Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think front toss has value. Should not throw it slow but vary speeds. It about timing a moving object. That being said, I love the pitching machine too! How many times have you heard, "I don't like pitching machine because blah blah blah." Never made sense to me.
I like to hold one ball in the hole (Juggs) and simulate the windmill motion with another ball to help give the hitter something to time. Now if you have a good ex college pitcher that can come throw BP from 43 ft. that would be even better. But in the absence of that, the pitching machine is a very valuable tool IMO.

Dec 12, 2020
I think front toss has value. Should not throw it slow but vary speeds. It about timing a moving object. That being said, I love the pitching machine too! How many times have you heard, "I don't like pitching machine because blah blah blah." Never made sense to me.
I like to hold one ball in the hole (Juggs) and simulate the windmill motion with another ball to help give the hitter something to time. Now if you have a good ex college pitcher that can come throw BP from 43 ft. that would be even better. But in the absence of that, the pitching machine is a very valuable tool IMO.
I have a Juggs, just sitting next to the tee. Until March, outside is usually much too cold, but I think I'm going to throw some netting in the basement and fire it up. The wife will love it

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Temps reached near 60 today! Since DD has not swung a bat outside of the basement since the end of the last summer, she got off the bus to a homerun derby set up I put together from old construction fencing I had, spiked in the ground in a field by the house.

No instruction, just swinging for the fences, and finally seeing some balls in flight. Set up at just about 100', so it was somewhat attainable for her, or so I hoped. The mindset and enjoyment is o different than swinging on a nearby park field with 200 - 300' fences.

No homeruns, but hit the top of the fence off the tee once! She thought she had it. At 60lbs, I can't remember a time she's even cleared the infield, so the hard work must be paying off a little. She hits hardest off the tee; when I toss (the last pitch), she completely collapses and goes easy. We only had two more tosses before the neighbors yanked her away for basketball.

Ah well, took what I could get, and it was refreshing.

Video is below; as always, input is welcomed!

Dec 12, 2020
Ok ! She is having fun! Good job. She needs refinement. First move with arm extending has to change. She has a lot of potential.
We have good days, and bad days for sure.

When she swings hard the arms really do their own thing (except vs a moving ball, they just fall). She knows not to cheat the system, but can't break the habit. I think that, and keeping them "connected" (near the shoulder toward contact) will be our only focus for the time being.

Any ideas besides wrapping a band around her neck and top hand? Not sure she'll keep a smile with that one. Just keep on with the deltoid drill? We recently started a lot of SnF and she seems to maintain connection fairly well with those.

Thanks again RH.

Dec 12, 2020
Good morning all! We got some more swings in following our homerun derby. Mostly SnF to get a feel of suddenness and connection, and attempt to get some bat speed earlier.

It's a bit less violent than what she is used to, and when I break it down it looks like she is reaching out her stride leg, but she is trying to stay engaged with her back side until she launches.

This is one of her last swings, a bit of an outlier, and I'm posting because I was very happy with it. Mainly because there was some connection and a little less "arm engine," if you will, our focus at the moment.

Dec 12, 2020
Quick question for anyone with time.

Lately, DD seems to be making contact with a weak push "out front." Contact is at her front foot, it just looks to me like she is leaning back and her arms have nothing behind them. Maybe she is just reaching with the stride foot? She seems to get the tip of the bat, or often rolls over the top, without rolling her hands.

A second question, she seems to get to toe touch with her stride leg coiled. Should her front knee and hip be opening just before?

The recent swings attached illustrate what I mentioned that I think I'm seeing above.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Quick question for anyone with time.

Lately, DD seems to be making contact with a weak push "out front." Contact is at her front foot, it just looks to me like she is leaning back and her arms have nothing behind them. Maybe she is just reaching with the stride foot? She seems to get the tip of the bat, or often rolls over the top, without rolling her hands.

A second question, she seems to get to toe touch with her stride leg coiled. Should her front knee and hip be opening just before?

The recent swings attached illustrate what I mentioned that I think I'm seeing above.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.

Question: have you ever hit a golf ball?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom