First time Ghost Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
My daughter has cracked at least 6 Ghost bats in the past two years. Easton has been great with replacement bats. She always has two Ghosts in the bat bag. She has also cracked her share of Demarini, Mizunos, and LXT's. We hit a lot, far more than your average travel ball player, lots of front toss and tee work. When you hit 4 times per week and hitting around 300-400 balls per week that adds up real fast. The last few Ghost bats have lasted 6 months, not that bad in my honest opinion.

We have had a few Ghosts that broke in the first week of owning them. Those are just defective bats. The bats that break after 6 months are just from overuse and general wear and tear.

Aug 9, 2021
I've bought plenty of bats...only one has broken and only after 2-3 days of use. I say go hit the bat however you want. Out of an abundance of caution I have DD do 100+ hits off the tee rotating it around, then its fair game. Dimple balls, regular balls, 10" balls,12" balls, wiffle balls, weighted balls, 30 degrees, 108 degrees. Whatever. We way over think this stuff.

Oct 26, 2019
The surface area of a baseball causes impact on the bat to be so much smaller. All the impact is in a tighter spot due to barrel diameter of softball bats and size of a baseball. Composite doesn’t like that lol! Composite baseball bats have larger barrel diameter which helps spread impact over more of the bat.
Makes sense - thanks for the reply. We didn’t have composite bats long when I was coaching high school baseball before we went to bbcor.

May 18, 2019
I'm chuckling at the absurdity of a thread about how to baby a bat and the fact that every serious softball player I know with a ghost has two because one has broken. I maintain my speculation that Easton intentionally makes bats that break to sell two at a time to one player and because it creates a marketing mystique that they are so on the edge they break. That sound though. The number of college players hitting bombs with competitor equipment should be evidence that the average travel player is getting played.

May 18, 2019
I'm chuckling at the absurdity of a thread about how to baby a bat and the fact that every serious softball player I know with a ghost has two because one has broken. I maintain my speculation that Easton intentionally makes bats that break to sell two at a time to one player and because it creates a marketing mystique that they are so on the edge they break. That sound though. The number of college players hitting bombs with competitor equipment should be evidence that the average travel player is getting played.
And another thing is that the industry collusion on a $400 bat is an equity issue for the sport and kids that can't afford them. Not Eastons fault alone but sad nonetheless.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Saw this the other day. It ain't the tools. It's the carpenter.Screenshot_20240409_203353_Instagram.jpg

May 18, 2022
Recently on a bat testing youtube channel they compare a BBCOR, BESR, slow pitch and then I think a 2020 GA 34/26 hitting baseballs. The GA held up and was getting 115+ exit velos, so maybe DDs need to hit the gym and start swinging heavy bats, then they won't break anymore :)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I saw this too, but in fairness they dont get to choose what bats they swing.
Always cracks me up people posting that pic. I love Mizunos bats, but has nothing to with anything. The girls leading
college in homers, would do so with any bat...doesnt matter. And the College doesnt care what bat manufacturer it is, as long as
it the best deal for the college. The kids will use what they are told to use...haha. Mizuno likes to sign offensive teams, they have done a great job getting their products out there the past few years. There is a reason Mizuno sends that stuff to all the stores too :)

Heck, if people seeing that makes them wanna buy a Carbon1...i will be more than happy to sell one. But its not gonna make anybody
a HR hitter and I still always warn parents of the feedback one piece bats provide and the smaller ss.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Finally gave in and ordered a Ghost Advanced for DD. It arrived today and I’m looking for any advice or best practice to extend the life of the bat. We’ll break it in per Easton specifications, only use in 60 degree and warmer games etc. Should I let her use it during hitting lessons/hitting practices? Tee work? Front toss? Games only? Any and all input appreciated
What I do tell people is to kinda loosen the composite up first. Take a bunch of light swings and then like half swings.
Use regular balls, no dimple or whatever else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619