The talk I was hoping wouldn't happen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Of course tell her! It sounds like the school (a sure thing) and program (sounds like a 90-100% sure thing) are definitely interested. A little love is never a bad thing!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Thank you all so much for the PM's and replies to the thread. I've been slammed at work and haven't been able to be on here much. I wanted to give you all an interesting update. DD received an email from the one top notch D2 schools yesterday saying they were still interested in her and still have money available and she should come and stay with the team. She said she's already made up her mind and didn't want to talk about it... I of course said, you have nothing to lose by going. I've never seen her give up on anything. That was the end of the discussion but I decided to call the University to see why she had never heard from them about her application. I actually talked to the head of admissions and he apologized that the person reviewing her file was out of town for awhile and it's been held up. He had me hold while he reviewed her file and said, "well, she's been accepted but the official letter won't be mailed until next Friday." He also then said, she's also been awarded a very large academic scholarship! The scholarship is over 60% of the tuition and she could potentially get some athletic monies also because they have some left for 2016's.
My wife and I are thrilled but not sure what to do. I want DD to open the acceptance letter and experience that, but on the other hand, if she knew, she may get excited to stay overnight and workout with the team in 2 weeks. We'd also need to get a hotel for a couple nights also. That's where we are at. Any thoughts?

Maybe approach it like this: Tell her it's an opportunity to go on an overnight somewhere and be treated like a Disney princess. She can meet some people, have some college-level fun and generally have a good time. Even if she doesn't want to play ball or go to the school. Maybe once she's in the atmosphere there and experiences the school first-hand she might think "Hey, this isn't so bad" and reconsider. It's worth a shot.

One of my few regrets in life was not taking advantage of some of those opportunities when I was in high school (for academics, not athletics). I probably missed out on a lot of fun.

Oct 10, 2011
Maybe approach it like this: Tell her it's an opportunity to go on an overnight somewhere and be treated like a Disney princess. She can meet some people, have some college-level fun and generally have a good time. Even if she doesn't want to play ball or go to the school. Maybe once she's in the atmosphere there and experiences the school first-hand she might think "Hey, this isn't so bad" and reconsider. It's worth a shot.

One of my few regrets in life was not taking advantage of some of those opportunities when I was in high school (for academics, not athletics). I probably missed out on a lot of fun.
Thanks Ken. She's met and really liked the HC and also met one of their All Americans...that's who'd she'd stay with. I think it's a no brainer but I'm not a teenager with thoughts of going to a big name school.
I'm going to tell her tonight with some balloons etc...!:D

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Make it 6 out of 6. Sounds like a great opportunity for her and for your financial well being as well lol. As a dad who writes out at 1200 dollar check every month for college, it would be awesome to have 60 percent of that paid for.

Good luck and I hope she at least gives it a chance. May end up being a great fit for her.

Oct 10, 2011
As a dad who writes out at 1200 dollar check every month for college, it would be awesome to have 60 percent of that paid for.
That kind of makes me nauseous!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06