Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I was in MS the PE teacher, who was the HS basketball/baseball coach at a HS in a different town, used to pull me out of class (not sure I remember how we got away with that) to play HORSE during the school day... :LOL:
Lol....was that a spelling lesson?
...maybe why you 'got away with it'?

Jun 8, 2016
Lol....was that a spelling lesson?
...maybe why you 'got away with it'?
No idea..admittedly school was easy for me till maybe my Senior year in HS (when I got to take Calculus and Physics) so the teacher was probably happy to get my bored-looking arse out of their classroom.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, it seems to me that I have been so fortunate to get to teach where I taught. When my dd went to HS, she took Athletic PE. That was some pretty intense stuff and included the Bigger Faster Stronger program. Athletes in Athletic PE had to set benchmark weights and times in agility and had to work to improve those times and lifts. Every measurement was kept on a computer where both students and the teacher kept track. Athletic PE was a privilege and you could be removed from the class. On game days for athletics they were given a light workout which was the equivalent of any "easy day" or "rest day" in lifting.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I’ve seen many HS coaches who could (some do) successfully coach TB. I’ve seen a few TB coaches who would struggle (some have) with HS ball.

HS coaches don’t have the liberty of picking pre-trained, skilled players. The player either lives in your district or they don’t. Some HS have great feeder organizations in their district.

Many TB coaches have standout DD on their teams. That may account for their reputation as a great coach. That shouldn’t mean that their HS coach shouldn’t be listened to.
I agree. It's a lot easier to coach a TB team than a school team, and too many of them think they are a lot better than they are.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I agree. It's a lot easier to coach a TB team than a school team, and too many of them think they are a lot better than they are.
Hmmm?
Tb coach has to
Find a field. Go to city.
Pay for field permits.
This can need to be done throughout the season/year.
Post for tryouts.
Hold tryouts to even have a team.
Build an ongoing schedule. Including traveling and showcasing.
Collect fee's.
Pay in advance for schedule/ tourneys/friendlies. Sometimes out of their own pocket to begin with.
Get that ongoing schedule updated and communicated to families.
By building a website for team.
Hold and plan practices.
Deal with parents shuffling around.
Get uniforms ordered & paid for.
Plus all the same game planning coaching stuff.
Have to disagree coaching tb is easier. While a lot both coaches do is the same. There can be more to do as a tb coach.
If anything high school itself is the feeder of players for h.s. teams.
Most already have a field or have priority on a city field.
H.s. pretty much has a set schedule assigned. Accept for a few tournys to sign up for.
Plus much shorter time frame in the schedule seasonally.

Toward the debate about
'well h.s. coaches have to work with what they get'
Yep! Same thing for every travel team!

Yes! I believe thinking through the decisions we are going to make a commitment to are important!

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Hmmm?
Tb coach has to
Find a field. Go to city.
Pay for field permits.
This can need to be done throughout the season/year.
Post for tryouts.
Hold tryouts to even have a team.
Build an ongoing schedule. Including traveling and showcasing.
Collect fee's.
Pay in advance for schedule/ tourneys/friendlies. Sometimes out of their own pocket to begin with.
Get that ongoing schedule updated and communicated to families.
By building a website for team.
Hold and plan practices.
Deal with parents shuffling around.
Get uniforms ordered & paid for.
Plus all the same game planning coaching stuff.
Have to disagree coaching tb is easier. While a lot both coaches do is the same. There can be more to do as a tb coach.
If anything high school itself is the feeder of players for h.s. teams.
Most already have a field or have priority on a city field.
H.s. pretty much has a set schedule assigned. Accept for a few tournys to sign up for.
Plus much shorter time frame in the schedule seasonally.

Toward the debate about
'well h.s. coaches have to work with what they get'
Yep! Same thing for every travel team!

Yes! I believe thinking through the decisions we are going to make a commitment to are important!

If you are a stand alone team not affiliated with any org, you have an argument. Lots of un-field related work to be done. But if you belong to an org at least the one in town I previously coached with:

They have a practice field which is shared- times are selected by coaches.
Uniform ordering is done through the org.
tryouts are done through the org unless you have additional ones.
The org collects the Fees.
You are given $xxxx dollars to be used as you prefer (tourn, league,or both)
winter facility - The org handles this. Once acquired its handled the same as a practice field.

I have also seen TB coaches with little knowledge in softball who rescue teams because the previous HC quit and no one wanted to do it. What a mess.

I have done both and IN GENERAL HS is tougher to be successful because we cannot practice until the season is a week away. Whereas TB can practice any time.

For the sake of argument which are there more of good HS teams or good TB teams? And I mean good fundamentally not good because they play a weak schedule.

Jun 8, 2016
My Dad is tougher than your Dad

sh5s9m1.gif

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If you are a stand alone team not affiliated with any org, you have an argument. Lots of un-field related work to be done. But if you belong to an org at least the one in town I previously coached with:

They have a practice field which is shared- times are selected by coaches.
Uniform ordering is done through the org.
tryouts are done through the org unless you have additional ones.
The org collects the Fees.
You are given $xxxx dollars to be used as you prefer (tourn, league,or both)
winter facility - The org handles this. Once acquired its handled the same as a practice field.

I have also seen TB coaches with little knowledge in softball who rescue teams because the previous HC quit and no one wanted to do it. What a mess.

I have done both and IN GENERAL HS is tougher to be successful because we cannot practice until the season is a week away. Whereas TB can practice any time.

For the sake of argument which are there more of good HS teams or good TB teams? And I mean good fundamentally not good because they play a weak schedule.
Not the case with vast majority of tb teams (can speak of in calif.)
Other than an org already has uniforms set up with logos to purchase.
Everything else up to the tb coach.

Finding fields may be hardest here in so cal regardless of covid year.

Also think its pretty darn petty for any 'in defense of conversations' compairing coaching ability.
Ther are good, bad, ugly and beginners mixed in everywhere.