to put individual before team.) He also informed us that she had a letter from Michigan and other D1 coaches on his phone.

We make is through her freshman season with a couple more "ME" incidents. Then sophomore year we bench her and a teammate for telling other players not to listen to the coaches. So this all knowing TB player and her parents decide she will quit HS softball. The teammate did as well then later returned to admit she was wrong and that she would like another chance, which we gave her. Before leaving the team TB mom had to make sure the whole coaching staff knew how good her daughter was and that she was going to be great. She continued to play TB (her team was a local team that never left the 5 state area.) Mom and dad also made the "always advised" trip to the AD to tell them how incompetent we are. (The AD later added me to his coaching staff for a different sport the next season.) The AD listened and then thanked them for their opinion. When asked what he was going to do about it he told them "nothing." It sound like you have a personal issue and he was not getting taking sides. Told them our staff was doing a great job with the talent we had.

Said player does go to a small college that was in their third year of softball exitance two states away. Earlier this year I was told how she went there and bad mouthed the coach to other players they relayed that info to coach and this player never made it through fall season. She now a proud student at our local state college.

Sorry for this being long winded but wanted to show one situation that was caused by a TB player with a big ego and parents with bigger rose colored glasses. Not all HS coaches are bad coaches, just saying.
This is a very common story. Thank you for telling yours so well. I've Also seen TB coaches of 18 u teams who were unqualified to coach 8u. Many HS coaches were very good college players and now are good coaches. It's the same in all sports. Too many people assume that the "for profit" coaches somehow acquire secret knowledge of their sports that is unavailable to HS coaches. It just isn't so.

May 9, 2017
As a high school softball coach that has coached rec and travel ball as well as other sports, I find the assumption all HS coaches are old gym teachers that just do it for the money humorous. I also feel the thoughts of some of the parents and TB coaches on this forum demeaning. I agree that some HS coaches are not qualified and I have coached against them. I have also seen TB coaches that were not qualified to babysit let alone coach. There is a story I would like to share that shows the other side of this great all knowing opinion that we all are incompetent.

My first year as the coach at a new school we had a travel ball player in our program that was a freshman. We were able to practice for a week and a half before our first game with a week of spring break that we could not practice. After the first game that we did lose 5-3 to a conference rival her parents meet me the next day after practice because she did not play. The person in front of her was better than her and I was giving a senior a chance to gain playing time at another position. We as a staff had already decided we would give her a chance to play in the next game. Dad is livid after one game. Says that her goal was to be all conference all four years and now she can not do that because she missed one game. (Nice priorities of a TB player to put individual before team.) He also informed us that she had a letter from Michigan and other D1 coaches on his phone.

We make is through her freshman season with a couple more "ME" incidents. Then sophomore year we bench her and a teammate for telling other players not to listen to the coaches. So this all knowing TB player and her parents decide she will quit HS softball. The teammate did as well then later returned to admit she was wrong and that she would like another chance, which we gave her. Before leaving the team TB mom had to make sure the whole coaching staff knew how good her daughter was and that she was going to be great. She continued to play TB (her team was a local team that never left the 5 state area.) Mom and dad also made the "always advised" trip to the AD to tell them how incompetent we are. (The AD later added me to his coaching staff for a different sport the next season.) The AD listened and then thanked them for their opinion. When asked what he was going to do about it he told them "nothing." It sound like you have a personal issue and he was not getting taking sides. Told them our staff was doing a great job with the talent we had.

Said player does go to a small college that was in their third year of softball exitance two states away. Earlier this year I was told how she went there and bad mouthed the coach to other players they relayed that info to coach and this player never made it through fall season. She now a proud student at our local state college.

Sorry for this being long winded but wanted to show one situation that was caused by a TB player with a big ego and parents with bigger rose colored glasses. Not all HS coaches are bad coaches, just saying.
I get it man. My kid was on a TB very briefly because they needed a catcher but the coaching was nonexistent plus he got an attitude about attendance even though I told him she was already on a rec team I was coaching. I get the parent part too. I got thrown into coaching and it was either I coach or 12 kids didn’t get to play. First game, third inning I’m getting chewed out because her kid sat the first and third inning but I was bluntly honest. I said ma’am I have no clue what happened because I wasn’t nowhere prepared for game day and the speed everything happens and keeping up with all of it. I’ll close with this and I’ve told most of the players I’ve coached, being the most amazing athlete in the world does no good if you’re not coachable.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I get it man. My kid was on a TB very briefly because they needed a catcher but the coaching was nonexistent plus he got an attitude about attendance even though I told him she was already on a rec team I was coaching. I get the parent part too. I got thrown into coaching and it was either I coach or 12 kids didn’t get to play. First game, third inning I’m getting chewed out because her kid sat the first and third inning but I was bluntly honest. I said ma’am I have no clue what happened because I wasn’t nowhere prepared for game day and the speed everything happens and keeping up with all of it. I’ll close with this and I’ve told most of the players I’ve coached, being the most amazing athlete in the world does no good if you’re not coachable.
Quoted for truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802