What is unacceptable umpiring behavior (as a fellow umpire)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
If the umpires are hustling and in position that is all we can ask. If they are on the play and miss it oh well......

I will take the ump hustling and aiding the pace of the game anytime. Missed calls happen at every level.

Jul 2, 2013
  • Throwing your partner official under the bus when you are working with them (which is an effort to totally protect yourself)

I have a follow up question on this one. I agree that throwing a partner under the bus is never the right answer, but how do you (as an umpire) handle having an incompetent partner? For instance, how would you handle a partner that wasn't giving full effort during a game and was slow to get into position which caused missed calls?

I ask because I've seen this a few times over the years where one ump is on top of his game and the other is severely lacking. I've seen it handled different ways by the better ump.

Feb 15, 2017
I’m a fan of replay.
I'm a fan of replay when it is done in a quick and efficient manner and love it when you can hear what the umpires say when they've made a decision.

One thing would help would be mandatory camera count and camera angle.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have a follow up question on this one. I agree that throwing a partner under the bus is never the right answer, but how do you (as an umpire) handle having an incompetent partner? For instance, how would you handle a partner that wasn't giving full effort during a game and was slow to get into position which caused missed calls?

I ask because I've seen this a few times over the years where one ump is on top of his game and the other is severely lacking. I've seen it handled different ways by the better ump.
Very fair question... and these are first thoughts because I don't get a lot of this; in general I am working games with good partners or working with partners where I am mentoring/teaching umpires who are genuinely trying to get better. But travel weekends, it happens on occasion.

Incompetent (but willing to learn) is different to unprofessional (and not). It is an important distinction. I can work with the former to help get them closer to competent. I am more than happy to work with those willing to put the effort in; even if they are not great umpires (yet or ever). Also 'having a bad day' doesn't make you an incompetent umpire - sometimes you are going to have a rough one - even the best umpires have rough days.

So for an actual incompetent, unprofessional, not-trying official: After the game, if that is who they are; I just wont work with them ever again. Simple as that; my assignors/UICs/directors know I will turn games down if they assign anyone like this with me and I am very clear about it because I will tell them straight out "Don't put me with S again - that is not acceptable and you know that". And that may be a little arrogant, but they WANT me doing their games and S and company - well they are going to get the bottom of the barrel games 99% of the time (sorry for those playing in the bottom of the barrel - you have every right to be mad at S.

During the game itself:
First - in general I make a conscious effort to work even harder to make sure I am doing my job; For the rare ones that really are just not trying (not as many as you think), you hustling really P***##@ them off. It may be petty in some ways, but I will shame someone who is making me look bad because they don't want to make the effort by being extra-professional.
Much the same if they actually really are trying, but they are injured/exhausted, I will move to make sure I am covering a little more for them - get to third to make the call that technically should have been theirs but they just couldn't physically get there or forgot to move or whatever - you are meant to look out for your fellow umpire and I am Ok doing it if they are trying.
Note: I don't take their calls or 'over rule' them or anything like that; that is inappropriate. I don't comment on their calls or what I say or anything like that; that is not for me to do either during the game.

I will then handle everything that needs to be handled between innings and away from the coaches players... and very quietly.
If it is grossly unprofessional; then I will be pretty frank about it. I once had a partner who took calls on his phone during the game and another who I swear ate a whole meal during the first inning from his pocket. You better have a damn good reason, because you can't do that; and if I see it happens again you wont be out here long. (I had a partner on his phone once, but his wife was 9mths pregnant so I was good with him looking at his phone for example). I have been known to have someone call over the UIC/TD for me so I can quietly say something ("I talked to S about being on his phone and he is still doing it") and let them handle it.

Otherwise, it is a quiet "Are you OK" first. The number of times the reply is that they are giving all they got but it is game 6 or they are filling in even injured because we were short or other reasons is way more than I would like.

If they are physically OK, then I generally go situational or instructional
'What happened with that ball to SS; why did you do X instead of getting to Y'
"When X happens, I really need to do Y because I have to do Z"

If they are receptive great; I can work with that and we moving forward on the journey to being better
If they don't want to learn; well we will get through this game, and then onto the 'not umpiring with me' list until I hear you have changed.

I am sure there is other things; but this is my first thoughts at least.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I agree with all the steps Marriard said, but especially the "be ultra-professional and bust your a##". I HOPE it pisses them off and they think I am trying to show them up in such a manner. If they get mad enough, they just may step up their own game. If nothing else, it will make the school AD/TD/assignor realize how much a shlub this cat is.

Last edited:

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
As an ump myself; I hate it when umps try to be the center of attention. We've all seen the Tik Tok of the goofball clown doing a little dance around in a circle before making the out call at home. Pure buffoonery.

I also hate it when umps go overboard on nitpicking stuff. DD is an up-and-coming ump that our association really wants to move along quickly, and a relatively high-level player (D1 commit). She went out to do two sets of our championships last year and the UIC is like "Yeah, you have to LOOK for stuff to call." She's like "Uh, no, nobody came to watch us." As a former pitcher she had pitched at our championships for many years and gotten very sick of that perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles