The talk I was hoping wouldn't happen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
The date has been set now for her to stay the night with the team, workout and go to a football game. It's pretty exciting!

Like others - hoping for the best! You and I started posting on this site around the same time. Our dds are similar in age and position, so I've always felt this sort of kindred spirit thing with you, and just wanted to know that, well, you know. Best wishes!!

Oct 10, 2011
Like others - hoping for the best! You and I started posting on this site around the same time. Our dds are similar in age and position, so I've always felt this sort of kindred spirit thing with you, and just wanted to know that, well, you know. Best wishes!!
It's crazy 29 how time has past so fast. When I first came on here DD had been turned down for rec allstars and we were just looking to improve. DFP and BBD changed everything for her. Despite all the arguments that go on, these are some pretty great people on here. I still don't know if she'll play at the next level, but she has already exceeded my expectations.
Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your daughter's amazing journey.

Oct 10, 2011
Well, I just got a call from my wife and they've offered DD a roster spot. She's staying the night, going out to dinner, and seeing a V-ball game with some of the team. DW & DD will meet again with the coaching staff in the morning to see if she enjoyed her stay and to talk about additional monies available.
My wife was excited to say that the first thing the coach said was, "Wow!, that girl is strong!" Apparently she hit great and then they sat her down and viewed video with her. He said she really knew what she was talking about. Of course! She's DFP trained;)
DW said that DD was having a blast so far and thinks she will definitely want to go there.
-One year ago today, we found out that DD's Kidney Surgery wasn't needed...the surgeon at Children's Hospital said it was a miracle (thanks Facebook for reminding me LOL).
-Today she gets offered a roster spot
-It's our Anniversary
I think this is our lucky day!
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know the final word tomorrow, but the hard part is over at least.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It's crazy 29 how time has past so fast. When I first came on here DD had been turned down for rec allstars and we were just looking to improve. DFP and BBD changed everything for her. Despite all the arguments that go on, these are some pretty great people on here. I still don't know if she'll play at the next level, but she has already exceeded my expectations.
Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your daughter's amazing journey.

I hope your journey keeps going! I am just getting back into the dfp mood. Hope the weekend goes great for her!

We quickly went into the same boat with some lack of softball desire! As I have been texting 29dad, knight sb, and a few others (cannonball I need to touch base), we had huge expectations for fall "showcasing" and it was pretty disappointing. Dd hit just ok (smacking home runs against good pitching in practice but a bit mental in games). Her teams play…well end of season 16 gold practices were spent on base running basics that I taught at 10u…they were weak! Schedule, well…we saw 1 D1 coach first weekend who contacted about dd, after that I think I saw a total of 4 coaches (d3 and naia) at her games! Then weather, 2 of the 6 tourneys were cancelled and 2 of the 4 played were rained out on Sunday! A ton of disappointments that dd has taken as carma that it just wasn't meant to be.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I hope your journey keeps going! I am just getting back into the dfp mood. Hope the weekend goes great for her!

We quickly went into the same boat with some lack of softball desire! As I have been texting 29dad, knight sb, and a few others (cannonball I need to touch base), we had huge expectations for fall "showcasing" and it was pretty disappointing. Dd hit just ok (smacking home runs against good pitching in practice but a bit mental in games). Her teams play…well end of season 16 gold practices were spent on base running basics that I taught at 10u…they were weak! Schedule, well…we saw 1 D1 coach first weekend who contacted about dd, after that I think I saw a total of 4 coaches (d3 and naia) at her games! Then weather, 2 of the 6 tourneys were cancelled and 2 of the 4 played were rained out on Sunday! A ton of disappointments that dd has taken as carma that it just wasn't meant to be.

OH and the team had to do hitting drills that made me about go postal! A lot of work on dragging and wrist flicking at the right time. "The wrist flick is where the power comes from"….then the "rapid fire hitting drill" OMG! It went on for about 5 min per hitter every practice! Everytime they did it, dd had elbow pain. I couldn't hold back one practice and said "talk about a good mechanics killer!"

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

No problem, I realize you are very busy this time of year.

If I may, and on this subject, I just talked to another player with a lot of ability that is feeling the pressure. This young lady is not from my school and so, she kind of opened up. She said that she knows she doesn't have any pressure from her parents BUT she feels like it because they have invested so much money in TB. In a way, she wants to quit. Yet, she still loves playing. After a few minutes, I told her that she was so confused. My advice to her was for her to clear out the static. Static meaning all of those things she thinks she knows and then concentrate on what she knows. First, she loves playing. Second, she knows her parents will support her no matter what. Next, she doesn't care what level she plays in college and now admitted to herself that her parents don't care as well. I think that was the breakthrough. She has a school that she really likes but it isn't what she thought her parents wanted and she didn't think she measured up. Once she allowed herself to think it through, and believe me, I did very little but listen, she "fixed herself." With NLI signings this coming week, she is no longer worried about her decision. Good for her. I hope this helps someone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish