The talk I was hoping wouldn't happen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you all so much for the PM's and replies to the thread. I've been slammed at work and haven't been able to be on here much. I wanted to give you all an interesting update. DD received an email from the one top notch D2 schools yesterday saying they were still interested in her and still have money available and she should come and stay with the team. She said she's already made up her mind and didn't want to talk about it... I of course said, you have nothing to lose by going. I've never seen her give up on anything. That was the end of the discussion but I decided to call the University to see why she had never heard from them about her application. I actually talked to the head of admissions and he apologized that the person reviewing her file was out of town for awhile and it's been held up. He had me hold while he reviewed her file and said, "well, she's been accepted but the official letter won't be mailed until next Friday." He also then said, she's also been awarded a very large academic scholarship! The scholarship is over 60% of the tuition and she could potentially get some athletic monies also because they have some left for 2016's.
My wife and I are thrilled but not sure what to do. I want DD to open the acceptance letter and experience that, but on the other hand, if she knew, she may get excited to stay overnight and workout with the team in 2 weeks. We'd also need to get a hotel for a couple nights also. That's where we are at. Any thoughts?

That's awesome, congratulations! Girls change their mind a lot at that age. When I first brought up the idea of DD attending a camp in Iowa her words.. "No way, all they have is corn there". Today she's loving life in Ames IA,

I wish you and your DD lots of luck!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMLearning, she is welcomed to talk to my daughter any time about top notch D-II softball and the thrill of going to a D-II school. I know you don't want to put pressure on her. Just an offer.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
I agree. BIG DII may be the way to go with good grades. Mine turned down 4 mid major D1 and stayed closer to home at a BIG DII. Ended up with similar Ball money, but more academic money. DII tend to be more expensive, but it is all about the education. 18-20 in class in DII vs. 50 - 100 in D1.

I am sure she will make the right choice for her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Although its probably not the way she ideally would want to find out, count me in with those who think the new developments are something you need to tell her about.

Even without the athletics consideration, IMO it is a good idea to do an overnight at different schools for comparison purposes.

To me, it sounds like DD may have been steeling herself after being disappointed that her school/softball plan of choice didn't seem to be working out as she wanted. Even if she is uncertain about whether SB may re-enter the equation, she'd got nothing to lose with an overnight.

Good luck and here's to hoping she's happy with the news!

Apr 1, 2010

Oh, man, the Quad Cities. We used to try to make a pit stop there on our way from KC to Chicago. It was hard to find a nice gas station during the day, but in the years we made the trip at night while DD slept, it was impossible. They roll up the sidewalks once night falls. After having to go in the weeds behind a closed station one year I put my foot down and we started stopping in Coralville/Iowa City instead. There's an exit with a Walmart, Steak n' Shake and a big gas station all easy to reach, well-lit and open around the clock. MUCH better.

Oct 10, 2011
I went out last night and bought some balloons and a card and when DD came home she's like "what the heck is this?" We sat her down and she opened the card and paused for a second and started to get teary eyed. She said "I actually got this scholarship!?" I explained what happened and she just broke down in tears and said she'd stay overnight with the team. My wife started her IPad and played a video showing the campus that had been sent to her by a friend who's son played baseball there. It was beautiful and funny at the same time with this dramatic music playing in the background. I just had to laugh. It was a moment I don't think I'll forget.
My wife and I really didn't know how she'd respond- she can be confusing LOL. She was in a great mood this morning getting up at 5 AM to go to her last TB tournament and I hear she's having a good start to the day.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I went out last night and bought some balloons and a card and when DD came home she's like "what the heck is this?" We sat her down and she opened the card and paused for a second and started to get teary eyed. She said "I actually got this scholarship!?" I explained what happened and she just broke down in tears and said she'd stay overnight with the team. My wife started her IPad and played a video showing the campus that had been sent to her by a friend who's son played baseball there. It was beautiful and funny at the same time with this dramatic music playing in the background. I just had to laugh. It was a moment I don't think I'll forget.
My wife and I really didn't know how she'd respond- she can be confusing LOL. She was in a great mood this morning getting up at 5 AM to go to her last TB tournament and I hear she's having a good start to the day.

That is awesome!! Can't wait to hear how the overnight stay goes!:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma