First time Ghost Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2021
Finally gave in and ordered a Ghost Advanced for DD. It arrived today and I’m looking for any advice or best practice to extend the life of the bat. We’ll break it in per Easton specifications, only use in 60 degree and warmer games etc. Should I let her use it during hitting lessons/hitting practices? Tee work? Front toss? Games only? Any and all input appreciated

May 13, 2021
It has a year warranty, use it then when it cracks send it back and get another one. When they are young you need to size up every year or two any way, which should be just about the time the replacement bat is broken.

May 20, 2015
TBH we have an original GA, first run, got it in January of whatever year it came out from Core....it has been used for everything in all sorts of weather......DD1 used it for 2 years straight, DD2 used it on and off, and a girl on our team used it all last year

TBH it is finally cracked, probably to the point where a careful visual inspection would get it tossed.......but it's still going

i still say a majority of the fragility scare with the Ghosts was WAY overblown

Aug 20, 2017
Don’t hit weighted balls or baseballs with it. I always try to only use my best softballs for and type of BP. We have only had 2 completely break over the years. One was in a live game on a 65mph inside pitch that DD hit off the connection piece. I agree that the break frequency of the ghost is overblown. I think knowing the warranty only last 1 year makes players/parents hit it too much after it’s fully hot. Once DD gets hers to the point where she knows it’s hot it becomes a game only bat. I’ll buy off eBay or sideline if I find a good deal to start getting the next one ready.

May 21, 2018
DD has cracked every ghost she's owned. I think we are on her 4th or 5th at this point (counting replacement bats). This one has a couple pretty good cracks on it, but it still hits fine and we haven't seen a bat inspection in years so she keeps using it.
Point being, don't be afraid to keep using it if it's cracked a bit.

Aug 8, 2023
MN
Definitely do a good job of breaking it in. As others have said, no machine balls, no heavies, and try to not use it below 50F. My daughter has had 4 Advanced plus a Double Barrel and has loved them all. Whenever we have to replace another bat, she's wanting a 2023 Double Barrel over the 2024 Advanced, she likes the feel of it better.

Expect some paint chips/cracks, but keep using it until you can see an actual crack in the metal.

Oct 26, 2019
Don’t hit weighted balls or baseballs with it. I always try to only use my best softballs for and type of BP. We have only had 2 completely break over the years. One was in a live game on a 65mph inside pitch that DD hit off the connection piece. I agree that the break frequency of the ghost is overblown. I think knowing the warranty only last 1 year makes players/parents hit it too much after it’s fully hot. Once DD gets hers to the point where she knows it’s hot it becomes a game only bat. I’ll buy off eBay or sideline if I find a good deal to start getting the next one ready.
I’ve always heard don’t hit baseballs with a softball bat? Curious - what is it about the baseballs? Are they harder? More dense?

Aug 20, 2017
I’ve always heard don’t hit baseballs with a softball bat? Curious - what is it about the baseballs? Are they harder? More dense?
The surface area of a baseball causes impact on the bat to be so much smaller. All the impact is in a tighter spot due to barrel diameter of softball bats and size of a baseball. Composite doesn’t like that lol! Composite baseball bats have larger barrel diameter which helps spread impact over more of the bat.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Are the cracking issues overblown? Probably. I think a lot of people return them for spider cracking of the paint instead of real cracks. Do they have more issues than other manufacturers? Absolutely. Why do some people, like Tim, have one that lasts so long, while other crack them after 25 swings? I'd say it's a lack of quality control, but that's just speculation.

As others have said, don't use them off a machine or in cold weather. If you have a spare bat to use for practice, do it. It might buy you some time.

One of my clients just sent me this picture of her daughter's DB Ghost. To be honest, I've never seen this happen with other bats, and sadly, this isn't the only one I've seen this happen to before.IMG_20240410_201815.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut