Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2019
And thanks for the comments especially the series of images.

Is that a program you use?

Jun 8, 2016
I tend to side with @Work=wins on this (I think..now excuse me while I go shower off that feeling ;) ) as my DD typically slots too early when she isn't moving her mass out on time, e.g. getting stuck on her backside and not stretching it (the core) forward (there is your SB reference @Work=wins since you seem to miss him :LOL: ) correctly. So what @Work=wins mentioned initially, and what others have said regarding early slot, may be related imo.

Anybody have the JD Martinez BP clip where he is hitting with no stride and very little rotation? Might be useful for the OP.

Edit: There is also a hands/forearms component to it (the early slot) as well at launch but if the core is not used properly beforehand it will still be an issue imo

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I wouldn't think so. Because you can only resist so much before the core etc. Pulls the elbow into the slot. It would cause them to lock up or sync up together, if that makes sense. To use myself as an example, to try and feel this to relay to my DD, I felt the resistance. By the way may swing is not that great, so just bear with it. LOL

your back elbow never slots because of the pull back. It results in a push. With a pull back you are forced to push your hands forward or ‘turn’ the barrel behind you for speed. The body should move forward before the hands go anywhere for the most part. Especially for kids who lack kinesthetics and proprioception.

take a look at Miggy. Do his hands pullback or does his body go forward first? Do his hands stay in the same relative spot in space and go back relative to his body? Or the other way around?

Oct 2, 2017
your back elbow never slots because of the pull back. It results in a push. With a pull back you are forced to push your hands forward or ‘turn’ the barrel behind you for speed. The body should move forward before the hands go anywhere for the most part. Especially for kids who lack kinesthetics and proprioception.

take a look at Miggy. Do his hands pullback or does his body go forward first? Do his hands stay in the same relative spot in space and go back relative to his body? Or the other way around?

I view it as its happening at the same time. in sync until toe touch. You can tell by the raising of his rear elbow. It gets into its final position and the same time as fool plant. If you watch my video again. My elbow etc. gets moves to its final position roughly in sync with the foward move. until foot plant. My hands once I get into the hip basically stay in the same general area. Some hitter hands move in space more than others. I guess me and you have a different understanding of what the slotting of the rear elbow is. I say its imposible not to slot the rear elbow. If it is like the Hitters shown of the 2 college girls you posted, that that at lease to me is beyond just slotting that is boarderline elbow dragging. I view it as the elbow gets pulled into the slot. Miggy above is not just jetting his elbow down. Its being pulled down. IMO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I view it as its happening at the same time. in sync until toe touch. You can tell by the raising of his rear elbow. It gets into its final position and the same time as fool plant. If you watch my video again. Once I try and get in the rear hip my hands and make the forward move, basically they stay also in roughly the same place. Some hitter hands move in space more than others.

his body is already on its way as the elbow raises. Very important. Your back elbow has gotten to its max range before your body has moved 2 inches forward. Basically your hands are stuck. Try both ways. One way you will feel your hands free and the other you will feel stuck. Said another way the scap gets retracted. You don’t retract it actively. Your forward move does it.

Jun 28, 2019
Clemens I like the video just get it in slow motion next time. Full speed swings pretty much all look good to me. Sometimes I can see things in slow motion that make me question the quality of the swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Clemens I like the video just get it in slow motion next time. Full speed swings pretty much all look good to me. Sometimes I can see things in slow motion that make me question the quality of the swing.
You can slow it down in youtube (which is why I would suggest you post yours in full speed from now on)

Edit: at least you can do that on a workstation..don't own a cellphone so I have no idea how youtube works on the browsers on those new-fangled contraptions.

Oct 2, 2017
his body is already on its way as the elbow raises. Very important. Your back elbow has gotten to its max range before your body has moved 2 inches forward. Basically your hands are stuck. Try both ways. One way you will feel your hands free and the other you will feel stuck. Said another way the scap gets retracted. You don’t retract it actively. Your forward move does it.

Manny here, looks to do it actively. But I do understand what you are saying. Don't pick on this DAD's swing 😅 But to my eyes it still seems to occur at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32