These kids are good..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Recent ones were a dad throwing front toss with no screen. Dude wasn’t even flinching (he’s probably a serial killer now that I think about it).
I still remember the exact time and place where I said “ nope, never again will I ever throw front toss without a screen!“

Serial killer or not, his time is gonna come!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Back in the day, I sent out VHS Tapes for some of my players. Also, drove to deliver them in person to some schools. I once drove to a school about 3 hours away from my house and left my lights on when I went in to talk to the HC. It was frigid cold and my battery was dead when I came out. The coach had me sit around to watch their inside baseball practice and then got a jump for my car. My player went there for a couple of years and then to pro ball. They would have never seen that player play without me doing this. Things like recruitment sure have changed since I first began coaching back in the day when we had to check out to see if Torontosaurus Rex was out looking for lunch.

Jun 8, 2016
Back in the day, I sent out VHS Tapes for some of my players. Also, drove to deliver them in person to some schools. I once drove to a school about 3 hours away from my house and left my lights on when I went in to talk to the HC. It was frigid cold and my battery was dead when I came out. The coach had me sit around to watch their inside baseball practice and then got a jump for my car. My player went there for a couple of years and then to pro ball. They would have never seen that player play without me doing this. Things like recruitment sure have changed since I first began coaching back in the day when we had to check out to see if Torontosaurus Rex was out looking for lunch.
First time I ever saw my swing was college where the coach took a video and we watched it on a VCR.

Other than my coaches/father talking to scouts/college coaches at games, “recruiting” for me consisted of visiting some D1 schools in the Northeast after my freshmen year and talking with the coaching staff after my HS coach had contacted them. After I tore my ACL before my JR year any chance of going to those schools and not having to walk on went out the window and I just ended up going to a better academic D3 school where they never actually saw me play before I stepped on campus.

Things have certainly changed, by and large for the better in terms of kids being able to show what they have going for them. Back in the day, in the Northeast at least, a lot of times it came down to playing well at the right time.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2021-02-20-12-09-22-1.png
Glad it amused you it was HUMOR.
The gist of post was intended to reflect why players are doing what they do now.

New reality show comming soon
'watch-us-train'

Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 21119
Glad it amused you it was HUMOR.
The entire gist of post was.

New reality show
'watch us train'
Actually it wasn’t your post that amused me..don’t go off and become a standup comic just yet 😛

They are doing what they are doing now because it is easy, not necessarily because it is beneficial. I mean back in the day I could have called every coach on the East coast and left a voice message telling them that I hit in the cage last night but that would have taken more work..😉

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
become a standup comic 😛
Yeah what is posted is in line with the assortment
of anything and EVERYTHING
( literaly EVERYTHING )
That oddly attracts others too watch.

How manys hits watched my hitting?

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah what is posted is in line with the assortment
of anything and EVERYTHING
( literaly EVERYTHING )
That oddly attracts others too watch.

How manys hits watched my hitting?
I guess my question is unless you are a super stud and could literally post anything and not have it effect your recruiting, is the endless “look at me” behavior actually detrimental? The way society is pretty numb to the whole thing by this point, the answer is probably no..

Jul 14, 2018
There was a lengthy Twitter thread on here not too long ago. While I agree that tagging coaches out of the blue doesn’t help anyone, there are social media mechanics that come into play with constant posting.

Mostly, players follow and are followed by many general softball Twitter accounts. By posting constantly about what they’re doing, they are hoping to get re-tweeted and seen by a larger audience, especially coaches who may also follow these accounts with large followings.

Why so much? Because the general softball accounts have to tweet constantly to stay visible on everyone’s feed. That means they’re always looking for something to repost. The more you throw out there, the better your chances of being noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
There was a lengthy Twitter thread on here not too long ago. While I agree that tagging coaches out of the blue doesn’t help anyone, there are social media mechanics that come into play with constant posting.

Mostly, players follow and are followed by many general softball Twitter accounts. By posting constantly about what they’re doing, they are hoping to get re-tweeted and seen by a larger audience, especially coaches who may also follow these accounts with large followings.

Why so much? Because the general softball accounts have to tweet constantly to stay visible on everyone’s feed. That means they’re always looking for something to repost. The more you throw out there, the better your chances of being noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a bit skeptical that posting tee work or short hop drills will get you on anybodies radar but if it works more power to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man