What is unacceptable umpiring behavior (as a fellow umpire)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2021
"Good" sports officials are becoming rare. Below average/average is the norm. There is a difference between just not being good at officiating and unacceptable behavior. I have worn many hats over the years. Supporting GOOD officials is a must from all stake holders.

A GOOD Official will be impartial, non-vindictive, interested in continuing education, and willing to "Get the Call Right". Good officiating makes for good games.

Arrogance, ego, laziness have no place. Confidence and team work does. This past season of middle school basketball was pretty bad on the officials side. Pretty sure I saw all the bad traits in one short season. From below minimum competence in skills, high bad call rate, to outright bias toward a certain team.

Bad behavior gets you noticed by SafeSport, ethics departments, injury lawyers, etc.

Good luck this spring/summer season.
Curious, are you an active sports official, coach, or otherwise? "Good" sports officials becoming rare & Below average/average is norm sounds not only bias but is not a fair assessment. The general and bottom-line realization of current & negative sports officiating attrition is something that deserves more attention.
Not sure that you'll be making the same comment(s) when there won't be enough of we officials to cover the demand of games and thus canceling games at all levels and sports across the board.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@SeniorUmpireTim and @MoJo I will agree that as the number of officials falls the fact is that officials get scheduled to work above there ability more often. This does not mean they are "bad" officials, just under-prepared. It is a hard thing to deal with from all of the stakeholders, but we need to work with them that much more, keep them in the game and be a bit more tolerant of poor performance, while making sure we step up unbiased reviews and continued education on rules, mechanics and game management skills.

I do agree that unacceptable behavior is still to be addressed in as prompt and firm a manner as is proper (meaning not during the contest and not from the affected coach). The partner(s), assignors, ADs, local association officers etc. need to have a frank and firm discussion. I think it is not so much the number of bad actors, but a much higher sensitivity to actions that are inappropriate.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
?? Punch out is standard??
Imagine that... not certain have seen that be different all the time 🤔

Yes the CCA manual has both 'Sell Out' and 'Punch Out' mechanics for close outs.

There is not a signal to indicate ball four (unless the batter is hit by the pitch and it was not in the batters box)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Interesting, didn't know that.
Just spitballing here; maybe ball four should have some added mechanic in its call. Just watched another game where the batter had a long at-bat fouling off pitches, then tried to take her base on ball three. Runner on first jogged half-way to 2nd, then sprinted the rest of the way. Maybe the mistake was intentional, maybe not. Either way a well-pronounced ball four call could help clarify those situations.
Not my job as the official; I am not a commentator or stopping a what is still a live ball so I am not killing the play or effecting it. If the offense throws down or something, that is their fault - it up to the players to know the count. If they don't know or are unsure, I am always happy to share if asked.

However if the offensive team is clearly doing this intentionally (either by reputation or repetition) I will happily eject the player and the coach. We had a HS coach doing that here - but not for long. It got around quick and it was shut down quickly.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok, just happened today. Batter gets plugged in the hip. Ump hollers "everybody, take a knee."
My DD was on deck. Took a knee, but as the batter started down to 1st base, she stood up and was about to pick up previous batters bat and the ump says, "I said take a knee."
This is 14u ball. So everybody had to wait until he waddled over to 1st base to make sure she was ok. Pitcher was throwing 50.

Feb 15, 2017
Ok, just happened today. Batter gets plugged in the hip. Ump hollers "everybody, take a knee."
My DD was on deck. Took a knee, but as the batter started down to 1st base, she stood up and was about to pick up previous batters bat and the ump says, "I said take a knee."
This is 14u ball. So everybody had to wait until he waddled over to 1st base to make sure she was ok. Pitcher was throwing 50.
I hate the whole take a knee in softball. And I don't think there is a ruleset that let's the umpire tell a any player what position to assume.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 28, 2019
I love when bad umpires totally pat themselves on their back and let people know how they call high school or whatever higher level games in an effort to build their own credibility of their performance. Sorry dude, it actually scares me that you are this bad and umpire up on higher levels!

PS THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING SAID OR POSTED IN THIS THREAD. Just venting about some bad umpiring our there. :ROFLMAO:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles