These kids are good..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
These twitter posts are the "new" college camp posts with college coaches. Remember those?

I do remember those - and never quite understood it. You’d see the same player posing with coaches at various different camps. I’d usually see these posted more by the orgs the player belonged to vs the player posting it themselves, though. I also remember seeing pics with college coaches during unofficial visits before the recruiting rule change.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am a bit skeptical that posting tee work or short hop drills will get you on anybodies radar but if it works more power to them.

I was interested in this thread when I saw your original post. And I have thought the same things but my DD is currently in this same social media phase. She doesn’t like it at all and would rather not but it seems to be the way of the beast at this point.

My question to you is, how is this any different than the Skills Videos that girls have needed to do and have seemed to be a requirement as well? Just not on a specific social media platform.

That video is essentially one long post of the same thing that you see many times on the Tweeter. The additional ‘hard work’ posts seems to show how much effort you are putting in. Some of my DDs prior coaches have asked for their training schedule to verify that they were doing things outside of normal team practices. I guess I see this as a way to create the informal Skills Video on top of showing how much work you are putting in. I have always wondered why game video wasn’t used in skills videos but that’s prolly because people were rarely videoing them. Until now with Covid it has basically required it. So I would expect to see game video more in the skills video. More like a highlight reel. And if kids aren’t good enough all they will be able to show is the tee swing practice catch videos. Just my 2 pennies.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I guess my question is unless you are a super stud and could literally post anything and not have it effect your recruiting, is the endless “look at me” behavior actually detrimental? The way society is pretty numb to the whole thing by this point, the answer is probably no..
Hmmm detrimental?
Perhaps if there is a perceived
personality flaw?
Like looking back for any other hidden social media gems.

In the BIG scheme of things....
Emails became too flooded to respond to everything.
Probably got to be too many they cant/dont/wont read everything.
Theres no way to watch all videos and the
MASS OF ON-LINE STUFF.
which has turned into a huge pile....not really worth binge watching.
That said
There are coaches who like to see players apply effort.
Possibly a few on line demonstrations says
'i'm doing what i can to earn your attention'

imo
Connecting by directly going to college camps is best thing! Even phone calls.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Sometimes recruiting is simply “catching lightning in a bottle.” You sometimes never know when the “big break” might be. If a coach happens to see someone’s video and it causes just one coach to reach out to that kid during these times, that‘s a huge win.

We had a girl on our team who blasted a HR down at D9 a few years ago just as a D1 coach happened to be walking by. This caused that same coach to sit and watch the rest of our game and our coach talked to her afterward. This player is playing for that program now. That program was not on this player’s list.

Yes, it’s not the typical way that the process works but sometimes you just get lucky, be it online or in-person.

Jun 8, 2016
My question to you is, how is this any different than the Skills Videos that girls have needed to do and have seemed to be a requirement as well? Just not on a specific social media platform.
If I was coaching I wouldn't put much stock in skills videos like that anyway, in particular for hitting. Fielding is a bit different, good actions, fluidity of movement, etc. typically transfers nicely to game settings. I can usually tell if a kid is a good MI by watching how they move in between innings.

However like you said, I guess it is just the way it is now and if coaches don't mind then I guess it is fine. I just need to get out of the "get of my lawn" world and get with the times..be on the lookout for tweets from @Marcela_2028_mydadisanass in the future...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I was interested in this thread when I saw your original post. And I have thought the same things but my DD is currently in this same social media phase. She doesn’t like it at all and would rather not but it seems to be the way of the beast at this point.

Has a college coach shared that with you, your DD or any of her coaches? Have they asked for social media posts? I haven't heard that. I think its more of one girl sees another do it and jumps on the trend.
I know for a fact that just because a coach "likes" a video doesn't mean that they have interest. Watched it play out this past fall with 2 kids who I know were expecting calls and offers from schools based on "likes" on social media. Both were saddened when the schools liking their posts didn't call. IMO email is still the best way to communicate with coaches. We paid $20/month for a service called Capitan U. DD would send her emails through that site. It would email her back if the coach read her email. She was also able to post videos and set up a profile. The site would let her know which coaches viewed her profile and watched her videos.
When Sept 1st came around the coaches opening her emails called. Just our experience.

Jun 8, 2016
Has a college coach shared that with you, your DD or any of her coaches? Have they asked for social media posts? I haven't heard that. I think its more of one girl sees another do it and jumps on the trend.
I know for a fact that just because a coach "likes" a video doesn't mean that they have interest. Watched it play out this past fall with 2 kids who I know were expecting calls and offers from schools based on "likes" on social media. Both were saddened when the schools liking their posts didn't call. IMO email is still the best way to communicate with coaches. We paid $20/month for a service called Capitan U. DD would send her emails through that site. It would email her back if the coach read her email. She was also able to post videos and set up a profile. The site would let her know which coaches viewed her profile and watched her videos.
When Sept 1st came around the coaches opening her emails called. Just our experience.
Yes I agree that something more personal like e-mail is probably better. That said social media is easy so as long as it doesn't hurt a player, what is the harm? Personally I will have a hard time with my kid plastering herself all over social media but if it isn't going to hurt her... 🤷‍♂️ Of course at the moment we don't even allow her to have a cellphone so..:p

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Personally I will have a hard time with my kid plastering herself all over social media but if it isn't going to hurt her... 🤷‍♂️ Of course at the moment we don't even allow her to have a cellphone so..:p
What Really? You have a hitting thread here dedicated to her. Videos and all.

Jun 8, 2016
What Really? You have a hitting thread here dedicated to her. Videos and all.
Not the same thing. I am looking for critique, not praise. It isn't the idea of people seeing her, it is the idea of "look at how great I am" sort of thing..I hate that but whatever.

Somebody piss in your Cheerios the last two days?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1