The talk I was hoping wouldn't happen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is time for *you* to change your focus. You need to start talking to her about academics and life after college. Talk about academics, her post-college plans and her social life first. Then, if you have time, talk to her about softball.

The next four years fly by. You don't want your DD after she graduates from college to be sitting in her room trying to think of what she is to do next. What she does academically is 1000x more important that what she does on the softball field.

Softball in college is not what you or she thinks it is going to be. It is not nearly as fun as you and she think it will be. The team plays about 60 games in a year, or roughly 45 days of softball games. As a freshman, she might not even play. The rest of the time it is weight lifting, conditioning, and practice. It is a lot of boring, tedious work. She may decide quit after a year or two of softball.

So, start talking about life after college.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Does Hallmark have a card for this.....:eek:

It was just a simple card that had an extremely tiny envelope glued to it that you had to open up. Inside that tiny envelope it said,
Yay You!
nuff said...
Well, until I filled in all the details on the inside.

Aug 26, 2015
Awesome news iMlearning! Glad to hear it. Does anyone else feel like they've adopter her DD following this thread? I know I have!

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I have had this conversation with myself many times. I have invested a lot in my DDs softball with pitching lessons, hitting lessons, travel, etc. I have sat on a bucket for so many hours and driven all over the southeast and northeast. She is targeting mostly D3, D2 and NAIA schools. I think she likes the smaller schools more and I think the programs she is looking are where she is in regards to talent. The only D1 she is looking at is Ivy League.

Although I am sure I would be disappointed like you IMlearning, I have to remind myself of all the wonderful things she has learned from softball that will translate into her being a successful person and a good human being....teamwork, work ethic, gratitude, goal setting, dealing with adversity, being teachable, etc. We have been to several camps where the coach either said to me or DD that she was very coachable and how much they liked her hard work. When I hear that it makes me really proud of DD and to me those attributes are what is important. If she plays in college it will just be icing on the cake.

Oct 10, 2011
The date has been set now for her to stay the night with the team, workout and go to a football game. It's pretty exciting!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish