Front toss with windmill - 15+ Feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
I'm afraid to venture into this place as threads tend to go off the rails where things turn into religious or political type debates. lol. I don't social media well at all.

Is there any value to me replicating a windmill when throwing front toss? I just started experimenting with it, and the results have been a disaster. First and foremost, I'm terrible at it. I can't spot the ball like I can with just a slingshot motion. I also noticed that my DD's timing is a complete mess with the windmill. It's almost as bad as the hack attack machine. I just did a few reps dry in the mirror and it seems I have this pause at the top that I was unaware of. I'm effectively quick flipping with no consistent rhythm to time up to.

tl;dr:

I suck at windmill throwing front toss. Is there really any value for me to practice getting better or just keep it simple and stick to slingshot?

Jun 8, 2016
I suck at windmill throwing front toss. Is there really any value for me to practice getting better or just keep it simple and stick to slingshot?
Yes. The fact that her timing is messed up is the point of doing it..You will get better at it. Go watch a college team take BP..most often they will have somebody throwing windmill from 20 ft or so..

I used to do it then I tore my bicep doing it and even though I cannot tear it again where I did (I didn't get it fixed) I am afraid that I will tear it at the other connection point..(which would need surgery)

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Absolutely learn it. I do it for my daughters, as does their hitting coach, which greatly affects their timing. No one is saying you have to be perfect. Just replicate the motion to the best of your ability.

Jun 18, 2023
yeah. absolutely. My daughter was/is jumping out, but only in the windmill, so I could throw her normal lobs and she's be fine and swing and hit it and all that, but then she'd get into a game with the windup and freeze/bail. (She can't articulate why she's jumping out, claims she's not scared but I think that's gotta be it on some level)

You don't have to "pitch" it, just get used to having your non-dominate foot on the rubber, with your hand forward. Show 'em the ball and then just step and windmill and lob it to them at whatever speed. But at least they have to track the ball through the windmill and see it come out at that angle.

plus when you just lob it, you adjust to them too much. You almost don't WANT to spot it, because you're just playing to their strengths then.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm afraid to venture into this place as threads tend to go off the rails where things turn into religious or political type debates. lol. I don't social media well at all.

Is there any value to me replicating a windmill when throwing front toss? I just started experimenting with it, and the results have been a disaster. First and foremost, I'm terrible at it. I can't spot the ball like I can with just a slingshot motion. I also noticed that my DD's timing is a complete mess with the windmill. It's almost as bad as the hack attack machine. I just did a few reps dry in the mirror and it seems I have this pause at the top that I was unaware of. I'm effectively quick flipping with no consistent rhythm to time up to.

tl;dr:

Sometimes parents struggle with this because they are focused on throwing strikes. Then, when you can't do so instantly, you think that you are hurting your child's chances of being a good hitter. Instead, throw when your dd isn't hitting and get a feel for it. It doesn't have to take long. If you have a spare 20 minutes every few days, go throw. Eventually, it will come to you. BTW, don't "aim" the pitch. You have to generate arm speed to be consistent. It doesn't have to be fast but it can't be slow. Slow or aiming often creates an arc on the pitch and that isn't good for the hitter to time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles