Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
this is hip rotation. Not core rotation. It’s a form of drag. Notice your dds hips open while her core stays square.

So the hips are pulling the core and the core is pulling the chest and then the arms, hands and bat. Notice the lead arm laying on the chest as she’s just turning to the ball?

you want to see the belly button turn before the hips or at the same time. Pitch location dependent.

It’s the main reason she comes up and out of posture as well. No spacing.

So his question was about the slotting of the Elbow and the barrel of the bat does nothing. In the gif the girl I assume has a low elbow position to start with. She then seems to drag the elbow (Maybe camera angle). The barrel doesn't start to arc until the core etc. starts to pull it. Here lead arm seems to stay connected to the chest, which you say is a sign of hip roation not core. So does it matter if the elbow slots and nothing happens with the bat?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So his question was about the slotting of the Elbow and the barrel of the bat does nothing. In the gif the girl I assume has a low elbow position to start with. She then seems to drag the elbow (Maybe camera angle). The barrel doesn't start to arc until the core etc. starts to pull it. Here lead arm seems to stay connected to the chest, which you say is a sign of hip roation not core. So does it matter if the elbow slots and nothing happens with the bat?

The sign that it’s hip rotation and not core rotation is the bb not going with or before the hands (pitch location dependent).

the checkpoint I use for drag is the barrel being worked/swung in the Sagittal plane. Not the back elbow etc. make sense?

edit: the lead arm can stay on the chest as long as the swing is in the Sagittal plane. I was merely showing the ‘affect’ of the drag the young lady has.

Oct 2, 2017
The sign that it’s hip rotation and not core rotation is the bb not going with or before the hands (pitch location dependent).

the checkpoint I use for drag is the barrel being worked/swung in the Sagittal plane. Not the back elbow etc. make sense?

edit: the lead arm can stay on the chest as long as the swing is in the Sagittal plane. I was merely showing the ‘affect’ of the drag the young lady has.

I think you may still be missing the question. Should the barrel of the bat start to arc in connection to the rear elbow slotting or is the elbow slotting without the barrel doing anything ok?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think you may still be missing the question. Should the barrel of the bat start to arc in connection to the rear elbow slotting or is the elbow slotting without the barrel doing anything ok?

The barrel reacts to the hands/arms. Which reacts to the core/spine which sets posture. Did that answer your question hopefully?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The barrel reacts to the hands/arms. Which reacts to the core/spine which sets posture. Did that answer your question hopefully?

This gets messy and confusing for parents who are listening to different movement patterns that aren't compatible..

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This gets messy and confusing for parents who are listening to different movement patterns that aren't compatible..

yeah. Not sure how to explain the other pattern.

edit: where’s SB when you need him ! He could explain what he used to believe. 😎

Reactions: TDS
Sep 29, 2014
View attachment 16260

She brings her back elbow down, and does not move the bat head back toward the catcher. It's still in the 'start' position. The bat should be pointed well in the other direction by now (I call the 'hip slot' position ). There's no way to recover after this.

The bat head should be straight up at 'toe touch', then move inch for inch as the back elbow comes down.

Do dry drills holding a wiffle bat. Start with back elbow up, forearm flat, and bat straight up. Then 'swing' only until the back elbow hits the hip.

Bring the bat down in sync/unison with the back elbow. Then incorporate this into a dry drill with a bat. Use a mirror.
I try not to let things go that can be misunderstood....what to you mean straight up and down bat head at toe touch....bat head should be pointing over SS towards left field...unless I'm just misunderstanding what you are describing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA